Error in mailout - Marrakesh Souks 2012 upgrade

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So, I got an e-mail stating that as a buyer of Marrakesh Souks, I was qualified to get 80% off Marakesh Souks 2012, and that if I put it in my cart, it would ring out at the correct price. So, I put it in my cart and went through the motions of checking out and... no discount. Then I checked my history and it turns out I never bought Marrakesh Souks, just the add-on. I wonder how many others got the same erroneous mail-out?

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

Yea, I'm on the case - though obviously need to wait until DAZ opens :)

Thanks for your patience!

edited November 2012

Just to clarify a points as well.

I've emailed this out - not DAZ (or is this actually from DAZ which I'm not aware of?). You got the email as you signed up to my mailing list over at jacktomalin.com. The timing just seems weird given I kicked off a mailshot at the same time you posted this.

The discount, when it works, will be for people who previously purchased either the original Marrakesh Souks, or the Marrakesh Anniversary bundle. Don't forget, new customers receive a 30% introductory discount regardless.

When you say you've only bought the addon, what addon is that?

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
    edited December 1969

Clarification of a clarification (like Clarifiception?)

I'm being made aware that DAZ *has* sent an email out. I don't know what item you bought originally, so don't know if it's in error or not.. but that said, there still seems to be some issues with discounts not applying on the previous Marrakesh Anniversary Bundle purchases. If you purchased that, then sit tight and the issues will be fixed ASAP (best keep an eye on the JAS thread)

If you haven't purchased any of it before - apologies for the spam. If you would like to, there's a 30% intro discount on that, and the rest of my store.

Phew, time for a cup of tea!

Cheers!

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited November 2012

*raises hand* (^_^)n

yep, got the email (from DAZ), got the Marrakesh Anniversary Bundle (in my History), tried the new Marrakesh 2012 in basket, did NOT get the advertised discount on checkout... sitting tight for now (seeing as it's on special for a week ^_^).

Enjoy your tea Jack, I suspect this might be the quiet before the storm ;-).

Post edited by M F M on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited November 2012

Same as M F M.... went as far as order recap and no discount... I bought the Marrakesh bundle which I guess is no longer in the store? No hurry here.... just up late downloading stuff from PoserWorld and listening to hit list on music choice:)

Post edited by mrposer on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    *raises hand* (^_^)n

yep, got the email (from DAZ), got the Marrakesh Anniversary Bundle (in my History), tried the new Marrakesh 2012 in basket, did NOT get the advertised discount on checkout... sitting tight for now (seeing as it's on special for a week ^_^).

Seems the bundle is the issue then.. :)

Quiet before the storm? Naaaaaaah, it's another day in paradise :)

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

How sad. The Marrakesh Souk Basket doesn't give me an 80% discount either.

But then ... I didn't expect it to. Since it was free at the time I purchased it.

I did find the DAZ marketing email confusing. A quick glance at the email states 80% off. It's not unless you take the time to read the finer print do you learn because you purchased the original product you are therefore entitled to that 80% off.

Of course, I didn't purchase the original product, nor did I purchase the bundle ... which would be why the store refuses to give me the 80% off ... even though DAZ states I did purchase the original product.

Gosh. You just can't believe everything you read!

edited December 1969

Well I guess a marketing email is just that - and you should always read the fine print! ;)

That said, while you should never say never, the chances of me releasing a new product with a discount of 80% is slim to none - it's simply not viable.

The only reason I discount re-releases >50% is out of courtesy and a thank you to the people who purchased the originals. For new customers, the 'standard' 30% discount is available - so I hope that pleases both parties. If not, well I apologise but it's the best I can do.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Ahh, I ahve the Anniversary bundle - no wonder no 80%. I shall sit patie .... are we there yet? ;)

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Well sad waste of time when i check the email and add to my cart, no discount.... well check my order history(because not all of us remember or install everything especially after a computer recently died) and no, not correct... so i come to check the forum to see to my dismay that sadly I do not actually get it at 80% off.

Most of your stuff, Mr Tomalin, is in my wishlist, but generally out of price range. Not a complaint, just like I buy the cheapest dishes for my kitchen instead of the nicest china... that's just how it rolls.

but a bit annoyed that Daz got my hopes up for nothing. I know they're rushing from one sale to another... first the PA sale, then the Daz Annual PC sale, and then the Black November, which is new and totally unexpected. So I suppose mistakes like this happen. But telling us we get something at 80% off isn't a good mistake, Daz. :(

edited December 1969

Well sad waste of time when i check the email and add to my cart, no discount.... well check my order history(because not all of us remember or install everything especially after a computer recently died) and no, not correct... so i come to check the forum to see to my dismay that sadly I do not actually get it at 80% off.

Most of your stuff, Mr Tomalin, is in my wishlist, but generally out of price range. Not a complaint, just like I buy the cheapest dishes for my kitchen instead of the nicest china... that's just how it rolls.

but a bit annoyed that Daz got my hopes up for nothing. I know they're rushing from one sale to another... first the PA sale, then the Daz Annual PC sale, and then the Black November, which is new and totally unexpected. So I suppose mistakes like this happen. But telling us we get something at 80% off isn't a good mistake, Daz. :(

All I can say, for future reference - is that if you see my name associated with discounts over 50% - be very wary until you read the small print. I don't want people getting their hopes up.

I'm sad to see the offer of 30% off for new customers is over shadowed by the lure of the 'huge' discount. Like I said earlier, 80% discounts on new products, for me at, least.. aren't an option.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Oh indeed, very unfair to you, Mr. Tomalin...30% off is itself fantastic, as are your sets, just generally out of my range, so admittedly the prospect of 80% off was quite exciting until reality set in. Generally I never see PAs that deeply discounted unless its much older, and there are a few PAs who habitually price things lower overall, but hey, got my hopes up for an overly spectacularly price item.

I do hope to see more renders of your new release. I may not be able to get it, but I sure can look and drool... *preps keyboard with cover to be drool-proof* :)

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602
    edited December 1969

I go the same email. It was from Daz and it says "because you purchased the original product...". But I did not purchase the original product so their marketing software should not have sent it to me. It looks as if someone at Daz has messed up.

I did get the free Souk Basket, but if that triggered the e-mail then it is still a bug in their system.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

I don't have either of the original products and I got the "because you purchased" email too.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited November 2012

Got the same e-mail and didn't purchase the previous item.. But I have learned that's the way it works sometimes here... And I understand Mr. Tomalin your sets are awesome and well worth the price unfortunately out of my price range on the best of days.. so I too drool over them.. Maybe one day :cheese: my bank account will cooperate.

Post edited by JennK on
  • DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

We are fixing this this morning. Very sorry.

M F M said:
    *raises hand* (^_^)n

• myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 567
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:
    M F M said:
    *raises hand* (^_^)n

fixing this how? may one ask
  • DAZ_Bcreek1DAZ_Bcreek1 Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

We sent an email to all customers who have previously purchased Marrakesh Souks to receive 80% off of the new Marrakesh Souks. There was a list of customers that got this email that did not purchase Marrakesh Souks. We apologize for the error. If you do not receive the 80% off of Marrakesh Souks and you believe you have purchase the old Marrakesh Souks, please send a Ticket to Sales with your order number for reference.

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

OK, should be working now for bundle owners.

DAZ_Kevin said:
    M F M said:
    *raises hand* (^_^)n

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited November 2012

Confirmed working for me - thanks Jack, and Kevin! (^_^)d

DAZ_Kevin said:
    OK, should be working now for bundle owners.
    DAZ_Kevin said:
    M F M said:
    *raises hand* (^_^)n

Post edited by M F M on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

I also didn't buy the original (I think) but got the email. Disappointing, but I'll probably end up buying it anyway with all of the great DAZ options you did for it. I can never have enough of these one-click loading sets. ;)

edited December 1969

Cheers - yea one-clickers are where its at! :D

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Mine!!! And for 80% off (thanks to having the anniversary bundle!).

• gishzidagishzida Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

I bought the original... I have the old version in my item history... the email does not work regardless how I try...

but after thinking about it... I am NOT going to contact DAZ because I an NOT going to buy the update...

Why?

What happened to the days when a vendor released an updated file and buyers of the old version got the update free... RMP has never done something like this... That's the way things used to be here...

This is not a "significantly different product" than the original so why should I pay again for something I already own? Is this the way DAZ is planning on "updating" old content? Count me out on those too.

I like your work Jack but I won't buy something I already own

edited November 2012

gishzida said:
    I bought the original... I have the old version in my item history... the email does not work regardless how I try...

but after thinking about it... I am NOT going to contact DAZ because I an NOT going to buy the update...

Why?

What happened to the days when a vendor released an updated file and buyers of the old version got the update free... RMP has never done something like this... That's the way things used to be here...

This is not a "significantly different product" than the original so why should I pay again for something I already own? Is this the way DAZ is planning on "updating" old content? Count me out on those too.

I like your work Jack but I won't buy something I already own

To be clear, DAZ don't set the pricing - it's down to the PA, in this case, me. DAZ have nothing to do with any of this.

At the start when the original RHS content was pulled it was my intention to re-texture the sets and release them as free updates. However as I started to work on them, it turns out I spent as much time as I do with 'new' products creating all the new textures from scratch, the completely new DS content, the new artwork etc. It was also the case that I optimised a lot of the old Poser materials, so nothing was as straightforward as I originally planned.

I had three choices, either bin the lot, rush it, or actually treat it as a new project. Clearly there was only one option - and it's nice to see a few emails actually commenting about the textures being better than than original, so I think it was worth the time and effort to do.

As a result, I needed to charge a nominal fee (I think it's averaging about 5$) for the new updates (which is not bad for a new texture pack, ignoring all the other new features) to cover my time invested in it. Each product so far has been about 6 weeks of working evenings and weekends, on top of my new PA and PC content. It's a labour of love, and really given the choice I'd rather be working on new content - but I feel I owe it to the original owners and the legacy of my back-catalogue to get them out again. After all, they're not bad models. The sad fact is that even charging this fee, I'm not actually covering the costs of my time on this. However, I'm willing to swallow that since most of the feedback has been positive.

I'm sorry you feel it's not worth it - but hey, it's your choice, you can continue to use the existing sets.

• zyxadtzyxadt Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I got the e-mail from Daz3d.
    I had previously purchased the product.
    I did get the discount at check out.

edited November 2012

zyxadt said:
    I got the e-mail from Daz3d.
    I had previously purchased the product.
    I did get the discount at check out.

If only it was always this straightforward.

Thanks and enjoy the new set :)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

I got a great new texture set and updated shaders for a little over $4.... so I am a very happy camper!

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

Which item qualifies for the discount? I got the email and have the Souks basket (freebie) in my history, along with something called Kingdom of Marrakesh Seat (possibly bought, along with some Marrakesh clothing items. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    Which item qualifies for the discount? I got the email and have the Souks basket (freebie) in my history, along with something called Kingdom of Marrakesh Seat (possibly bought, along with some Marrakesh clothing items. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Same for me...