ancient Texture on Genesis

UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
edited December 1969 in New Users

hello

I brought all that I could find about Genesis for old figure supports (so shape, iconic, GenX + GenX addons), but the Loryn ink dragon (here : http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dragon-ink-loryn-for-steph-petite-aiko) and its counterpart for M3/H3 doesn't work at all.

So if any of you has an idea as of why it doesn't, or if there's a product I missed that's the cause of of this problem, or if it's impossible, it would be very nice to tell me. I've been looking for the reason all the weekend, but couldn't think of a solution.

Thank you for your time !

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,198
    edited December 1969

Textures for the third generation figures won't work on Genesis, unless you use the Texture Converter 2 to turn them into fourth generation textures. The problem is that the way the maps were laid out changed between third and fourth generation figures, so simply changing the UVs for the existing layout (as is done with the different UV sets) won't work.

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Thank you so very much for telling me !

I will buy the necessary items then... too bad I answered here after making the previous purchases :/

edited December 1969

Oh it works like a charm.

Still, how do I tell the vendors of the GenX and Shapes's thingy that their description is misleading onto the fact it's actually giving the impression that the textures will work please ?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Ukyuu said:
    Oh it works like a charm.

Still, how do I tell the vendors of the GenX and Shapes's thingy that their description is misleading onto the fact it's actually giving the impression that the textures will work please ?

With GenX, you can transfer all or selected morphs from a supported figure to Genesis. And thanks to the auto follow feature of DAZ Studio, all clothing will also fit these morphs.

The word 'Textures' is never mentioned that I can see.

Which part do you find confusing?

edited December 1969

It's on the shape addons that I got confused:

ote class="UserQuote">

After turning Genesis into one of the legacy figures with the according shape package, you can now give them back all the characters, shapes, and expressions that you have for the original figure. With GenX, you can transfer all or selected morphs from a supported figure to Genesis. And thanks to the auto follow feature of DAZ Studio, all clothing will also fit these morphs.

It's because it says we can give back the characters, so I thought that the textures (which kind of makes part of the characters) could transfer automatically.

I believe it's my lack of knowledge of the vocabulary, but others might be confused too.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Dirty little secret...most of the texture packs for the characters, over the years, in each generation, use the same 12 or so 'source' material packs...so there isn't all THAT much variation, or at least as much as is implied by the vast number of character packs (in some cases the number of 'sources' is only 3 or 4).

And much of the variation in individual characters is make-up and 'base skin tone'...

edited December 1969

Oh, I understand. So they took the A3 texture for example, and painted whatever they wanted on it ?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Ukyuu said:
    Oh, I understand. So they took the A3 texture for example, and painted whatever they wanted on it ?

More like there were a couple of 'base' sets that everyone used to build from...