shadow errors

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited November 2012 in The Commons

Question:

Why is daz3.1.2.xx or daz4.5 pro (64bit) unable to create correct shadows when using ray traced shadow for distant or spot lights?

The top in this render do not touch the skin surface and has space to it and even it is so, there are parts where daz do not create shadow.

this is just an example, I have done a lot renders on which I had to do postwork to have correct shadows.

It has nothing to do with shadow softness, I have tryed a lot different values.

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

You probably need to lower the Shadow Bias - that's an offset, in cm, for the sahdow to avoid situations where a surface shadows itself - usually producing ugly banding - but it does mean that things that are close together may fail to show shadows at all. Try dropping the bias down to .1 initially.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

You probably need to lower the Shadow Bias - that's an offset, in cm, for the sahdow to avoid situations where a surface shadows itself - usually producing ugly banding - but it does mean that things that are close together may fail to show shadows at all. Try dropping the bias down to .1 initially.

hmm, shadow bias was 1 in this render and the distance between the top (shoulder / waistline) is more than a 1cm I guess. is there another value I can change for that? maybe in the main render settings?

edited December 1969

ah maybe that was it, have changed the value of the shadow bias down to 0.25 and it seems in a first test, that the shadow is okay :)

edited December 1969

thanks for the help richard, that was the problem :) I have tried also some things with shadow bias before but maybe in the wrong direction :) not lower but higher values :) my fault

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Higher values make it creep more 'under the edge', so to speak...and if you go high enough you can almost reverse the direction of the shadow.