Flat surfaces anomalies?

ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
edited November 2012 in Carrara Discussion

Does anyone know what causes flat surfaces to have light area like the one in between the windows on the front left side of the corner house? If you look closely, you can see a dark area below the windows on the wall texture.

I modeled the houses in sketchup and exported them as obj's and then imported the obj into Carrara 8.1 pro as well as Carrara 8.5

Carrara is up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Post edited by ckalan1 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Geometry problem...it can be a flipped normal, but more often there's an extra vertex, an 'n-gon' (more than four sided polygon) or a single vertex out alignment. Often they can show up when changing between tris and quads and back again.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I checked out the model and it did not have any of the scenarios you described. However, your insights gave me an idea.

I discovered that it happens when I convert the object from a facet mesh model into a vertex model.

Or if I import the obj as Vertex Primitive.

I am going to test Maya and see how it imports an obj and see if it is a Carrara thing or a thing with the modeling I am doing in Sketch up.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Craig

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I would also check the lighting. Could be a shadow or some other similar artifact due to light placement.