Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: That is an interesting render. I looked at the position of the red light on the cube, and on the sphere and wondered if the sphere would indeed be able to reflect red light.. Or is there another source of red light not showing? When I have the mindset, I'll have to look closer to this Obscure Light and Glow. I've watched David's videos, but not studied them closely.

Thank you GussNemo. The sphere is a mirror ball and it does reflect the light. The white and brownish parts are from the HDRI used.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what the problem with the egg is, though I guess it doesn't look 'soft' enough.
    With this in mind, I've added a runnier yolk using some metaballs, also taken some of the reflection and specularity off the egg white.
    Then I changed the egg cup material and added some soldiers to dip in. :cheese:

I guess it's not easy. The yolk looks very good. I don't know what's wrong with the white, there is usually not much specularity, It just looks more like ceramic.

edited November 2012

@mermaid010 - the shape looks very interesting. Go for 256 rpp (still a bit of noise) and it will finish in 2 hours. Perhaps use a bit of reflection on the shape - 10% or so.

Post edited by Horo on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

@David B

wow I love learning something new, that Obscure glow tutorial was an eye opener for sure

obscureglow.jpg
    875 x 875 - 384K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can see the light.

IcanSeeTheLight1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 348K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone who commented on my work.

GussNemo I'll give it a try and rotate the object, thanks for the suggestion.

Horo I’m not happy with the overall view that is why I did not render it at 256 Rpp. I used the default material with 15% reflection.

I like this image a bit more, but I’m not happy about the background –the very noisy darker blue bit. I used your RockandTrees Hdri, default material again with 15% reflection and 64 Rpp for the render. I suppose I can crop the image in Photoshop. I really need to play more with the camera controls.

obsure2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 60K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Haha, love it. The yoke looks great. Yet, I wonder which flavor you applied to those solders.

@Rareth: That is a really nice image. Just enough light from the spheres to show the darker spheres. Really nice.

@Roland: Adding the child and dog is a real nice touch. It give the opening more perspective. I really like it.

@mermaid: When I first saw the image I got the feeling the cubes were in some kind of container due to the background. And the apparent curvature where the plane meets the background. I think the noise give that image an additional look. It's really nice.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo

Thanks. The Dog is real, but he sleep in my bed (it´s our Pascha) not in a cave and costs a lot of money.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - good idea to add a bit of life to a scene. It looks more interesting and tells a story.

@mermaid010 - looks nice. If you want to cover the noise, you may always add a bit of bump then we don't know what is bump and what is noise. I like it the way it turned out.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rareth, glad to see the tutorials are followable... simple scene, but good results.

Roland4, nice work with the cave entrance and the streaming light, it's a tricky subject for Bryce's render to get good light distribution.

Mermaid010, your render is good, except for the issue with the noise. Now depending why this noise came about there are several ways to get rid of this. If you want me to look into it, just send me the bare scene setup without the HDRI and a screen shot of your IBL tab for the scene with the HDRI. I should be able to reproduce the conditions from that.

Let my computer labour over some lighting tests.

Here are the links to the obscure lighting video's for anyone else who wants to have a go at this. You don't need to watch the first one to make it work. That is just there to explain how it works. The rest are rather more practical and to the point.

Bryce 30 minute lighting project - obscure lighting experiment - a video by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute lighting project - how to set up "obscure" lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 10 minute lighting project - converting a scene to obscure lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 10 minute scene project - lighting Eireann.sg's Wings 3D cube - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - obscure glows - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 15 minute scene project - how to set up multiple glowing objects - by David Brinnen

Speuclarity_will_light1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 161K
    Material_test_for_Heating_room3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 257K
    Material_test_for_Heating_room2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 208K
    HB_cu_setup4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 195K
    bailed3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 284K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo and Horo, I appreciate the comments.

Mermaid010, your render is good, except for the issue with the noise. Now depending why this noise came about there are several ways to get rid of this. If you want me to look into it, just send me the bare scene setup without the HDRI and a screen shot of your IBL tab for the scene with the HDRI. I should be able to reproduce the conditions from that.

I would love for you to have a look, how do I email the file to you.

edited December 1969

@David

I now, there is a other/better/more realistic way to make Light/God Rays, for example volumetric light, but there is very slow, although I am now able to by a new PC (Core I5 2500 K - 8GB Memory - GTX 550 TI 3 GB). And so i make it so just as you have explained in your tutorial "Streaming light or God rays effect".

edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo and Horo, I appreciate the comments.

I would love for you to have a look, how do I email the file to you.

[email protected]

Roland4, the light rays look very good already. Still, it is nice to have a new PC!

edited November 2012

@David

As far as I know you have a Intel Core I7 920 CPU. Can you tell me please how big is the difference between Core I5 2500 K and Core I7 920 / Core I7 2700 in the speed ? And how big is the profit in rendering time ?

Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

As far as I know you have a Intel Core I7 920 CPU. Can you tell me please how big is the difference between Core I5 2500 K and Core I7 920 / Core I7 2700 in the speed ?

I'd tell you if I could, but I don't know. My last processor was a P4 and the i7 was 10x faster than that. Prior to that I had a AMD 750 and before that a P1 200mhz. That is the extent of my CPU experience. I got the i7 920 because at the time, on paper, it offered the most calculations per second/pound spent - looking at benchmarks and shopping around for good prices. Also considered is that Bryce cannot address more than 8 cores (virtual and real combined). So fancy 12 core devices are not optimal and tend to be very expensive - or at least they were a couple of years ago.

edited December 1969

@David

Ok David, would you say Core i7 920 / i7 2700k / i7 3770 K (i think they all the same), are the best CPU who Bryce can use ?

edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

Ok David, would you say Core i7 920 / i7 2700k / i7 3770 K (i think they all the same), are the best CPU who Bryce can use ?

Sorry Roland, you are asking the wrong person, I don't have much experience with different hardware. I only buy a PC when I've killed the last one. I can only say that I am happy with the performance of my i7 920 but burdened by Windows 7 being a bloated memory hog and the way it continues to consume HD space.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @David

Here is a comparison:
    http://processors.findthebest.com/compare/778-782-813/Intel-i7-2700K-vs-Intel-i7-920-vs-Intel-i7-3770K

Remember to take a look at the socket they use - if it is wrong for your motherboard, you are in trouble.

edited December 1969

@David

"I can only say that I am happy with the performance of my i7 920"

That is the answer i want hear. Thank you.

edited November 2012

Kerya said:
    Roland4 said:
    @David

Here is a comparison:
    http://processors.findthebest.com/compare/778-782-813/Intel-i7-2700K-vs-Intel-i7-920-vs-Intel-i7-3770K

Remember to take a look at the socket they use - if it is wrong for your motherboard, you are in trouble.

Thank you. So i see Intel-i7-3770K is a little faster. I have the right Motherboard.

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited November 2012

And the 920 only supports up to 24GB RAM - the other two up to 32GB (with W7 64bit Professional you can do that).
    It wouldn't help with Bryce at the moment, but maybe in the future.

And Dual Display Support is only available for the 2700k.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Rareth, glad to see the tutorials are followable... simple scene, but good results.

Roland4, nice work with the cave entrance and the streaming light, it's a tricky subject for Bryce's render to get good light distribution.

Let my computer labour over some lighting tests.

Here are the links to the obscure lighting video's for anyone else who wants to have a go at this. You don't need to watch the first one to make it work. That is just there to explain how it works. The rest are rather more practical and to the point.

Bryce 30 minute lighting project - obscure lighting experiment - a video by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute lighting project - how to set up "obscure" lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 10 minute lighting project - converting a scene to obscure lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 10 minute scene project - lighting Eireann.sg's Wings 3D cube - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - obscure glows - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 15 minute scene project - how to set up multiple glowing objects - by David Brinnen

I think I need to go over the tutorials a couple more times,

David, how are you eliminating the noise TA seems to generate, I've cranked everything up and I still get noise

edited December 1969

Ratheth. Depends where the noise is coming from.

If from IBL shown as background image. Via TA firewall. Put gels inside to light the scene.

If from small light sources within the render environment, stimulated by IBL inside background link (the obscure approach). Half IBL effect and put radials inside the light sources. The mix of direct and indirect will increase render time but will also reduce noise. Sometimes you can get away with turning cast shadows off for these lights.

If black fireflies. The issue is possibly inverted normals in a model - try using mesh smooth options in Bryce, sometimes that does the trick.

If white fireflies. Check out reflective surfaces, if combined with diffuse, the light can multiply and cause a problem.

Failing all else, render very large and use noise cancellation in a paint package. Then reduce the size of the render to mitigate the effect of noise cancellation - which can leave artefacts.

edited December 1969

Ratheth. Depends where the noise is coming from.

If from IBL shown as background image. Via TA firewall. Put gels inside to light the scene.

If from small light sources within the render environment, stimulated by IBL inside background link (the obscure approach). Half IBL effect and put radials inside the light sources. The mix of direct and indirect will increase render time but will also reduce noise. Sometimes you can get away with turning cast shadows off for these lights.

If black fireflies. The issue is possibly inverted normals in a model - try using mesh smooth options in Bryce, sometimes that does the trick.

If white fireflies. Check out reflective surfaces, if combined with diffuse, the light can multiply and cause a problem.

Failing all else, render very large and use noise cancellation in a paint package. Then reduce the size of the render to mitigate the effect of noise cancellation - which can leave artefacts.

ok that helps, I was getting a bit too ambitious with obscure lighting, I think I was getting noise from IBL, small light sources, and reflections..

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Still putting off the render that requires some work and procrastinating with some easy stuff:

DragonCloseMetal-ALT.jpg
    600 x 600 - 212K
    edited November 2012

Cracking render Dave, looks alike a bit of macro photography, great balance of light and DOF effect.

New lighting tutorial - new lighting theory.

Bryce 15 minute lighting project - specular obscure lighting theory - a video by David Brinnen

A not very exciting render... using the new method.

Obscure_through_specular_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 304K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Still putting off the render that requires some work and procrastinating with some easy stuff:

That's a great one!

edited November 2012

Run off a few more lighting tests...

1 just to show the geometry.

2 inner specular obscure.

3 inner diffuse obscure.

4 is 2 and 3 combined in PSP8

HDRI used one of Horo's Simplon_3840 from here http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hdri-pack1/?cjref=1

The Wings3D "thingies" were provided/moddeled by Eireann.sg

Inner_diff_and_spec_layer_combine1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 374K
    Inner_diffuse_obscure_radial1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 282K
    Inner_specular_obscure_radial1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 301K
    Just_grey_scene1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 107K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969