Browser lock up

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I read several forums in the AM. Part of my morning routine, set down with my coffee and cig and open the forums to read. I usually just go through and open tab hit book mark, open tab hit book mark, the forums load and I go to the first one and start reading. But not this site, I click the book mark for here and it completely locks up my browser till the site loads, no other site does this.

I don't know what is up at DAZ but this has been going on for 6 plus months now, just one bad update after another. Seems every time DAZ updates something it gets worse and doesn't get fixed. That is one of the reasons I have quit doing business with DAZ; till DAZ actually fixes something, anything, take your pic.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

I don't experience anything like this. I almost always have several tabs open, maybe 3 or 4 different sites, and can load the forums on a new tabe quite easily and with no problems or jamming up.

In fact during the recent Jubilee celbrations ove here Iwas actually watching the River Pageant live in one tab, reading my email in another and then jumping over to the forums in another one or two, and it worked very well for the entire 4 hours of the broadcast.

Oh and I forgot, I was also using Skype chat in between as well

And no I don't have some superdooper, state of the art PC, but a very underpowered 6 year old one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I haven't experienced this, either, and I'm prone to having a slew of tabs open of purely Daz links. I'm using Firefox.

edited December 1969

Yeah, at the moment I have 7 tabs up, 3 Daz forum tabs, yahoo mail, Gmail, a google groups one, and the BBC website

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm running Firefox 11, and every time I hit the book mark for this site it locks my browser up till the site loads. You may not be having the issue, good for you, I am and it's hacking me off.

edited December 1969

Do you have any FF addons running? If so, disable them and see if any of them are causing it.

edited December 1969

The only time FireFox hange for me is when I first open it after booting up the PC , and that is a general hang, it won't let me access my bookmarks for a few seconds or so.

• westonmiwestonmi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yeah, at the moment I have 7 tabs up, 3 Daz forum tabs, yahoo mail, Gmail, a google groups one, and the BBC website

Only 7? O.o

I have 2 windows open in Opera and each have about 18 tabs up. Only problems I have is with sites that lots of images to load. These forums load in a blink of an eye and the store may take 2 blinks. ;)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I'm running Firefox 11, and every time I hit the book mark for this site it locks my browser up till the site loads. You may not be having the issue, good for you, I am and it's hacking me off.

I had this problem on all sites with a particular version of Firefox, don't remember if it was 10 or 11, but I've had no problems with 12 or 13.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Update your FF. I haven't had any problems in 12

edited December 1969

Yeah I am using 12 as well

edited December 1969

I hate updating firefox. Every time I update I lose more addons. I used to run 9, now I have 3 that still work. Usually about the time they update the addon to work, another version of FF comes out.
    None the less, this is the only site I have the issue with.

edited December 1969

My FF just updated to 13.

Sometimes if addons no longer work in a version of FF, someone will either make a replacement, or the author has completely redone it and it's in a whole new addon.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I hate updating firefox. Every time I update I lose more addons. I used to run 9, now I have 3 that still work. Usually about the time they update the addon to work, another version of FF comes out.

Did you have problems on the old site? That was when I had this problem with an earlier version of Firefox. And it wasn't just DAZ, but that's where I saw it most because that's where I was downloading from the most.

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Stanley,

the addon-problem started when Mozilla decided to release every two month a new major version, regardless if there was a major change or not, just to keep up with Chrome-versions. The most addons still work but their build-in version-check tells you that they won't work. For the most addons it shouldn't be a problem by now, because their developers set the mayor version check to something like Firefoy v. 67 :)

I'm using only one addon, but I know you can make older addons (usually) get to work by changing the major version check in some xml or manifest-files. I didn't have to do this and can't give instructions, but Google helps.

Your Firefox 11 is a problem, and Firefox 12 has even more security issues (far more than DAZ actually), so you should update. Now.

edited December 1969

Well I updated firefox and it made no difference, clicking the book mark for this site still locks up my browser till the site loads.
    Found out downloading content is just as much fun. Was checking and downloaded some updated content, I had 2 downloads going from another site; freebies, when I started the download from here. This download killed them, stopped them in their tracks and errored out the downloads. Went back to start them again and they just kept erroring out till my download from here was done. Once the download from here was done the other downloads downloaded with no problems. And items download from here strangely. I mean items I download from here download quite differently then any other site.

edited June 2012

That's odd. I can have multiple things downloading at once and it would make no difference other than my download speed being split among multiple items. You don't by chance have a download manager installed do you?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

That is only true if you have a really good, machine and a decent ISP, with good broadband connection and speeds.

I for one would never attempt to download from 2 different sites at the same time. I rarely even download more than one item at a time. I know the limitations of my machine and my broadband connection.

edited December 1969

It's not a band width issue. On my forays in to the freebies I've had 6-8 items downloading from 3 different sites with no issues, it's only when I am downloading from here I have this issue. When I download from else where I have a download window that keeps me informed, not from here though. When I download from here I don't get a separate download window I get this weird green bar that keeps passing through my browser icon, but no indication something is downloading, not even a piece file in my download folder. Like I said things download from here quite bizarrely compared to any other site. It's like there is some built in download manager from here. It's getting me quite paranoid. As in nothing I download from anywhere, downloads the way items do from here.

There is a lot I would like to say but certainly can't be said here. Lets just say if I weren't familiar with DAZ and hadn't been doing business here for years, I'd have left on day 1 and not come back. Just too much hinky stuff going on for me to be comfortable with it.

edited December 1969

Well OK Stan. colour me puzzled you have managed to find something that no one else has any issue with. At this point I think I will just give up.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

Your better off.

edited December 1969

That's very strange, Stan -- I just tested it now to make sure, and files from here download the same way as files from everywhere else using FF -- FF asks where I want to save it (because I have it set to always ask), I select the destination, then the Downloads window opens up and shows the count of KB received, then when it's complete the Downloads window shows it. It doesn't get the file size like it did on the old site, so there's no progress bar, but otherwise it behaves perfectly normally,

edited June 2012

Why do I even bother?

Sorry Mike, I seem to consistently have issues no one else does.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited June 2012

Have you ever tried running HiJackThis to see if there's anything unusual on your system? Or checked your Hosts file for a redirect?

ETA: Do you have similar issues using other browsers with DAZ downloads?

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

I run security scans about once a week, never find anything. I run firefox for most everything, emaiil is explorer and beta testing ACR was chrome. {ACR was aspiring to be the best racing MMO online, then it was released to open beta with the economy set up, Free to play my lily white.... I quit it, the game has no goals} Playing the L out of LOTRO right now. Not shopping at DAZ so I had a bit of $ to spend on it.

Upgrading firefox fixed the downloads killing other downloads, but the DAZ downloads are still bandwidth greedy. Clicking the daz forum book mark still locks up my browser for the 3-4 seconds it takes to load the forum.