morph loader deflate mesh

trucidetrucide Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello !

When using the morph loader to apply a obj mesh onto a genesis figure, the morphed figure is slightly tighten than the obj mesh : it's very easy to verify. Load the obj mesh above the morphed figure : the deflation is very obvious on the teeth or even the fingers. It became very obvious when you load several morph onto the same figure.
I've tried a lot of options of the morph loader and it seems there's no way to avoid this "entightment" of the loaded mesh.

So, I now try to figure out how to inflate the morphed figure slightly (about 1mm perhaps) to compensate this. But so far, I'm ressourceless.
Is anyone has any idea on any tricks to solve this problem ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

It sounds as if your morph was made on a pre morphed mesh - so you get a cumulative effect. This is what the Reverse Deformations option in Morph Loader pro is for, with the figure in the state it was in when you exported. You do need to make sure any scaling is zeroed before exporting, however.

• trucidetrucide Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It sounds as if your morph was made on a pre morphed mesh - so you get a cumulative effect. This is what the Reverse Deformations option in Morph Loader pro is for, with the figure in the state it was in when you exported. You do need to make sure any scaling is zeroed before exporting, however.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've tried the reverse deformation option (in fact i use it pretty much for any morph loading as i'd rather ahve a relative morph). I see what you mean and it's not what i had in mind : the problem is not really obvious if you don't superimpose your morphed mesh with the target mesh. the morphed morph is slightly tighten (about 1mm perhaps) : not an issue, but it is really visible (for me) in certains areas, for example the teeth or fingers. And it can be a serious issue if you load several morph on the same figure as it is cumulative.

You can test the problem easily : export a figure as an obj, load this obj onto the figure as a morph, load the obj on the scene and superimpose them. hide/show the obj as you're watching thin areas like the teeth and the problem should be obvious.

edited December 1969

What presets did you use for the export/import? Was the figure zeroed?

edited December 1969

What presets did you use for the export/import? Was the figure zeroed?

I'm using Daz Studio presset for the export. The figure is zeroed.

You can just try it and see what I mean.
    Or just apply a morph from a zeroed genesis target on a zeroed genesis : normally it would do nothing, but if you apply/reset the morph watching a zoomed area (the face from the front view : look for the problem on the ears area), you'll see distinctly that the morphed figure is slightly tighten...

edited December 1969

I'm not seeing this, in 4.5. The teeth are a bit too dense to see, but I'm really zoomed in on the arm of a non-SubD Genesis and a Genesis OBJ here and see no divergence.

FigPlusObj.jpg
    644 x 533 - 39K
    edited December 1969

I'm not seeing this, in 4.5. The teeth are a bit too dense to see, but I'm really zoomed in on the arm of a non-SubD Genesis and a Genesis OBJ here and see no divergence.

Thanks. I don't know which version I'm currently using. Perhaps it isn't the 4.5, in which case the problem has been solved since : geat news ! I'll verify as soon as I'll be at home.

By the way, it isn't clear in your response, the non-SubD Genesis has been "morphed" with the genesis OBJ as a target using the morph loader, isn't it ?

edited December 1969

Sorry for the delayed reply, I think yur post came in when the forum was being awkward for me. No, that was just an imported mesh lined up with Genesis which i thought you were reporting as showing the effect. However, I have now checked with the same mesh tweaked and loaded as a morph and the result is as in my previous post - no unwanted shifting. If you are seeing the effect only with morphed meshes - how are you morphing? Sub-dividing in ZBrush is known to affect the mesh, even if you set it back to the zero state before exporting - the fix is to turn Smth off before dividing the mesh in ZBrush. It's possible other modelling tools have similar issues.

edited December 1969

Thanks for caring !

I'm using Mudbox, but it isn't the issue as I compare the exported mesh from Mudbox to the morphed genesis from this very same target and see the difference.

Even if I just export the genesis figure in obj and use this obj as a morph target I see this "entigthen" of the morphed figure compared to the obj used as target. It's very subtle and you must zoom to see it.

I'm not using the last version of DS4 (ie the 4.5), but after reading the version log, I haven't seen this bug mentioned anywhere. I will test this as soon as I'll have the last version installed.

Could anyone with an old vesrion of DS4 test this really simple manipulation and see if there's a problem ; I'd like to see if it affects only my install of DS ?
    - save the genesis figure in obj.
    - load the saved object as a morph target with the morph loader. apply the new morph : it'll do nothing obvious.
    - import the saved object : it is surimposed to the genesis figure.
    - zoom onto the figure.
    - display on/off the obj : you should see the tiny difference between the morphed figure and the object from which the figure is morphed although it should be exactly the same.

Thanks !

edited December 1969

By the steps you describe above the obj is not subdivided while genesis is, that will make the Genesis figure lie somewhat inside the OBJ mesh.

edited December 1969

By the steps you describe above the obj is not subdivided while genesis is, that will make the Genesis figure lie somewhat inside the OBJ mesh.

Ok, that's interesting... I haven't thought of that.

To be clear : my figure is at the zero level of subdivision when I apply the morph.
    I'll check to see if it changes when I load a morph onto it.

I'll also install the new version soon and see if it changes anything.

Thank you very much, I'll keep you in touch.