Bryce 7 to Studio 4.5 issues

PoserversePoserverse Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Trying to export scene created in Bryce 7 pro to Daz Studio 4.5. I can do it from DS to Bryce but not the other way around. How can I do this?

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Trying to export scene created in Bryce 7 pro to Daz Studio 4.5. I can do it from DS to Bryce but not the other way around. How can I do this?

for some reason Bryce needs to be run as administrator to send to DS 4.5

• PoserversePoserverse Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Did not work.
    What I did was right click on Bryce and run as administrator. Am I suppose to save the scene first then send to DS?

edited November 2012

Rareth said:

Did not work.
    What I did was right click on Bryce and run as administrator. Am I suppose to save the scene first then send to DS?

I don't think you can send the whole scene just what you have selected,

*edit* hmm with the upgrade to the latest DS 4.5 pro I no longer need to run Bryce as admin to get objects into DS, and it appears textures now make it through the bridge.. I need to play with this some more.

Post edited by Rareth on
  • alxalx Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

On XP 32bit with DAZ pro 4.0.3.47 and Bryce pro 7.1.0.74 and running as admin, I can export from DAZ to Bryce but not vice versa. So I appear to have the same problem...

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Did not work.

*edit* hmm with the upgrade to the latest DS 4.5 pro I no longer need to run Bryce as admin to get objects into DS, and it appears textures now make it through the bridge.. I need to play with this some more.
    Just trying to send landscape and a few trees. I am going to go back to Poser and Vue, atleast there I can export the animation from Poser and have it work in Vue with no Issues,

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,104
    edited December 1969

Just trying to send landscape and a few trees. I am going to go back to Poser and Vue, atleast there I can export the animation from Poser and have it work in Vue with no Issues,

Sorry, you lost me there. You're unhappy because you cannot make the bridge Bryce to Studio work, so what has Poser and Vue to do with this?. By the way, I'm using Poser/Studio content to render in Bryce - and Carrara trees to render in Bryce.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

Did not work.

I've never had a need to get anything from Bryce into DS so I have no direct experience. From seeing many people talk about it over the past few years though the impression I get is that the Bridge was never really meant for getting thins from Bryce into Studio. I would think also there would be alot of work to do afterwards too since I'm doubtful that many of the material settings would make it across. Also since DS lights don't work in Bryce it's very likely Bryce lighting won't work in DS.

That being said what I have also noticed many of the people who have tried to get things from Bryce to other programs is that it's better to export using the export function rather then the bridge, to a format DS can read and then import that into DS. I hope that helps.

edited December 1969

I've never had a need to get anything from Bryce into DS so I have no direct experience. From seeing many people talk about it over the past few years though the impression I get is that the Bridge was never really meant for getting thins from Bryce into Studio. I would think also there would be alot of work to do afterwards too since I'm doubtful that many of the material settings would make it across. Also since DS lights don't work in Bryce it's very likely Bryce lighting won't work in DS.

That being said what I have also noticed many of the people who have tried to get things from Bryce to other programs is that it's better to export using the export function rather then the bridge, to a format DS can read and then import that into DS. I hope that helps.

Posing purposes is why I am trying to get my Bryce scene in to DS so I can pose the figure where I want

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Sorry, you lost me there. You're unhappy because you cannot make the bridge Bryce to Studio work, so what has Poser and Vue to do with this?. By the way, I'm using Poser/Studio content to render in Bryce - and Carrara trees to render in Bryce.

Because Poser and Vue work well together unlike Bryce and DS.

edited December 1969

The reason I want to do this is I am creating scenes in Bryce which I want to export to DAZ as backgrounds. When I export them in OBJ format, it will not allow groups so I would be forced to import them to DAZ individually, which is unacceptable...

Example: I'd like to use the gears, wall and stained glass clockface from the attachment as a generic DAZ background. This seems like a job for bridge, if only I could make it work. Not quite Poserverse's issue, but similar circumstances

clock.jpg
    515 x 666 - 103K
    edited December 1969

I know you can send Poser characters into Vue and set up your scene, I was not aware it worked the other way around.

Terrains don't get through the Bridge very well, the height map resolution gets butchered (from what I can tell at least) and scaling between the two programs is way way off, I have not found a way to get Bryce Units to match up to Daz Studio measurements.

it is alot easier to bring the pre-posed DAZ character into Bryce and set up lighting and camera positions there. this works for static scenes but not for animation.

The best use for Bryce in other programs that I have seen is to create Hi Res backgrounds for sky globes and IBL since you can export as HDR and Light Probes,

thas not to say you can't just export as .obj files and import into Daz or Poser,
    you can also export the height maps from terrains convert them to Jpeg and apply them to a plane primitive in Daz then crank up the displacement and bump mapping, this can duplicate the terrain object, I've done this and it looks ok, getting the materials to look ok on it is a whole another matter as Bryce's procedural shaders don't convert well to Daz.

example pic of a Daz import (of a poser character) into a Bryce Scene

James-sunset.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 865K
    edited December 1969

Posing purposes is why I am trying to get my Bryce scene in to DS so I can pose the figure where I want

Well the way I've always handled that is to pose the figure in Studio and then import it into Bryce via the bridge and move the posed figure where I want it. When it comes to landscapes unless you're going to have the figure climbing a tree or a cliff face it's not going to be interacting very directly with the landscape beyond where ground is. If I do plan on having the figure climbing a tree or cliff face then I'm likely to import the tree or the section of a cliff face that the figure is on. If the figure is interacting with a bryce object you can likely find something similar and pose it with that but not import the similar thing and then place the posed figure in the scene and position it to match the Bryce object. Or you could use the export function of Bryce and the import function of Studio to move the bryce object over to pose it with the figure and then send it back via the bridge but that just seems overly complicated to me.

I mean if you want to give up so quick and switch to Poser and Vue that's your choice but to give up so quickly/easily makes it seem like you were just looking for an excuse to give up on Bryce/Studio.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Because Poser and Vue work well together unlike Bryce and DS.

Bryce and DS work fine together, just because you can't make it work the way you want it to doesn't mean it doesn't work well. IT could also mean you're rigid or not very flexible.

edited December 1969

artificer said:
    The reason I want to do this is I am creating scenes in Bryce which I want to export to DAZ as backgrounds. When I export them in OBJ format, it will not allow groups so I would be forced to import them to DAZ individually, which is unacceptable...

Example: I'd like to use the gears, wall and stained glass clockface from the attachment as a generic DAZ background. This seems like a job for bridge, if only I could make it work. Not quite Poserverse's issue, but similar circumstances

Well in your case all you really need is the gear the figure is sitting on and even that could be worked around but the rest of it could be done by just rendering the scene in bryce and using that rendered image as your background in Studio or Poser. Where it could get tricky though is the lighting since both programs do lighting differently, you wouldn't want your background to look more real then your subject or vice versa.

edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven: I suspect that I'll be trying your suggestion just to see how it behaves, but I wanted to know how to get the bridge working... Evidentally, it takes an overinstall

@Rareth: I've already tried exporting figures from DAZ to Bryce, but I'm not happy with the way Bryce renders skin. DAZ seems to handle it better, so I'd like try it the other way around

Thanks everyone for your time

edited November 2012

artificer said:
    @LordHardDriven: I suspect that I'll be trying your suggestion just to see how it behaves, but I wanted to know how to get the bridge working... Evidentally, it takes an overinstall

Yeah I saw you mention that in a different thread. So you're saying that now that you've installed the latest version of Bryce you are able to import from Bryce into Studio via the bridge? Like I said before I have never needed to do that since I mainly use Studio only as a means to get stuff into Bryce.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited November 2012

Yes, an overinstall of Bryce alone seemed to address the issue (with the caveat that I already had the registry keys from the other thread in place beforehand) but the bridge was every bit as underwhelming as I was led to believe...

I'm going to have to try different exports formats to see it I can get something acceptable. Thanks again for all your help and support!

Post edited by alx on
    edited December 1969

artificer said:
    Yes, an overinstall of Bryce alone seemed to address the issue (with the caveat that I already had the registry keys from the other thread in place beforehand) but the bridge was every bit as underwhelming as I was led to believe...

I'm going to have to try different exports formats to see it I can get something acceptable. Thanks again for all your help and support!

No problem and sorry to hear it didn't work out as hoped. Hopefully you'll figure a workable solution thru the import/export options in the programs you're using. FWIW if you haven't seen them already that other thread has a few recent posts from someone named steveathome that gives some insights into the proper way (order) to install things to get things working correctly although it doesn't look like that's going to be much use to you now. Perhaps good for future reference though?

• weibinxweibinx Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

u can export your bryce stuff as collada format, and then u can import it to DS