Draw errors in viewport

Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699

My video drivers crashed last night and ever since I've been getting these draw errors in DAZ (and also in Blender, so it's not a DAZ problem) in the viewport. The meshes are actually fine and render normally so it's only a display problem (I say only!). I reinstalled video drivers, etc. (it's an Nvidia Quadro 400 card). I've opened a support ticket with my system supplier as I'm suspecting it's a hardware issue, but I just thought I would ask here too, in case anyone had ever seen this before.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I've seen that once before on a Quadro card...and yeah, it was hardware.

The original crash, in that case, and the subsequent errors were caused by bad VRAM. Yeah, I knew the card was prone to overheating but I didn't do anything about it...hey I got it for $10, with a bunch of other stuff off of Ebay...so I used it until I fried it (it was an older one...AGP, still)

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    I've seen that once before on a Quadro card...and yeah, it was hardware.

The original crash, in that case, and the subsequent errors were caused by bad VRAM. Yeah, I knew the card was prone to overheating but I didn't do anything about it...hey I got it for $10, with a bunch of other stuff off of Ebay...so I used it until I fried it (it was an older one...AGP, still)

Thanks a lot for that info—glad it's not just me. I was pretty sure it was hardware so I'll wait and see what the vendor says in the week. They specialize in graphics workstations and put in the cooling so I should hope they made it adequate. Still under warranty fortunately. I have a spare workstation card at work so I may try swapping it out—not as good as mine but should be adequate (mine isn't spectacular anyway). Hopefully I can return my card on its own.
    Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
    edited December 1969

Most places will substitute parts with no problem, especially if they are in the business of making custom builds.

I ran that old Quadro into the ground...basically, it was card specific for the over heating, not a system wide problem.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited November 2012

I suspect this is driver incompatibility with DAZ Studio Genesis and Quadro cards. I have a Quadro FX 1700 and I'm having the same exact problem, this is a 5+ year old card but I don't think the hardware is faulty, again it could be both our cards went bad at the same time but not likely.

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=20&aid=33047_NcvB14kAEHlZosY0nQgp&board_id=1

Post edited by SimonWM on
    edited December 1969

Try a couple versions back for the drivers...Nvidia is pretty good about archiving them.

What happened to my card started out just like that...then finally the memory chip died completely and it went to the classic 'total scramble'.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited November 2012

EDIT: Immediately after posting the below I ran a copy of Studio 4.5 which is installed on a work computer. And guess what? Yes, it's the same (and Blender). This is an HP workstation, and completely different to my own, but it does have a Quadro. I noticed it was updated last week, so it's looking like my vendor is right and it's the drivers. I'll be trying some options shortly and will post the results, as it looks like others will be having this issue, unless it's caused by my own personal aura!

UPDATE: Yep, I rolled back the driver and it's fine. So if you are suddenly having this issue roll back the driver and wait until a new driver comes out in the hope that will they have fixed the issue. As I said my Quadro 600 has a new release today and I'll try this on Friday and see if they fixed the issue of the previous driver (Nov 2nd) which was giving me grief.

(Now I have to apologize to my vendor for my scepticism!)

Edit: Release 304 (307.45) on the NVIDIA site today fixed the problem. Simon, there is and update 307.45 for the FX 1700, so I would try that for your card.

Thanks for the new comments. The vendor is suggesting it's the drivers. I'm sceptical (as I said to them, unless there was something very wrong with the previous update), but a new driver for my card was released by Nvidia today (my card is a Quadro 600, not a 400—I don't know what I was thinking) so I will try that on Friday. I've found the card from work; it's a Quadro FX 380. Should be adequate for temporary use, assuming swapping out the card solves the issue. I'll be stumped if it doesn't.

By the way, the errors are just as bad in Blender, if not worse, so I'm discounting DAZ Studio being behind this problem.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on