Why would I use Poser?

hot4ewehot4ewe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was under the impression that Daz was used for creating the characters, and that Poser was used for ... posing them I guess. But after installing Daz (yesterday!) I find that it has a built in posing system ... I forget the name of it, but I believe it's on a 30 day trial. Anyway, it seems to do a terrific job of changing the poses of a character. (animate2 maybe? -- I think that's what it's called).

Now I really don't understand what I would use Poser for. Does it do better poses than Daz? Does it make better looking models? Does it render better? Can you do things in Poser that you can't do to a model in Daz?

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited November 2012

As a matter of fact both Daz & poser are for posing & animating. "Creating" something in either pretty much boils down to modifying someone else's mesh in some way: People who create new content use other programs.

Each program does things that the other doesn't. Prior to Daz 4 and Poser 9/2012 they were pretty similar & differences could be gotten around pretty easily. With 4.5 & Poser 9/2012 they've diverged quite a bit.

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • hot4ewehot4ewe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. That cleared up one item for me - I wondered just how these artists create the models that we all use in Daz ... whether it was within Daz or from yet another program. Once I've mastered Daz (AS IF!) I may do a trial run on Poser. I can only learn so many new programs at once time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

Yes it's really horses for courses as regards DS and Poser, some prefer one, some prefer the other.

DS of course does have the advantage that it is currently available at 100% discount.

TO actually create anything you will need a modelling program, and Hexagon is also on offer at 1000% discount, so is a good modelling program to cut your teeth on http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/hexagon/hexagon-2-5-download-version, and has the added advantage that there is a "bridge" between DS and Hexagon.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 1969

I tried Poser about a year ago and after e few days I quit trying.
    A few month ago I came across DAZ4.5 and decided to give 3D another try and it actually made (some) sence to me!
    Somehow the Poser enviroment doesn't seem logic to me, although I think it will be more easy now I understand 3D mechanics a bit better.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ...and Hexagon is also on offer at 1000% discount

A thousand percent! They're actually paying you to use it!!! %-P

edited December 1969

Oh dear, must have a sticky zero key on the keyboard, I bet one of the cats has been walking all over it again in the dead of night.

edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    I tried Poser about a year ago and after e few days I quit trying.
    A few month ago I came across DAZ4.5 and decided to give 3D another try and it actually made (some) sence to me!
    Somehow the Poser enviroment doesn't seem logic to me, although I think it will be more easy now I understand 3D mechanics a bit better.

I on the other hand tried poser ......... back when it was Poser 3, ........... and have never looked back.

As I said, horses for courses.