Content Management Service turns off when DAZ Starts

PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I've scoured the 'Commons' and can't find a solution to this this problem. I've left the Task Manager open on a separate screen to monitor problems.

DAZ Content Management service IS running.

however upon starting DAZ 4.5 it stops.

I go back into Task Manager, and have to go under the Service tab (bottom right corner) to restart...

I then shut down DAZ and restart...again the Service stops.
Tried shutting down DAZ, then restart the Service then restarting DAZ...nothing.

I'd deleted DAZ and CMS, ran CCleaner four times to kill all links in the registry.
Gone into the Program data folder, deleted all database files and the directory for DAZ.
Re-ran CCleaner just to make sure (nothing new)
Rebooted.

Reloaded DAZ...new folder.
Rebooted.
started task manager to monitor things.
watch CMS start...then stop just as DAZ gets up to speed.

The problem all started three days ago with the latest microsoft updates...I did a roll back prior to...nothing.
reloaded the updates and tried the procedure I mentioned above...again nothing.

Computer is an ASUS g74sx
Kaspersky AV (have had it for 6months and never had an issue with CMS prior too)

What am I missing? Suggestions?

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on

Comments

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Did you see any error message in the log file of the CMS (...\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\vlogs)?
    What happens if you start CMS while DS is running?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,674
    edited December 1969

The database isn't stored in Program Files by default - where is yours, and did you try moving the files elsewhere to see if that helped?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2012

You might want to go check in Nuts-N-Bolts cause there were similiar problems brought up over there ......I'll see if I can find the thread and get you a link.

Here's one http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

says it loaded without error....nothing about stopping.

and starting while daz is running, provides nothing.

still trying to find a solution but thanks for the interest.

- paul.

edited December 1969

The database isn't stored in Program Files by default - where is yours, and did you try moving the files elsewhere to see if that helped?

Didn't say Program Files....Program Data folder.

Is there another location of the database besides that location? I'll try deleting that too.

-Paul

• Bruno AcciolyBruno Accioly Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Hi there, Paul,

Did you find a solution to this.
    It is driving me crazy and my deadlines are buried for sometime now.

You described my problem exactly. The only difference is that there was no Windows Update on my part.

I read in another thread it could be related to the "port used by Content Manager and shared by another application".

Thanks

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

With the CMS stopped.
    Find the ContentManagementServer.ini

Change the line

VerboseLevel=0
    to
    VerboseLevel=3

Start the CMS.
    Start DS.
    Wait for the CMS to crash.
    Close DS.
    Go to the "vlogs" folder under your CMS install folder. Look at the latest log and see if you can find the reason it's crashing.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited February 2013

are you using the latest latest version of daz? REason I'm asking, is I had this problem and was still on a slightly older version. Upgrading solved that issue.

I thought when I reset my download for daz that it would give me the latest version, but not so. Added the new version to my cart, checked out and there I had it.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Ok...
    After many hours of blood, sweat and tears - and after reading the thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

What I did was:
    0) Deleted all my content but Genesis Essentials;
    1) Open Windows Explorer;
    2) Made the Program Data folder visible (it is hidden by default);
    3) Entered Program Data/DAZ 3D/Content Manager
    4) Tried to delete the database folder (couldn't do it because the service was up and running);
    5) Killed the DAZ Content Manager service;
    6) Deleted the database folder (if there is more than one kill them both);
    7) Started the DAZ Content Manager service;
    8) Installed all my content again with DAZ Install Manager;
    9) Humbly looked up to Heaven and asked for mercy (this is important);
    10) Started DAZ Studio;

Yes... it worked...
    Maybe it did because the 9th step (do it even in case of atheism).

Have fun!

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Do you actively categorize stuff yourself? If not, best thing to do is just wipe the database files and restart. I find they get corrupted at least once a quarter on my machine. But since I don't use/rely on the CMS (I still just use the Content Library), I don't mind blasting the database and reloading it.

edited December 1969

Hi there,

I don't categorize. But I use Smart Content tab a lot.
    As my Content Library tab was lacking any information on products also you can imagine my dispair.
    I am using DAZ Studio for two months so I don't really know much about inner workings of the product.
    This steps I described seemed like a great discovery to me =)

It is a great product if you invest a bit on content.

Now I need to know more about how to edit meshes outside DAZ, if it is possible and what tools to use to achieve this.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Okay, it's been a few months the problem has returned.

I did exactly as richard suggested.

WHAT THE HECK AM I LOOKING AT?

I've read the 698Kb file. I don't see a thing that would show why it shuts down. Nothing on the word search for 'error, shutdown, close' also appears.

For the record, I don't need to even start DAZ Studio to shut the CMS down. it does that in seconds. weather via a fresh start or the computer has been running for a while. I receive a flash ms-dos screen pop up and then it closes. I've tried to run cms through a ms-dos window and don't receive an error or indication of it's status.

I can't delete CMS since the registry has it locked down. suggestions. it would be nice if there was a stand alone for the CMS install to over write this product in cases like this. D|S is up todate...have to if I'm going to use that render plug-in DAZ no longer carries.

(I have two computers I use and the other system hasn't crashed CMS in over a year. http://pdsmith.deviantart.com/art/Geek-Alert-339583890 its the tower that's crashing CMS...not the laptop. )

Antivirus since so many people claim this is the source of all problems- when the problem started back a few months ago I had Norton Antivirus. this time I'm running Kaspersky One. Neither in their logs indicated they were shutting CMS down due to violations and such, heck I've gone so far as to disable my anti-virus to to see if that was the case...nope.

I'm open to suggestions.

The reason it disappeared the last time is I installed CMS in a new directory, it worked for a few months and has stopped again, the last thing I loaded was 'Reflect me'. I finally had a use for it.

Suggestions?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In the folder where the CMS program is installed look for a ContentManagementServer.ini file...open it in a text editor.

Under the General section, there is a heading labelled Port.

There are two ports listed, one should be commented out...uncomment it and comment the other one. Save and try running the CMS (if UAC interfers with that, you may need to edit the file as an Admin). The CMS will not run if there is a port conflict or if something is locking/blocking the port it is trying to listen on...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    In the folder where the CMS program is installed look for a ContentManagementServer.ini file...open it in a text editor.

Under the General section, there is a heading labelled Port.

There are two ports listed, one should be commented out...uncomment it and comment the other one. Save and try running the CMS (if UAC interfers with that, you may need to edit the file as an Admin). The CMS will not run if there is a port conflict or if something is locking/blocking the port it is trying to listen on...

i only had one port listed, but according to the directions above the line item, it was accessing a port not listed. 29779 I'm trying 0 to not listen and see what happens.

Thanks for the feed back.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

My experience has been that when CMS goes to crash city, it's because its database files are corrupt. With it not running, delete the database files (they're under ProgramData/DAZ... on Windows, not sure where on Mac if that's what you use). Once you delete that, the CMS should start and not crash. You can then load up Studio, go to the Content Library tab and from the corner menu select database maintenance. Then select reload metadata and let it crank away for a while...

Because the database constantly gets hosed, I don't do any customizations at all, and just organize things at the file system level and use the content library because I know I'm gonna have to blow the CMS away and reload it every other month or so.

• ostrykomiksostrykomiks Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

In Windows 7 64bit I have always problems with CMS.
    Few examples on fresh system and Daz installations:
    CMS is run, but not work in Daz.
    I can't run CMS - system error 1053
    Just can't run CMS (without system errors).
    It's annoying...
    Now I work without CMS, and I waiting when DAZ3D will be stabile application and compatybile with Windows 7 64bit...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Have you tried using the PostgreSQL CMS? I find it's a lot more stable than the Valentina version.

edited December 1969

PostgreSQL CMS? Yes. I tried.
    Reinstalling CMS, reinstalling DAZ3D, DIM and even system.
    On fresh system CMS work in three ways.
    Sometimes do not work from beginning.
    Sometimes (almost always) CMS work till next run system - then stop work.
    2-3 times in 10-15 fresh system installation it work without problems.
    But not last three times.

Sometimes some tricks can help, but not this time.
    Anytime when I reinstalling system I thinking "DAZ3D will work this time with CMS, or not?".

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Studio is stable, it is CMS that is an unstable POS, you don't need CMS to be able to run Studio. But if you are dead set on trying to get CMS to work the first thing to do is uninstall it and delete its folders from ProgramData. Re-install but this time do not install it to the Program Files folder and do not allow the database in ProgramData. Ever since MicroSoft went all 'big brother' with their UAC I have avoided installing anything in the Program Files folders and the ProgramData folder when ever possible.

edited December 1969

Thanks for respond. I tried it, and all tricks which one I found in Web. Nothing.

Now I have new, fresh system (again) and... Now CMS work. But for how long? I don't know.
    I always installing everything in this same way step by step (from new system to Daz3D), and sometimes CMS work, sometimes not (or stop work after few hours for good).
    I don't have any idea how that possible.