• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Eiland in the Glas.

EilandInTheGlas2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 216K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: The model with the objects look really good. Though if she trying to get a tan while laying in the row boat she'll need a lot of sun screen. The latest tutorial is very good as well.

@Dave: I really like the look of your dragon image. Great job.

@electro: The first image is really interesting in that it appears the floor is dissolving revealing a substructure. Very nice. And your landscape is really good. And I personally think the birds are what set the entire scene, just that little touch.

@Roland: That look real nice. I'd like to get glass that looks that good.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just a bit of abstract fun.
    It started off the other day when I was doing the soft boiled eggs and then got tied up with today's earlier render of the metal dragon.
    I got thinking where a metal dragon would come from and I decided it would come out of a metal egg.

A plain metal egg wasn't very interesting though so I ended up with a collection of Fabergé type eggs.

So these three renders are just an exploration of lighting them.
    Pic1: Premium render lit by default sky and two radial fills.
    Pic2: Premium render lit by HDRI also used as backdrop to supply reflection.
    Pic3: Same as pic 2 but saved as HDR file and converted to .jpg in Photoshop.

Fab-Eggs-3.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 350K
    Fab-Eggs-2.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 370K
    Fab-Eggs-1.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 324K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: All three are wonderful, though, because of the slight variegated coloring, I prefer the second one. Are those just replicated spheres with texture added? Or is it only how the light plays off the surface of the spheres?

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited November 2012

GussNemo said:
    @electro: The first image is really interesting in that it appears the floor is dissolving revealing a substructure.

Thank you very much. You have immediatly recognized it. I found this material accidently in the Bryce libraries and thought it has an interesting behaviour.
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Impressive renders by everyone.

@ Electro-elvis – very impressive .. A plane, a box, a sphere and a sky .. curious to know which material you found accidently. :roll:

@Ronald I like the Eiland in Glass. Hope I can do something similar one day.

@Eireann – you are modeling some cool objects in Wings3D

My final render. Thanks to David who checked the scene. This render took 55mins - 256Rpp

Now to try the other tutorials by David.

obsure3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 28K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2012

Wondeful renders and works all.

At my end, still, the orient side-of-things calls. Deciding on the title: ‘Moonlight Rendezvous’ - nah...too little, actual moonlight; ‘Laterns of Love’ – hmm...too soppy; ‘China Girl 2’ – yeah, have a ‘China Girl’ artwork already in the forum, but might become boring when submitting ‘China Girl 100’ :) Settled, then, on just ‘Lanterns’ (there are, in a way, six in all).

Jay

lanterns.jpg
    1752 x 869 - 664K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: All three are wonderful, though, because of the slight variegated coloring, I prefer the second one. Are those just replicated spheres with texture added? Or is it only how the light plays off the surface of the spheres?

Yes, just the one egg replicated 25 times and the same texture added to all of them.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Wondeful renders and works all.

At my end, still, the orient side-of-things calls. Deciding on the title: ‘Moonlight Rendezvous’ - nah...too little, actual moonlight; ‘Laterns of Love’ – hmm...too soppy; ‘China Girl 2’ – yeah, have a ‘China Girl’ artwork already in the forum, but might become boring when submitting ‘China Girl 100’ :) Settled, then, on just ‘Lanterns’ (there are, in a way, six in all).

Jay

That's very cool... great atmosphere in that lighting.

Curious to know why 6 lanterns?
    I can only see three... where are the secret ones? :-)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Render of Volumetric Clouds following the first tutorial on them

followed by rolling ways on a beach

cloudbeach.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 664K
    clouds-volume.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 879K
    edited November 2012

Thanks Savage

I can only see three… where are the secret ones?

Hehaa...Moon, and the two reflections ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis, interesting scenes. Strange circuit boards under the sand? Curious... the impressionistic sky and landscape below works very well, the two circling birds really make a good focus.

Roland4, good, but don't forget you should have some free HDRI with your Bryce 7 content, these just as backdrops make nice reflections for glass and metal.

Jamie, I've browned her off a bit for you.

Dave, reminds me of alien. I wonder where Erich (@tlantis) has got to? We have not heard from him for a while... Anyhow, sort of abstractish organic metallic, nice and a bit horrible at the same time.

Mermaid, you are welcome.

Jay, I thought you might have a tricky answer to the lantern question. I nearly posed it myself. Great scene and use of light. The sky is nice and "deep".

Rareth, the clouds look good but I reckon the transition across the ambient channel is a bit too strong.

Right... computer has been rendering...

1, A browner Tori.

2, a skin test. Well, DS does not make life easy with its material choices when it bridges stuff over. I've had a good old tinker.

3, a more serious test, combining experimental settings with new lighting methods. Render time 1 hour.

Posture looks a bit weird to me, but that's how she loaded. I'll only take responsibility for the material modifications and the light. Please feel free to express an opinion folks!

Skin_test2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 177K
    Skin_test1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 91K
    bailed4_browned.jpg
    850 x 850 - 284K
    edited December 1969

Here's a puzzle for you David;

Or maybe not, all I can say is that I've been puzzling over it for most of the day.
    This morning for no reason what-so-ever, I decided to get the VW Beetle back out (I'd spent a lot of time a few months ago remapping all the mats to Bryce procedural ones and then Bryce crashed out and I hadn't saved it).
    So having spent a while re-doing all the materials, I recycled one of my recent scenes adding the car.

No matter what I've tried, I can't get rid of the black fireflies, though they reduce a lot when I render at 4RPP (I guess they disappear into the noise). I've changed the materials, the lighting the render settings... nothing works to get rid of them.

So the question is; Got any ideas? :-S

Sand-Beetle.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Here's a puzzle for you David;

Or maybe not, all I can say is that I've been puzzling over it for most of the day.
    This morning for no reason what-so-ever, I decided to get the VW Beetle back out (I'd spent a lot of time a few months ago remapping all the mats to Bryce procedural ones and then Bryce crashed out and I hadn't saved it).
    So having spent a while re-doing all the materials, I recycled one of my recent scenes adding the car.

No matter what I've tried, I can't get rid of the black fireflies, though they reduce a lot when I render at 4RPP (I guess they disappear into the noise). I've changed the materials, the lighting the render settings... nothing works to get rid of them.

So the question is; Got any ideas? :-S

Aye. I here are a few suggestions.

Set all materials to default grey - if black fireflies persist then the problem is probably an inverted normal on the model.

--> Delete bits of the model one at a time until fireflies vanish.

--> The bit you've just deleted bring it back (ctrl-z) and use "e" to mesh smooth it.

--> If that does not work, export the mesh. Take it into something like Wings3D. "Cleanup" and export back. Use the copy matrix command to slot it back into place.

Set all materials to default grey - if black fireflies vanish.

--> Try increasing the max ray depth to 12. See if they vanish. If so, the problem is you have transparent materials reporting "black" due to lack of depth.

--> Otherwise ungroup your model and use the random distribute to move everything slightly. If the fireflies vanish then the issue is you have a co-incident mesh surface with a transparent material applied to it. Put things back - look at the things with transparent materials and "juggle" them by fractions of a BR 0.002

Failing all else, send me the smallest bit of the scene that still exhibits the problem and I will attempt to root out the cause.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

David.

edited December 1969

Savage... it’s obvious why the fireflies in your image are popping up - salts in the waves' spray are corroding parts of the VW ;) Advice, park further up the beach – like the rest of us :)

David... just a query on the lighting re: using the Premium light setup versus the Obscure light setup. I’ve tried both methods, and the lighting IS amazing, however, as the end results look the same from both, is one method better over the other? Or, should one just use the Obscure method as it seems the easier of the two?

Jay

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Savage... it’s obvious why the fireflies in your image are popping up - salts in the waves' spray are corroding parts of the VW ;) Advice, park further up the beach – like the rest of us :)

David... just a query on the lighting re: using the Premium light setup versus the Obscure light setup. I’ve tried both methods, and the lighting IS amazing, however, as the end results look the same from both, is one method better over the other? Or, should one just use the Obscure method as it seems the easier of the two?

Jay

Tricky question. The answer is I don't know yet. Bear in mind, I tend to make the video's as I discover/uncover/invent the approaches. I'm always pressed for time so I combine experimenting with videoing which does kind of mean the idea's I present are almost as new to me as they are to you. I am perhaps too keen to share my idea's and should cook them a bit longer?

I would say this. Gel lighting offers guaranteed even light without risk of fireflies.

With Obscure light, it is possible to make "hot spots" on the inside of the gel by either driving the effect through the IBL light inside or through a normal radial light linked to it. This in turn can result in fireflies.

Obscure light can additionally be expanded to include glowing objects.

So maybe Obscure is better? If it is easier then I would say yes. Ease of use is important for something to be widely adopted.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited November 2012

Impressive renders by everyone.
    @ Electro-elvis – very impressive .. curious to know which material you found accidently. :roll:

@Mermaid and @David: Thank you a lot for your comment. I can not say precisely which material it was, but at least you can find it in the metall library at "exposed".

@Savage: I am late but I love your metallic dragon

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited November 2012

Aye. I here are a few suggestions.

Set all materials to default grey - if black fireflies persist then the problem is probably an inverted normal on the model.

--> Delete bits of the model one at a time until fireflies vanish.

--> The bit you've just deleted bring it back (ctrl-z) and use "e" to mesh smooth it.

Yup, that did it. The underside mesh was causing the problems. I smoothed it and that seems to have fixed the fireflies.
    I did this in another document that only had the Beetle loaded to speed up the process.
    The problem now being that when I tried to open the scene with the couple on the beach next to the VW so I could fix it in the scene, Bryce crashes out... Grrrr...

Will close everything down and re start the computer, see if that sorts out that little problem... Maybe the two people and the VW (plus multiple terrains to make water and half a dozen trees) are stretching Bryce memory to it's limit. >:-(

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

A veritable cascade of fascinating and amusing renders hitting the thread.

Wanted to mention a technical concern when the "Click thumbnail to see full-size image" route is used for viewing. On Internet Explorer (not sure about other browsers) the new window for every image (no matter what size) is opened slightly too small and the image is resized smaller to fit. Unless you click on the image again (magnifying glass cursor) or drag the window border outwards, you are still not seeing the full sized image.

The size difference isn't massive, but the resampling effect on the image quality is. So if you want to see what the artist posted, bear that in mind.

This happens with IE9 on Win7, and IE8 on WinXP.

(And just for added weirdness, the default Android 4 browser on my Galaxy Tab thing displays the hairy baboon avatar I used on the old forums, even though I've never activated it in the new forums. David Brinnen's hard stare avatar shows too, though I'm guessing he's turned it off)

edited November 2012

That's what I see.

Edit. And that's me keeping an eye on you!

Image2.jpg
    509 x 427 - 102K
    Image1.jpg
    308 x 286 - 49K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

I must say, those are some of the most convincing waves I've seen produced by Bryce, nice job.

edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    A veritable cascade of fascinating and amusing renders hitting the thread.

Wanted to mention a technical concern when the "Click thumbnail to see full-size image" route is used for viewing. On Internet Explorer (not sure about other browsers) the new window for every image (no matter what size) is opened slightly too small and the image is resized smaller to fit. Unless you click on the image again (magnifying glass cursor) or drag the window border outwards, you are still not seeing the full sized image.

The size difference isn't massive, but the resampling effect on the image quality is. So if you want to see what the artist posted, bear that in mind.

This happens with IE9 on Win7, and IE8 on WinXP.

For Firefox on a Mac, the problem is that when you max a picture someone's posted and it's bigger than the screen, the window it opens up in doesn't open with scroll bars, so at full size, you can't see it all, only the bit that's already in the window... Unless you download it (right click and save to disk) and open it up in Photoshop or some other photo application.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

"And that's me keeping an eye on you!"

So just 'cos I'm paranoid doesn't mean you're not out to get me.

dazflib.jpg
    723 x 685 - 83K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

_ PJF _ said:

(And just for added weirdness, the default Android 4 browser on my Galaxy Tab thing displays the hairy baboon avatar I used on the old forums, even though I've never activated it in the new forums. David Brinnen's hard stare avatar shows too, though I'm guessing he's turned it off)

Avatars were ported over from the old site, once they eventually got the avatars etc working, but they were the ones that had been added a couple of versions back, before the last site change on the old site.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    _ PJF _ said:

Avatars were ported over from the old site, once they eventually got the avatars etc working.

On a related topic. Any idea when we can have the Bryce gallery back? I think it was that more than anything that generated any interest in our products and so I'm kinda keen to see it make a return.

edited December 1969

We would really love to see the Galleries back, but I haven't seen any indication of when it is likely to be. Personally I think the delay has something to do with the lack of content advisory filters, but that is my opinion, not an official one. We really need those filters. Even I have renders I can't post here, and I am not know for doing overly "adult" stuff :coolsmirk:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    We would really love to see the Galleries back, but I haven't seen any indication of when it is likely to be. Personally I think the delay has something to do with the lack of content advisory filters, but that is my opinion, not an official one. We really need those filters. Even I have renders I can't post here, and I am not know for doing overly "adult" stuff :coolsmirk:

I don't about that - look at your avatar :cheese:

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2012

Rareth said:

I must say, those are some of the most convincing waves I've seen produced by Bryce, nice job.

why thank you, the credit should go to Mr. Brinnen though, it was his tutorial that I followed.
    he is right about the clouds though, they are a bit washed out at the top, they just take forever to render out.

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited November 2012

bigh said:
    chohole said:

I don't about that - look at your avatar :cheese:

LOL I became a GreatGrandmother on 16th November, so I am allowed to do that sort of adult stuff.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

why thank you, the credit should go to Mr. Brinnen though, it was his tutorial that I followed.
    he is right about the clouds though, they are a bit washed out at the top, they just take forever to render out.

Well to be fair I don't think I've seen David's waves, just the results of people following his tutorial on making them. So with that in mind I would say you did a better job at following his tutorial perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.