BACK AFTER SOME YEARS

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I RECENTLY DOWNLOADED THE FREE DS 4.5 AND FIND IT VERY GOOD.

THE INTERFACE IS VERY BEAUTIFUL AND THE GENESIS FIGURES ARE ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.

THE MORPHS LOOK AMAZING BUT THERE IS A LEARNING CURVE THAT I DONT NEED TO CLIMB IF I COULD USE THE FIGURES IN CARRARA.

SO, THATS THE QUESTION (AFTER SOME YEARS OUT OF CARRARA, EVEN THOU I HAVE ALL THE PRO VERSIONS, JUST TO BE CONNECTED):

CAN I USE ALL THE GENESIS FIGURES IN CARRARA 8?
THE POSER CONTENT TOO?
AND ALL THE OTHER DAZ CONTENT?

EXCUSE ME FOR THE QUESTION. I'VE SEEN THE GALLERIES OF RENDERS, BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD WAIT FOR THE NEXT OFFICIAL RELEASE OR CAN TEST IT WITH THE CURRENTLY BETA 8.5.

I JUST DON'T WANT TO LEARN A NEW 3D SOFTWARE, EVEN A MAGNIFICENT ONE, LIKE DAZ STUDIO 4.5.

THANK YOU

NELSON

Comments

• h1n0k4m1h1n0k4m1 Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Hit the button above the left shift please.

Post edited by h1n0k4m1 on
  • edited December 1969

WHAT???????

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

Making a post in a forum all in Upper Case is considered as shouting. Please release the caps lock is what is meant here.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Really? Never thought of it.
    I just wanted rto read better in the notebook little screen. just that. No need to shout.
    Thank you for the information. Living and learning
    Nelson

edited December 1969

Lol that's what i meant yea,

but back on topic, as far as i know you can use genesis in carrara 8,5.
    don't know for sure about poser, what i do with daz is save to dae and import to carrara. ( at least that is what i think i use to do... haven´t used daz in long time)

• edited December 1969

Well, thank you,
    that helped
    but what I was thinking is using content sold in DAZ like the environments,
    wich are all Poser format, like the Millenium Environment.

But use Genesis in Carrara 8 is a very good notice. I don't need to model characters anymore.
    PS I see in the announcement of the beta Carrara 8.5 the support for Genesis.
    But, I need to know in wich extent is this support.

Thank you for your advice
    Nelson

edited December 1969

Sorry i am not that well know with daz/poser in combination with carrara..
    So you will have to wait for someone with more knowledge to help you out here.

hope everything works out.

Cedric

• edited December 1969

Thank you, Cedric
    let's wait
    Nelson

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nelsao said:
    what I was thinking is using content sold in DAZ like the environments,
    wich are all Poser format, like the Millenium Environment.

If it opens in Poser6-8 it will most likely open in Carrara.

"Environment" products for Poser are generally just small dioramas or cyclorama "backdrop" props. Often just a simple painted curve like a photography or stage backdrop. Carrara would open this easily, but Carrara can also make its own realistic 3D environments (terrains, plants, skies), or import almost any hdr or panoramic image as a background.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Nelsao

I just want to clarify one point...

You can only load genesis into the latest version of Carrara 8.5 (Beta)

You can't load it into any previous versions of carrara,

Hope it helps :)

• edited December 1969

Nelsao! Welcome back.. been gone for years huh? So then we are still using the same full version of carrara (8.0) you are/use using then years ago when you bailed?

So you should still be familiar with the current version.

LOL!

• edited December 1969

``If it opens in Poser6-8 it will most likely open in Carrara.

“Environment” products for Poser are generally just small dioramas or cyclorama “backdrop” props. Often just a simple painted curve like a photography or stage backdrop. Carrara would open this easily, but Carrara can also make its own realistic 3D environments (terrains, plants, skies), or import almost any hdr or panoramic image as a background``.

Thank you ```Wetcircuit``,
    I know that those environments are just planes or geometry with photos, but, when used a good photo, works fine.

The terrain tools in Carrara are, in fact, the old 4 Elemnts plug in from good/old Raydream.
    I never seen a rendering from them that doesn`t look plasitic, so, I don`t use it too much. The sky is fine.

So, I`ll download the 8.5 and try the Genesis figures.

Thank you,
    Nelson

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Dont forget to check out Carrara Cafe probably new since you were last here.

http://carraracafe.com/

Note -if you download latest BETA carrara 8.5 you may experience issues - Like, not all Character morphs work though they do work in earlier releases of 8.5.
    should be fixed for the NEXT beta release due ??

Just warning in case you get put off if you try the last 8.5 Carrara beta

• edited December 1969

``Nelsao! Welcome back.. been gone for years huh? So then we are still using the same full version of carrara (8.0) you are/use using then years ago when you bailed?

So you should still be familiar with the current version.

LOL!``

Richard Chaos,

Thank you.

Yes, I have C 8.0 (and 7, and 6, and, 5 ...), not using it for some times. I always have a version of Carrara because I love the
    interface, the features are always great and the modeler, although other opinions, is very capable. But, for some reasons, don`t use too much.
    But, this time, with the Genesis figures, I will dive deep into the program, that`s why I`m asking for the implementation. Have superb figures in a program like Carrara is a dream of any animator. It`s not like poser ou DS, its a full fledged solution that I will not miss.

Not having to model all my figures or have to integrate models that not always work well, that`s what I need now.

By the way, is there a AniMate for Carrara?

Thank you

Nelson

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited November 2012

Hi :)

There's an Animate Importer plugin for carrara, which allows you to open animate blocks as key-frames in Carrara.

Most of the Animate clips were created using V4/M4 skeleton, and Genesis is different from those figures,. so, some animations may not work on Genesis, as well as they do on the figures they were made for.

Daz Studio, and Carrara also have a New Format (DUF) which can also transfer animation from DS (animate) to Carrara.

Once the animation is in Carrara,. you can render (as is) or convert it into a Carrara NLA (non linear animation) clip, which can be saved into your clips folders in the browser.

Carrara also has "Puppeteer", which you can use to create and record animation, created by moving your mouse over (pose dot's) which you create, in the Puppeteer's grid area.

:)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • edited December 1969

"Carrara also has “Puppeteer”, which you can use to create and record animation, created by moving your mouse over (pose dot’s) which you create, in the Puppeteer’s grid area".

wow, great news, thank you.

I forgot pupeteer, it's a great solution for animation.

If everything went fine in the next Carrara, it will be the best 3D solution available.

I'm in that (after some years out - I think 12 years, just upgrading, looking and .... not using at all).

Thank you
    Nelson

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I just have to add, that if you're getting plastic looking terrains in Carrara, then you're doing something wrong.

Oasis-rest1.2_1_.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I just have to add, that if you're getting plastic looking terrains in Carrara, then you're doing something wrong.

Now, just to clarify...

Is that an example of plastic-looking terrains, or not-plastic-looking terrains ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited December 1969

Now, just to clarify...

Is that an example of plastic-looking terrains, or not-plastic-looking terrains ?

troll.gif
    500 x 460 - 2M
  • edited December 1969

"Now, just to clarify…

Is that an example of plastic-looking terrains, or not-plastic-looking terrains ?"

Hey Joe (and Evilproducer),

I know Carrara can do good looking terrains. I can't do good terrains in Carrara, that's the truth.
    But, can we expect that Carrara gives us perfectly everything that existis in 3d software?
    For instance, the beatifull image you made, with this figure that I really apreciate, the good composition, the planes,
    the light: it's Carrara as I'm seeing now. Can't wait to create something like ithat (if I could).

But, it's not a terrain, exactly. The back planes are just visible.
    Even thou, ... look at the trees in the distance: this green is ...somewhat... plastic ...

But, is just a detail, and I can't absolutely do any better than that. Not even equal. And, it's just a question of taste.

Since I'm a painter too (just a hobby) I tend do dull the greens to avoid this look.

So, to not spent long times in the shader room, I just use the "environments", lots of them in my renders.
    As soon as I can install everything in Carrara 8.5 I will post two things: some modelings I made long ago in Carrara and a
    fake "landscape" with some low poly terrains covered with textures and planes with trees. Nothing as fancy but works with little
    rendering times.

Thank you for the informations,
    Nelson

edited December 1969

like this?

HF_CountryLane2000.gif
    460 x 259 - 8M
  • edited December 1969

"like this?"

E x a c t l y !!!

But,
    the character in the previous post is amazing.
    He looks somewhat... nervous.
    It's something related to plastic terrains?

By the way,
    that's what I want in Carrara.

Congratulations,
    Nelson

edited December 1969

nah, I am just trollin JM2000 %-P
    the scene is Howie Farkes Country Lane 2 on sale in store now
    all Howie's scenes are great and useful as a guide to create your own

• edited December 1969

"nah, I am just trollin JM2000
    all Howie’s scenes are great and useful as a guide to create your own"

It seems that Howie Farks becomes a legend in the community these days.
    His landscapes are perfectly crafted and I've heard they take too long to render.
    Is it true?
    This landscapes shows how far Carrara went, even in a so specific field like terrains,
    a subject that many software deals, with no more to offer than that, like Vue.

There are many things to discover, many good things in just one package, with the most beautiful interface there is.

Thank you
    Nelson

edited December 1969

Now, just to clarify...

Figure it out.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Now, just to clarify...

Ha ha Joe, that is very funny... :)

But I like evil's response better.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Nelsao said:
    "nah, I am just trollin JM2000
    all Howie’s scenes are great and useful as a guide to create your own"

It seems that Howie Farks becomes a legend in the community these days.
    His landscapes are perfectly crafted and I've heard they take too long to render.
    Is it true?
    This landscapes shows how far Carrara went, even in a so specific field like terrains,
    a subject that many software deals, with no more to offer than that, like Vue.

There are many things to discover, many good things in just one package, with the most beautiful interface there is.

Thank you
    Nelson

Yes his scenes are beautiful and yes they take a while to render....

edited December 1969

Nelsao said:
    "Now, just to clarify…

Is that an example of plastic-looking terrains, or not-plastic-looking terrains ?"

Hey Joe (and Evilproducer),

I know Carrara can do good looking terrains. I can't do good terrains in Carrara, that's the truth.
    But, can we expect that Carrara gives us perfectly everything that existis in 3d software?
    For instance, the beatifull image you made, with this figure that I really apreciate, the good composition, the planes,
    the light: it's Carrara as I'm seeing now. Can't wait to create something like ithat (if I could).

But, it's not a terrain, exactly. The back planes are just visible.
    Even thou, ... look at the trees in the distance: this green is ...somewhat... plastic ...

But, is just a detail, and I can't absolutely do any better than that. Not even equal. And, it's just a question of taste.

Since I'm a painter too (just a hobby) I tend do dull the greens to avoid this look.

So, to not spent long times in the shader room, I just use the "environments", lots of them in my renders.
    As soon as I can install everything in Carrara 8.5 I will post two things: some modelings I made long ago in Carrara and a
    fake "landscape" with some low poly terrains covered with textures and planes with trees. Nothing as fancy but works with little
    rendering times.

Thank you for the informations,
    Nelson

Many factors go into creating anything in 3D. The terrain in the picture I posted is in the background, but then I find just landscapes a little dull. There have been some wonderful terrain images posted on the forums, but most of those were lost or made more difficult to view when DAZ transitioned the forums.

Going back to my example, the picture uses four terrains. One for the bottom of the pool (which isn't visible-I hadn't decided on my camera angle when building the set), one for the mound of sandy soil the palms and grass are growing out of, one for the brighter colored dunes and another for the rocky mesas. So, while they're not in your face, they are a significant part of the image and help set the scale and mood.

The palm trees are from the included Carrara Native content. If you think the colors look bright now, you should have seen the original shaders. I desaturated them quite a bit, and personally I like them.

As a painter, I'm sure you recognize how light can effect not just hue, but also saturation. A dull green for leaves may be good depending on the type of tree and the lighting the tree is viewed under. As in the real world, how a shader on a simulated leaf looks will depend on what type of leaf it is, and how it's lit. Additionally there are shader functions that look different depending on the lighting models used. As an example, Global Illumination (Indirect Lighting) will make shaders that use Subsurface Scattering or Translucency look better than if just the standard raytracing is used.

To avoid the plastic look, work on the shaders and lighting! The included content is a good starting point, but pick them apart to see how they work. Keep the things you like, and use the things you don't like as a jumping off point for your own ideas and experiments.

Good luck!

• edited December 1969

"The palm trees are from the included Carrara Native content. If you think the colors look bright now, you should have seen the original shaders. I desaturated them quite a bit, and personally I like them.

(...)

To avoid the plastic look, work on the shaders and lighting! The included content is a good starting point, but pick them apart to see how they work. Keep the things you like, and use the things you don’t like as a jumping off point for your own ideas and experiments.

Good luck!"

Evilproducer,

I repeat again that your image is almost perfect. Wish I could do the same.
    It will take some time until I can create a scene like that (I hope I will). Err... Carrara 8.5 will...

But, the palm (a minimum detail) is not up to the rest of the image. I recognize it from the objects that came with Carrara.

And, billieve me, many big studios and animators use lots of planes and curves with mapped
    images in their compositions, unless they need to animated some elements, like trees in the wind.
    Even though, the degree of geometry used vary: some polygons or terrains on the first plane (rocks, stairs, etc),
    curved planes in the second, planes or spheres in the back, real clouds, etc.

A pure 3D image is a bit heavy to render, even on my I7, full ram, etc.

As soon I can install Carrara 8.5 I will post some renders, waiting for all kind of critics that willl help get better.

Than You
    Nelson

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Nelsao, a word of advice...

I've learned over the years that rule #1 of this forum is "Never challenge, correct, or criticize anyone" if you want to get along with folks. People here take themselves VERY seriously when it comes to stuff, and they think you're being rude and hateful and all kinds of nasty stuff if you say anything even slightly negative.

Just tell people they're right, no matter what they say, and that their work is awesome, and you'll do fine.