Shimuzu M5 Sword poses, Cool!

SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Cool pose pack for M5/Genesis! Well made, the poses are strong and flow smoothly. Definitely for epic renders :)

Wondering what sword prop he uses in his promo? It's hard to find a good sword that looks realistic. And the textures on it are great! Does anyone know? Thanks.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/m5-poses-03-sword

Comments

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited November 2012

WOW!!!

Just wow...

I wonder if Kendall is cringing as much as I am...

I'm interested as well regarding the Katana.

Other than mine, I have only seen two other realistic Katana's out there. This one not being one of those, but it is not at all that bad. I would like to see some better close up pics for a stronger evaluation.

EDIT: I forgot to add... Look, it's ballet with a sword!

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

They do look really nice, love this vendors other V5 poses. I rarely use male figures, anyone tried them with V5 yet, figure they would work fine, but you never know.
    The vendor should have modeled a sword or had someone else do one for the pack, since one of the biggest time wasters is getting the sword in the hand properly, especially for this price.

I'm still trying to figure our what rifle is used in his V5 virago poses, LOL.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Parenting the prop to the palm is a good method to use before setting the pose. But the thing about poses is that they are made for the particular prop... no prop has the exact same dimensions and shape as the one the pose was specifically made for. Less of a problem with swords, a far grater issue with guns and bows.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited November 2012

Spyro said:
    Cool pose pack for M5/Genesis! Well made, the poses are strong and flow smoothly. Definitely for epic renders :)

Wondering what sword prop he uses in his promo? It's hard to find a good sword that looks realistic. And the textures on it are great! Does anyone know? Thanks.

Could be almost anything. Looks like there are at least 15 sets in the DAZ store that include katanas. At a guess, given that it's fairly unadorned, it could be the katana that comes with Journeyer Scout. Part of the Studio 4 default content, under Genesis/Props. Handle's not quite right. The blade isn't detailed enough for Merlin's katanas. Handle looks closest to the katana from Way of the Samurai, but you don't get a good look at the blade in the promo images for Way.

Also, there's a set of long sword poses for M5 in the store. I've wanted it, but it was too new for a price drop during FeralFey's PA sale, and I don't really do enough with swords to justify getting it. (Whereas, clearly, I do tons with demonic goats and scifi suits. Ahem. Anyway.)

Braxton with the Journeyer scout katana below. (There may actually be something called a "celtic katana". Which, as far as I can tell is either (1) actually Japanese, with no explanation I can find of why it would be called "celtic", or (2) entirely an invention of the Skyrim game. Hard to tell, really.) As I say, the handle's different, but the blade's close.

EDIT: Actually, looking at those images blown up a bit, I'm pretty sure that is the Journeyer Scout katana in Shimizu's poses. The handle isn't different; it's just a bit obscured.

braxton-ohia-balcony-katana-01.png
    1390 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

I think you're right Vwrangler. I do see what DareMok3 was saying about the swords realism. I'm not a fan of that particular hilt specifically it does seem to lack the geometry details. I do like the shader on the blade from how it looks in the promos. Cool render Vwrangler! Ohia looks impressed :-P

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I like this. I have put it on my wishlist. I also really like the face and skin of the model. I probably would parent another type of sword to his hand, but I like this a lot.

edited December 1969

Interesting... At first glance I thought he was M5 James... But he's not James at all. The eyes shape is really nice, and I too like the skin. Wonder who he is?

edited November 2012

Worked out that he's using M4 Elite Skin: Lee

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/m4-elite-texture-lee

Absolutely no Idea, what morphs he's using.... But I love his face.

Might be Brent in Axel International M5?

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Good face and hair and lights and good catch that is LEE.

I did buy Lee- but I returned him. Never could get him to look this nice. =-)

This is a good example of how to do a product promo.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

If you are looking for a good Japanese sword you might want to look at Merlin's Samurai Bundle. There's also this Case with weapons which has a sword which looks like the one in the poses.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Interesting... At first glance I thought he was M5 James... But he's not James at all. The eyes shape is really nice, and I too like the skin. Wonder who he is?

The guy with the sword is from Braxton M5... haven't seen him in a while ;).

edited December 1969

Is the guy with the 'white' background Brent from Axel International M5? The morph I mean? He's definitely got Elite Lee's texture. (It's kinda hard to tell from such small pic)

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited November 2012

Spyro said:
    Is the guy with the 'white' background Brent from Axel International M5? The morph I mean? He's definitely got Elite Lee's texture. (It's kinda hard to tell from such small pic)

No, I was talking about the vrangler one.

The ones from the promos are using Lee and either Flynn M4 or Caleb M4 (most likely Flynn).

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited November 2012

There is just not a smiley available to convey what I'm feeling.

EDIT: A bundle of this with Rawart's Severed Man seems appropriate somehow...

Kendall

DaremoK3 said:
    WOW!!!

Just wow...

I wonder if Kendall is cringing as much as I am...

I'm interested as well regarding the Katana.

Other than mine, I have only seen two other realistic Katana's out there. This one not being one of those, but it is not at all that bad. I would like to see some better close up pics for a stronger evaluation.

EDIT: I forgot to add... Look, it's ballet with a sword!

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

In all fairness....

Actual, useful, Katana Waza are not flashy nor exciting. Large, broad strokes or unbalanced foot posture will get you killed. Contrary to the movies, Katana duels last a matter of seconds from first strike until the death of one, or both, combatants. There is little time for theatrics once things get serious.

Kendall

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited November 2012

Spyro said:

No, I was talking about the vrangler one.

The ones from the promos are using Lee and either Flynn M4 or Caleb M4 (most likely Flynn).

Yeah, I've got Caleb -- he's the guy I used in the supersuit renders in the "Men" thread -- and even with the Lee Elite texture, and M5 shape dialed up to full (which I'm probably never doing to him again, because his face isn't defined in a way that works well with the shape), he doesn't look like the guy in the promos, so it probably is Flynn. Caleb/Lee texture with the sword is in the image below.

In all fairness....

Actual, useful, Katana Waza are not flashy nor exciting. Large, broad strokes or unbalanced foot posture will get you killed. Contrary to the movies, Katana duels last a matter of seconds from first strike until the death of one, or both, combatants. There is little time for theatrics once things get serious.

Kendall

Honestly, I was thinking of those more as "sword dance" poses as opposed to "fighting for your life against some other guy with a sword trying to kill you" poses. I mean, the main promo image, with a properly sharpened sword, strongly risks you cutting your own head off, I would think. But for some sorts of fantasy renders or things where realism isn't necessarily at a premium, they could look very nice. (If actual swordplay form and fighting looks even vaguely like Olympic fencing, your average sword fight apparently lasts about three seconds. At the outside. If both people are toying with their opponent.)

calebLeetex-03.png
    706 x 872 - 426K
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited November 2012

Hmmm I wonder if Caleb was made transferred to M5? he seems to have the good Gen5 bends, and has the appearance of M5 at a glance. I would have thought Shimuzu would have used the genesis model for Genesis/M5 poses product images. He definitely looks like caleb that's for sure. Particularly I really like the face and his eyes. I actually notcied he's the same character used for the other genesis pose products Shimuzu has got (Just a different skin).

Well spotted Vwrangler and Male-M3dia! :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

In all fairness....

Kendall

Honestly, I was thinking of those more as "sword dance" poses as opposed to "fighting for your life against some other guy with a sword trying to kill you" poses. I mean, the main promo image, with a properly sharpened sword, strongly risks you cutting your own head off, I would think. But for some sorts of fantasy renders or things where realism isn't necessarily at a premium, they could look very nice. (If actual swordplay form and fighting looks even vaguely like Olympic fencing, your average sword fight apparently lasts about three seconds. At the outside. If both people are toying with their opponent.)

As I said, actual poses from the Arts would not be "flashy nor exciting" hence they probably wouldn't sell well. With that being said, several of these poses look like they could be from Forms with a Dao or Jian. One of my peers is an accomplished Chinese Swordsman and many of those Forms (Kata) contain extended stances. I can tell you, many of those moves I'd NEVER try with my blades, even my Iaito is sharp enough to be a deadly weapon.

With a Katana, several of those poses are dangerous to the wielder.

Kendall

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

These are fantastic, natrurla-looking poses! But will they work for Genesis 2? Or, when will a Gen 2 pack be available?

SpyroRue said:

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    cobusp said:

These are fantastic, natrurla-looking poses! But will they work for Genesis 2? Or, when will a Gen 2 pack be available?

SpyroRue said:

Just tried them, they work great on GM2

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

vwrangler said:

Kendall Sears said:

In all fairness....

Kendall

As I said, actual poses from the Arts would not be "flashy nor exciting" hence they probably wouldn't sell well. With that being said, several of these poses look like they could be from Forms with a Dao or Jian. One of my peers is an accomplished Chinese Swordsman and many of those Forms (Kata) contain extended stances. I can tell you, many of those moves I'd NEVER try with my blades, even my Iaito is sharp enough to be a deadly weapon.

With a Katana, several of those poses are dangerous to the wielder.

Kendall

Agreed.  My only complaint with the poses are the feet.  Iaido/Kenjutsu teaches to keep those feet flat on the floor.....maintain proper balance and glide.  AJIF kata are VERY functional.....and short....

SpyroRue said:

The product page for these poses does not seem to exist anymore! I wanted to check it out because although the folder for Shimuzu poses is in Carrara's Samert Content, it does not show any pose thumbnails. Does anyone know of a workaround?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,637

from this link - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15338/start, and jump to https://www.daz3d.com/m5-poses-03-sword. The poses are for G1/M5, you need to convert them to G2+ or use products like Bone Minion to use them on other gens of Genesis figures.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

cobusp said:

The product page for these poses does not seem to exist anymore! I wanted to check it out because although the folder for Shimuzu poses is in Carrara's Samert Content, it does not show any pose thumbnails. Does anyone know of a workaround?

The poses come in .dsa format, and Carrara can't see them.  The workaround is a pain, but I do it all the time, and I even did it for this set, which is to load up studio, apply the pose to Genesis, then save it again as a .duf pose.  Carrara sees .duf format, and it will work fine at that point.