DSON, Genesis content, and Poser

2»

Comments

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

The header part of the Genesis.cr2:

I'm now trying out of my Poser Pro 2012 default directory.

{

version
     {
     number 9
     }
    clearFigureKeys 1
    figureResFile ":Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base:Genesis:geometry{348f6408-a456-b20e-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj"
    morphBinaryFile ":Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base{f53b286c-581a-b0a5-56fc-90086d1b2769}.pmd"
    actor BODY:1
     {

}

geometry{348f6408-a456-b20e-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj exists in:

\Runtime\DSON\auto_adapted\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Genesis

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

The header part of the Genesis.cr2:

I'm now trying out of my Poser Pro 2012 default directory.

{

version
     {
     number 9
     }
    clearFigureKeys 1
    figureResFile ":Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base:Genesis:geometry{348f6408-a456-b20e-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj"
    morphBinaryFile ":Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base{f53b286c-581a-b0a5-56fc-90086d1b2769}.pmd"
    actor BODY:1
     {

}

geometry{348f6408-a456-b20e-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj exists in:

\Runtime\DSON\auto_adapted\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Genesis

That is exactly the same as I see in my genesis cr2 file

• NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Well something must be crossing wires somewhere because EVERYTHING else loads.

The Sub-Dragon
    The Hairs
    The Clothing

And that's all duf stuff, right? BTW, is it just me or every time you read "duf" you want to say "D'oh!" :P

edited December 1969

Well something must be crossing wires somewhere because EVERYTHING else loads.

The Sub-Dragon
    The Hairs
    The Clothing

And that's all duf stuff, right? BTW, is it just me or every time you read "duf" you want to say "D'oh!" :P

Yes, that's all duf stuff. Very strange that genesis is the only one which doesn't load

But DS is pretty random on where it places its dynamic assets, so it could be that a particular branch is not included in the search
    But it could also be that there is somewhere a hardcoded path which is causing it.

I have pretty much the same setup except that I installed Poser in its default location (both program and default runtime). I created a separate posergenesis runtime for the genesis stuff.

I did encounter similar problems in the beginning when I convereted clothing to duf in DS4.5, but that was because I had installed it in the DS4 folders. I now explicitly install everything in the posergenesis runtime

• red10_3d4cbcdd19red10_3d4cbcdd19 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've been away from poser for a few years & just getting back into it. I just purchased Poser Pro 2012 and the latest 3.1 update.

This Dson things sounds complicated. I really like to get this genesis product, especially the M5 & V5 packages. Especially now, since they are on sale. I just do not want to spend hundreds of dollars to find out that Dson and the characters themselves are difficult to install.
    I've also seen the term slow in a lot of stuff I have read. How slow do the genesis characters run in Poser? I've read a lot on hit & miss, sometimes they work & other times not so much.

I wish Daz would have posted something describing which content installers to install with or without DSON. I also wish they would have posted something as to where you install the DSON program in Poser & a runtime folder for the genesis content.

I like the M4/V4 stuff, but would have liked to have gotten the latest M5/V5 stuff. Just to many unanswered questions.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,204
    edited December 1969

It shouldn't be complex, as long as the items you wish to use already have companion files:

Install the plugin
    Install Genesis Starter Essentials and its companion files to the Poser 2012 Content folder in the folder you chose for your content (as long as it wasn't the application folder, for Windows 7 and 8 and Vista).
    Install the Core and Companion Files for the product you wish to use to the content folder you chose for Poser.
    Load content through the library.

Obviously things can go wrong, but ti works for most people.

edited December 1969

Regarding the slowness:
    There is a little bit of overhead in loading genesis or genesis items. How much depends on your system. For me the delay is 3-5 seconds on one system and 1-2 seconds on another (this one stores the temp files on an SSD). Compare this to the 10-15 seconds for loading V4 (from a freshly started Poser)
    This is not bad at all. But if you load more than one genesis figure with multiple clothing items and hair, things do get very slow in loading. There seems to be a bug in which the importer redoes all the morph transfer for each item every time you add a new one. So when you load 6 genesis items with 2 pieces of clothing and hair, the last item will take more than 10 minutes to load. But I think this bug is being addressed. If that bug is gone, the overhead will (probably) acceptable to me

Posing the figure does not seem to be slower as with other figures

edited December 1969

Install the plugin
    Install Genesis Starter Essentials and its companion files to the Poser 2012 Content folder in the folder you chose for your content (as long as it wasn’t the application folder, for Windows 7 and 8 and Vista).
    Install the Core and Companion Files for the product you wish to use to the content folder you chose for Poser.
    Load content through the library.[/quote Thank you all for your help. Where exactly do I install the plugin? Do I have to install Genesis Starter Essentials & its companion files to poser itself or can I install them in a seperate runtime on another drive and just point it to poser? I only ask because my main drive is a ssd drive. Then install any content & the companion files to the same runtime on the other drive. To save space & wear & tear on the ssd drive. Thank you RIck
    edited December 1969

Sorry for getting the above quote reversed. No idea how I did that. :) The comment is actually the quote in this case.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,204
    edited December 1969

The plugin should go to the right place automatically, the content can go to any content folder (and should not go to the application folder if you are using Windows 7 or 8, or Vista).

edited December 1969

Thank you so much Richard! I really appreciate your help. It's been so long since I've used poser. So I can put the content in a runtime on another drive. Thats great. I do not want to fill up my ssd drive, which is my main drive. It is only 256 Gigs. My other 4 internal drives are 1 terr. each. I want to avoid filling up my ssd & I am trying to keep the writes down on it.

Thank you again

Rick

• TLTJadeTLTJade Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Morph packs like those, the Iconic shapes, and the Ethnicity morphs don't have presets -- the dials are there when you load Genesis. Therefore they don't need Poser Companion Files. They work in Poser as is, no update needed.

This should be in an FAQ somewhere, lol. I just spent 30 minutes or more searching before I finally stumbled across it.