List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes

DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
edited July 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

A special thanks to Pendraia from the old DAZ 3D Forums for compiling this information. The full thread is still available here : List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes

Important Information
There have been some updates to Shadermixer. A more detailed list can be found here
Please noteShader Mixer and Shader Builder are now consistent (by default) in that the brick/block network flows from left to right, like a[n English] book is read. From start (the input - either user or programmatic) to finish (the final output or the "root"). If you prefer the flow of the network to be in the opposite direction, where the roots/outputs are on the left and all of the inputs flow in from the right, you can change the default for any new shaders in Edit > General Preferences. Each shader can be changed separately in Edit > Shader Preferences.

Hi, I find it very difficult to locate all the snippets of information on Shadermixer in all the different threads. Once found it often becomes hard to find them again. So I have started a list where recipes or tutorials can be found for shadermixer. I'm hoping that others will add recipes and tutorials that they have found.

Some info on what the abbreviations mean Thanks ReDave

If you want to change the direction the nodes run look here

Some theory from lakeworks forum on shaders:
https://www.lakeworks.com/forums/colour-filtering-in-diffuse-ambient-channel-the-theory-t209.html

Tutorials:
Beginners Tutorial by Carnite

Shadowcatcher and Saving Preset Tutorials by Carnite(Video)

Shader Mixer (Daz Wiki)

YouTube Video DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 1

YouTube VideoDAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 2

Recipes:
Fun with Area lights

Global illumination thread contains many different recipes (In my opinion the best thread I have found so far.)

Point lights

Shadow catcher

recipe to add AO to a surface that uses DS standard shaders:

Gel lights

Caustics/global illumination

Using Elite Textures with DS3A Ubersurface

Tiling fix in Shader Mixer

Stonemason's version of default ds shader + ao recipe

'When AO strength is less than 1, the whole object turns grey :?'
This is not a bug please see ketthrove's explanation and alternative recipe down below on this page.

Worldspace direction of a surface normal

Toon Shaders

Venetian Blinds

Justthebast Depth Cue recipe

Akhbour's Mood master fix using a depth cue cam

Toon Recipes by ReDave

Rust WIP

Esque's recipe to fill an area of a surface with a color based on UV coordinates with ShaderMixer. (WIP but some interesting info)

Baking with procedurals

Fantastic ideas for doing plaid, argyles and checks by Age of Armor

Animating shaders by Ketthrove

Decoupling ambient from diffuse Nice mini-tutorial by ReDave for Shaderbuilder but it includes a recipe for approximating the effect in shader mixer.

A recipe for using with dirty rounds from ReDave

Fisty's exploration in specular and tie dye recipes

Leather by Saganami

Using Blur

New ambient occlusion network by KaribousBoutique
This thread provides some info on creating the above network

Point Light info and an example from Richard

Another thread on point lights with a recipe from adamr001

Volumetric Lighting(Creating fog) answer by Just the Bast

Volume Functions(Creating Fog)Recipes from Just the Bast and ReDave

3D delight and Renderman documentation:
http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_12.html#SEC17

http://www.vga.hr/resources/tutorials/3d/rsl/index.htm

http://accad.osu.edu/~smay/RManNotes/rmannotes.html

http://www.renderman.org/RMR/index.html

http://www.fundza.com/

For those who find Shadermixer a bit overwhelming and for those who want to play with some of the recipes the easy way I have set up a thread for links to Shadermixer presets that have been released. You can find the thread here

If you find any links that I may have missed please either post here or pm me so that I can include them.

Hope this is useful

Pen
Edit to correct link and add additional links

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Anyone know how to access the threads in the old forum pointed to in this post?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

bringho said:

Change the URL from "forum.daz3d.com" to "forumarchive.daz3d.com"

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

bringho said:

Change the URL from "forum.daz3d.com" to "forumarchive.daz3d.com"

Thanks M8.

Just found it in another thread :coolsmile:

Here are the corrected links:

A special thanks to Pendraia from the old DAZ 3D Forums for compiling this information.

The full thread is still available here :
    List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes

Important Information

There have been some updates to Shadermixer. A more detailed list can be found here

Please noteShader Mixer and Shader Builder are now consistent (by default) in that the brick/block network flows from left to right, like a[n English] book is read. From start (the input - either user or programmatic) to finish (the final output or the “root”). If you prefer the flow of the network to be in the opposite direction, where the roots/outputs are on the left and all of the inputs flow in from the right, you can change the default for any new shaders in Edit > General Preferences. Each shader can be changed separately in Edit > Shader Preferences.

Hi, I find it very difficult to locate all the snippets of information on Shadermixer in all the different threads. Once found it often becomes hard to find them again. So I have started a list where recipes or tutorials can be found for shadermixer. I’m hoping that others will add recipes and tutorials that they have found.

Some info on what the abbreviations mean Thanks ReDave

If you want to change the direction the nodes run look here

Some theory from lakeworks forum on shaders:

https://www.lakeworks.com/forums/colour-filtering-in-diffuse-ambient-channel-the-theory-t209.html

Tutorials:

Beginners Tutorial by Carnite

Shadowcatcher and Saving Preset Tutorials by Carnite(Video)

Shader Mixer (Daz Wiki)

YouTube Video DAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 1

YouTube VideoDAZ 3D - Shader Mixer Part 2

Recipes:

Fun with Area lights

Global illumination thread contains many different recipes (In my opinion the best thread I have found so far.)

Point lights

Shadow catcher

recipe to add AO to a surface that uses DS standard shaders:

Gel lights

Caustics/global illumination

Using Elite Textures with DS3A Ubersurface

Tiling fix in Shader Mixer

Stonemason’s version of default ds shader + ao recipe

‘When AO strength is less than 1, the whole object turns grey :?’

This is not a bug please see ketthrove’s explanation and alternative recipe down below on this page.

Worldspace direction of a surface normal

Toon Shaders

Venetian Blinds 

Justthebast Depth Cue recipe

Akhbour’s Mood master fix using a depth cue cam

Toon Recipes by ReDave

Rust WIP

Esque’s recipe to fill an area of a surface with a color based on UV coordinates with ShaderMixer. (WIP but some interesting info)

Baking with procedurals

Fantastic ideas for doing plaid, argyles and checks by Age of Armor

Animating shaders by Ketthrove

Decoupling ambient from diffuse Nice mini-tutorial by ReDave for Shaderbuilder but it includes a recipe for approximating the effect in shader mixer.

A recipe for using with dirty rounds from ReDave

Fisty’s exploration in specular and tie dye recipes

Leather by Saganami

Using Blur

New ambient occlusion network by KaribousBoutique

This thread provides some info on creating the above network

Point Light info and an example from Richard

Another thread on point lights with a recipe from adamr001

Volumetric Lighting(Creating fog) answer by Just the Bast

Volume Functions(Creating Fog)Recipes from Just the Bast and ReDave

3D delight and Renderman documentation:

http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_12.html#SEC17

http://www.vga.hr/resources/tutorials/3d/rsl/index.htm

http://accad.osu.edu/~smay/RManNotes/rmannotes.html

http://www.renderman.org/RMR/index.html

http://www.fundza.com/

For those who find Shadermixer a bit overwhelming and for those who want to play with some of the recipes the easy way I have set up a thread for links to Shadermixer presets that have been released. You can find the thread here

If you find any links that I may have missed please either post here or pm me so that I can include them.

Hope this is useful

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I've updated the original post.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Thanks for updating the links! : )

Woohoo my first post in the new forum...

Hugs

Pen

• EnerlaEnerla Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

You can't log in at old forums, so you can't see the images, I think. Which can be an issue here. Is there any way to make sure we can log in to that old forum?

edited December 1969

Not that I know of...but you can copy and paste the url for it and alter it so that you can access the images. Sorry I'm not sure what you change and I'm about to go to work.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Click on any link, then on the browser bar add "archive" after "forum" so that it reads "forumarchive.daz3d", this will display the thread. To view images copy the "postimages/origimage_whatever.jpg" part of a picture link and add it after forumarchive.daz3d.com/ on your browser bar

edited December 1969

Thanks for helping ReDave...: )

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

No problem! :-D

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited June 2012

There used to be a tutorial to create glowing surfaces, like Tron lights or lamps that emitted lights without an actual light placed inside them. Anyone know where to find this?

EDIT: N/M, tired, first real link on the list XD;

Post edited by AeonicB on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

I've been using a displaced Weave with color occlusion to attempt a "nonskid steel plate" effect, but so far, all I've got looks like wire-weave. How do I reduce strand width in the Weave node (Shader Mixer, DS 4.5.n) without decreasing the scale of the weave itself?

Occlusion,_weave,_and_deck-plate.jpg
    454 x 626 - 279K
    edited December 1969

I've been using a displaced Weave with color occlusion to attempt a "nonskid steel plate" effect, but so far, all I've got looks like wire-weave. How do I reduce strand width in the Weave node (Shader Mixer, DS 4.5.n) without decreasing the scale of the weave itself?
    Good question....I'll have to have a look. It won't happen tonight as I'm braindead. One and half days to go till I'm on holidays for most of January and work's very hectic.
  • edited December 1969

how do I open the shader mixer in daz 4.5 I cannot find how to open it also how do I use the shaders that I have like furity or toon shaders.

edited December 1969

Window>Panes(Tabs)>Shader Mixer. If you are using the Full Service layout not all panes will be available - if it's not there, use Window>Workspace>Select layout to switch to one of the other layouts.

• edited December 1969

I did all layouts and none of them have shader mixer

edited December 1969

Is you DS the free Pro version from the store, or the direct download? If it's the direct download I think you need to buy the free version in the store and download that, using the serial number that will be placed in your account pages, to get Shader Mixer.

• edited December 1969

thank you so much I finally was able to get it

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 430
    edited December 1969

I am a beginner and the only tutorials I can find that deal with the Shader Mixer have been for DS3.x Advanced. I downloaded all of Carnite's Videos on the subject, but I'm using 4.5 Pro, and the layout is way different. I know I have the Shader Mixer because I can find the place where the files are stored. I just need to find a tutorial that is up to date for working with it in 4.5 Pro. Since I am a beginner, it will need to be as clear an concise as it can be, like the ones Carnite made for 3.x Advanced. Does anyone know where I can find at least one or two?
    Thanks in advance.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am a beginner and the only tutorials I can find that deal with the Shader Mixer have been for DS3.x Advanced. I downloaded all of Carnite's Videos on the subject, but I'm using 4.5 Pro, and the layout is way different. I know I have the Shader Mixer because I can find the place where the files are stored. I just need to find a tutorial that is up to date for working with it in 4.5 Pro. Since I am a beginner, it will need to be as clear an concise as it can be, like the ones Carnite made for 3.x Advanced. Does anyone know where I can find at least one or two?
    Thanks in advance.

That's pretty much all there is...

Things in 4.5 aren't THAT different (as far as SM goes...yeah, the bricks line up the opposite direction and some of them them are in different locations). The basics covered in those older tutorials are still valid.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Good question....I'll have to have a look. It won't happen tonight as I'm braindead. One and half days to go till I'm on holidays for most of January and work's very hectic.

Okay...finally got chance to look at it.

I'm assuming you want a mesh with gaps between it but still interwoven?

If you don't you could probably simulate a mesh with square holes using a basic image map as an alpha and also for displacement to give its more depth.

If you want a woven mesh with gaps between it is probably beyond my abilities to help. I'm not sure but would image it may require using some of the math bricks.

edited December 2012

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:

Okay...finally got chance to look at it.

I'm assuming you want a mesh with gaps between it but still interwoven?

If you don't you could probably simulate a mesh with square holes using a basic image map as an alpha and also for displacement to give its more depth.

If you want a woven mesh with gaps between it is probably beyond my abilities to help. I'm not sure but would image it may require using some of the math bricks.
    Not at all. What I'm looking for is a way to replicate nonskid steel decking (http://www.sharecg.com/v/60950/browse/6/Texture/Diamond-Plate or some variant on the same). I want to flatten the area between the weave heights...

...I think I just solved my own problem. If it works, I'll post the link here.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

That weave pattern is mathematically generated and compiled into the shader...so without changing the formula and recompiling you won't be able to get what you are after. It's the same for most, if not all, of the patterns. They are formula based and start life as 'include' files that get compiled into the shader.

I think you'll have better luck with using a tiled displacement or normal map and using an actual image of the diamond plate to start with...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    That weave pattern is mathematically generated and compiled into the shader...so without changing the formula and recompiling you won't be able to get what you are after. It's the same for most, if not all, of the patterns. They are formula based and start life as 'include' files that get compiled into the shader.

I think you'll have better luck with using a tiled displacement or normal map and using an actual image of the diamond plate to start with...

I'm actually getting rather good results now, as long as I don't insist that the bumps be particularly diamond-shaped. I just had to level the threads with a "Max" modifier at about .75 or so.

edited December 1969

Yeah, that will work, if you don't strictly need the diamond pattern.

By default, at least some of the patterns are included in almost all displacement shaders written in RSL...whether they are actually used in that shader or not. It isn't an 'expensive' thing to do, as most of the formulas are just a few bytes in size. But by being hard coded, like that, it does limit what can be done to the patterns.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 430
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Thanks in advance.

That's pretty much all there is...

Things in 4.5 aren't THAT different (as far as SM goes...yeah, the bricks line up the opposite direction and some of them them are in different locations). The basics covered in those older tutorials are still valid.

I took your advice and was able to make a Shader Preset of my own today and save it to my content. There are a few things that are different in the new version that make it confusing if you don't pay close attention. I followed Carnite's tutorials rather than the one called Shader Mixer Tutorial 1.
    Shader Mixer Tutorial 1 is a good bit more complicated, and I'll need to do a good bit of practicing before getting into that one. As it too is for DAZ Studio 3 Advanced, there are some differences that make it difficult to follow when using 4.5 Pro. The Bump, Displacement, and Normal Map Bricks are no longer unattached from the main network by default. This of course threw me up against a brick wall (Pun Fully Intended, lol) I read beyond it to see if clarity would be forthcoming, but alas I find that one of the Image Bricks is used in the Bump and Displacement network, and because the generated bricks are not in the same sequence as in the tutorial, nor do they have the same names, I am at a loss as to which Image Brick is the correct one to use for that network.
    So for now I will keep it simple and get some practice under my belt. As for the Shader Mixer Tutorial 1, I am glad I got it free because if I had not, I would be very disappointed indeed.
    Stay Awesome!

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I'm actually getting rather good results now, as long as I don't insist that the bumps be particularly diamond-shaped. I just had to level the threads with a "Max" modifier at about .75 or so.
    Nice to know, I'm glad it's working for you...

edited December 1969

Here's the resulting shader, in DS3 (composed in DS4.5, saved as DSA to use in prior versions.). Entirely procedural: no maps whatever.

Steel_Plate_Dress.jpg
    648 x 628 - 111K
    edited December 1969

Hi Eustace, would you be able to post an image of your network so others can use it to create their own shaders? I would be interested in knowing how you space them further apart for using in other shaders...

thanks

Pen

edited December 1969

Give me a day or two: sure. I'll try to post some legible screenshots by the weekend (and put the shader itself up at ShareCG).

This discussion has been closed.