question about posing

cory77_dad5a3bd45cory77_dad5a3bd45 Posts: 73
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

hi all:

One of the most frustrating and time consuming things about posing is the way the hips do not react naturally with the waist and lower extremities without doing it doing it manually. What I mean by that is, if you have a standing figure and you translate the hip up down, the knees do not bend on their own the way I would think they should.

Some of the most basic video game posers have this. I find it odd DAZ does not. Am i missing something is there a way to enable this capability? I'm using DS 4.5 pro and I only use V4, V5/Genesis models.

Also I have spent hundreds if not a thousand dollars on v4 content. Clothes, hair etc. Is there any way to make them compatible with v5/genesis. I have seen the video about making it work but morphs become unusable. Is there a way to use the items on V5/Gen and still use morphs, particularly with the hairs? As the v5/gen, hair selection seems very limited.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Make sure you have IK enabled and with the Universal tool (alt+shift+U) "pin" the feet.
    The when hip translated, knees will bend

I have no problem using V4 hair and retaining morphs.
    I believe that problem was fixed in one of the earlier releases of 4.5 (I am using 4.5.1.6)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Depending on the morphs, you may be able to get some of them usable (I'm assuming in the clothes themselves). Usually, manually running the transfer, instead of letting Autofit do it, will preserve some of them (usually posing/movement type for the item and some of the basic shaping/fitting ones). For 'figure specific' ones (Morphs++, Muscle, etc) you need the Iconic Shapes, GenX and the morph sets...then you can get most to all working.

If you go into PowerPose and pin the feet against Translation and then select the Pelvis, you will get 'natural' leg movement, except it tends to drop the toes below the floor (if you pin the toes, you get strange distortions..). This is mainly because many 'game' rigs have an extra bone in the foot, specifically for this...Daz models don't, so without pinning there is no way for bones to react, other than translation.

• cory77_dad5a3bd45cory77_dad5a3bd45 Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

thank you guys. I may ask more questions after trying this. :)

edited December 1969

Ok im still having trouble in a couple areas. Here is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to use the style morphs for celestial hair for V4 on V5. I it says they imported but when I move the dials, nothing changed. This happens with other hairs as well.

I am beginning to really regret purchasing v5 pro bundle. I should have just stuck with v4. V5/genesis is pretty much useless to me. :(

edited December 1969

This is an older hair (2007), the morphs channels are in a separate pose file and must be injected after hair is put into scene
    You have to select the neck part of hair to use morphs.
    For this particular hair, two slots appear, one named "Morphs" and other named "Morph".
    Most of the ones you want will be under "Morph".

edited December 1969

Sorry. there may have been a misunderstanding. It morphs works for my v4 model. I'm trying to get it to work on v5. As i stated when i fit it to v5, the morphs apear as imported but when i use the sliders, nothing changes.

Again this only on V5. Works fine on v4. Sorry for not being more clear.

edited December 1969

I am talking about using the hair on V5.
    It works fine if you used the steps I described.

edited December 1969

oh ok i'll try again. my apologizes.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

You dont have to rely on the fit to function if you dont want to. Any model can be parented to another within DS and treated like a prop. With hair you can parent it to the head of the figure you are using and manually raise or lower it and then scale it to better fit the figure. Scaling can be done from the main level or at the head or neck portion of a hair model that is rigged as a figure. It take a little more time but you can get much better results at times but it will depend on the hair and the person doing it so patience is required. However, this is not difficult. The same approache can be used with shoes and boots when you want to use them for a figure that they are not intended for.

edited December 1969

When i select neck this is what i see in parameters pane:

in the morph tab I get a dial labeled (115):-

in the morphs tab i get two dials labled V4 adj-m and V4 adj STR

I don't see the morphs

edited December 1969

Did you inject the morphs from the pose file included with the MAT poses?

anotherexamp.jpg
    1100 x 596 - 63K
    edited December 1969

No how do i do that with v5 i don't see the option for it. Shouldn't it do this automatically when the hair is loaded? it always did with V4.

edited December 1969

ok i got them loaded. Forgot that hair you have to load them manually. However though the morphs now appear, when i adjust sliders there's no effect on the model. btw i do have the v4 shapes for genisis, so that's not an issue. I'm lost

edited November 2012

I believe you are not doing the steps in the right order. Lets try again.

(1) bring hair into scene, do not "Fit to" yet. If dialog box comes up hit cancel.
    (2) Apply morphs 01-Celestial-V4-INJ.pz2 from pose folder Celestial-Hair-MATS
    (3) With hair still selected, go to Misc under Parameter tab and "Fit to -->Genesis"
    (4) when dialog box comes up select "Victoria 4" and "Hair-->Long" in respective boxes, choose "Accept"
    (5) in Parameters tab select neck of hair and "Morph" (not Morphs) section. All morphs there.

Post edited by Medzin on
    edited December 1969

the morphs are there now but they are under morphs/imported. The dial names are greyed out and when I move the dails nothing changes. The premade styles don't even change when loaded. I'm begining to think morphs for v4 hair just don't work for v5. :(

edited December 1969

razor1977 said:
    the morphs are there now but they are under morphs/imported. The dial names are greyed out and when I move the dails nothing changes. The premade styles don't even change when loaded. I'm begining to think morphs for v4 hair just don't work for v5. :(

Your basic problem is not reading instructions, I said

(5) in Parameters tab select neck of hair and "Morph" (not Morphs) section. All morphs there.

you have not selected the neck part of hair. The hair works on V5 if you follow steps in correct order and not just select random parts of figure

edited November 2012

I only get the option to either click on celestial hair or celestial hair head from the right click menu box. I have to select celestial hair neck from the parameters drop down box. then I go to morph just like you said. Once there i get a slider labled (115)-

the morphs only appear when celestial hair v4 is selected from the parameters drop down menu. then there is only a morphs button below display. there is no Morph. When i expand morphs then i get imported and then neck. When i expand neck, that is where they are and they are greyed out like they are hid.

Once again i repeat when i select the neck part from the drop down and then Morph, i get a slider labeled (115)- nothing else. If i new how to screen cap i'd show you.

Post edited by cory77_dad5a3bd45 on
    edited December 1969

There is not much effort to make screen capture.
    Standard keyboard has button saying "PrtScn".
    You press that once. Then open 2D image editor program that you prefer (Photoshop, PaintShop, whatever)
    Depending on program, you might have to create new empty file first, make dimensions about same as screen.
    Then paste contents of clipboard into file (usually a control V).
    Then crop picture down to size for showing concerned area and save as JPEG with high compression (makes small)
    When in forum, attach image in thread by browse to location where you save

That is how I make this image that show parameter visible and operational when neck is selected

pbexamp2.jpg
    500 x 333 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Eureka! i got it. Turns out I had to turn the camera around to get to an area where it allowed me to click the neck part. Apparently you cannot select the neck via pane drop down menu. You have to use the right click pop up menu. Thanks for all of your help. I know it was frustrating.

I do have one question. (don't worry should be easy) I was thinking of getting genesis generation x. How do i find out whether i have genesis 4 or not? I need to know whether i need the upgrade which is cheaper or the regular pkg.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

razor1977 said:
    Eureka! i got it. Turns out I had to turn the camera around to get to an area where it allowed me to click the neck part. Apparently you cannot select the neck via pane drop down menu. You have to use the right click pop up menu. Thanks for all of your help. I know it was frustrating.

I do have one question. (don't worry should be easy) I was thinking of getting genesis generation x. How do i find out whether i have genesis 4 or not? I need to know whether i need the upgrade which is cheaper or the regular pkg.

If memory serves the Gen4 product by Dimension3D was on sale for a brief-ish period at Renderosity. It then got updated to Generation X and was moved across to the store here. If you know you have never bought anything at Renderosity it'd be safe to say you don't have the original product (and hence no update path). Else check in your account, under Item List and either select Dimension3D from the list under 'sort by vendor' or put 'Gen4' in 'search by item name' and hit the appropriate 'go' button.