Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    A little paradise

Very nice paradise. It looks detailed enough to be rendered much larger.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2012

@GussNemo thank you, I've been working with objects and single light sources trying to become more famliar with the Bryce lighting system.

@Horo raydepth is 128 premium render 64rpp soft shadows turned on.

I've noticed some odd behavior with lights and shadows that seems to occur if you turn off abience in sky-fog, that looks like objects don't cast shadows anymore.

Here with Ambience turned off followd by ambience on

ambience-on2.jpg
    877 x 437 - 113K
    ambience-on.jpg
    669 x 517 - 44K
    ambience-off2.jpg
    877 x 437 - 163K
    ambience-off.jpg
    711 x 520 - 55K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rareth, the global ambiance control (on the sky & fog shelf) also doubles as a control for the shadow intensity. So switching off the ambiance control as you put it, effectively switches off global shadow casting for all direct light sources. The controls this control relates to are seen in the first tab of the sky lab. You will find a colour swatch for ambiance (global) and a shadow intensity control under the sun (above soft shadows) although this control is under the sun it is in fact the global control for all direct lighting shadow intensities - harking back to simpler times when the Bryce sun was usually the only light source in a scene.

In the mean time, not getting on with any useful work myself, I've been lured into exotic lighting experiments. Or rather obscure lighting experiments. I hereby dub these, "obscure lights". Since I am fairly confident that this is the first time this approach as been taken, I will invent a name for them. They are an extension of "gel lights". Which in turn are an extension of the TA optimised lighting system added by our man Vasily at the behest of the Steering Committee. They also take advantage of "Light from Inside HDRI feature" which is about as obscure as it is possible to get in term of Bryce lighting - hence the name.

Be warned, you need to be a pretty big fan of listing to me wibble on about lighting and watching me noodle around in Bryce to get anything from the video.

Len - I offer you no choice in the matter (but of course you do have a choice, I'm just not offering you one), you've got to watch this video - it should be of special interest to you. Since it is a means by which very good global light simulation can be achieved in Bryce within decidedly tricky lighting environments.

Bryce 30 minute lighting project - obscure lighting experiment - a video by David Brinnen

Obscure_light1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Rareth, the global ambiance control (on the sky & fog shelf) also doubles as a control for the shadow intensity. So switching off the ambiance control as you put it, effectively switches off global shadow casting for all direct light sources. The controls this control relates to are seen in the first tab of the sky lab. You will find a colour swatch for ambiance (global) and a shadow intensity control under the sun (above soft shadows) although this control is under the sun it is in fact the global control for all direct lighting shadow intensities - harking back to simpler times when the Bryce sun was usually the only light source in a scene.

ok that makes sense, will play around with it some more, thanks for the explaination

edited November 2012

A slightly more interesting subject rendered with obscure light.

Obscure_light2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 127K
    Obscure_light1_2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 141K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

Horo said:
    Roland4 said:
    A little paradise

Very nice paradise. It looks detailed enough to be rendered much larger.

Thank´s. I have a big problem with this picture. If i try to fill the terrain in the background with grass or other things (with the instancelab) Bryce crash. Sometime Bryce crash if i try to load the scene.

I have a new PC. Intel I5 2500 K - 8 GB Memory - NVIDIA GTX 550 TI with 3 GB memory - win 7 64 bit

What is the problem ?

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

The problem is that Bryce is a 32bit app and as that restricted to 2GB of Memory.
    You can make it Large adress aware to use 3GB :
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

• digitalis2digitalis2 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I am lately rendering in Bryce 7 Pro again.
    The render I post here is all Bryce except the terrains (GeoControl) and the person (own photowork).
    You'll find more work in the Renderosity Bryce gallery.
    Comments are always welcome.

Kind regards.

strata3.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 420K
    edited November 2012

Kerya said:
    The problem is that Bryce is a 32bit app and as that restricted to 2GB of Memory.
    You can make it Large adress aware to use 3GB :
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Thank´s. I have try it and it seems that it's better now, but it look´s not good with the grass. The picture look´s better if i take the premium effect with soft shadow and depth of field and higher Rays per pixel (64) + light boost without fog.

LittleParadise2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 340K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
    edited December 1969

The same, a little bigger (1500x1000)

LittleParadise2big.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    The same, a little bigger (1500x1000)

That looks incredible

edited December 1969

more playing around with Bryce, with some DAZ imports thrown in.

HiresTerain3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 809K
    edited December 1969

Here's the how to without the theory Bryce 5 minute lighting project - how to set up "obscure" lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen Five minutes of your time... and some more of your CPU's is all you require. Bearing in mind that you already have a version of the HDRI shown in your content supplied by Horo that you got with Bryce 7.1 Pro! Know your content? Bryce Content PDF by Horo

Start_for_obscure2.jpg
    1244 x 700 - 392K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited November 2012

@eireann: That's a real neat looking image. Reminds me of the rifling inside a gun barrel.

@Roland: Little Paradise is very nice, though I think the bars are more distinguishable in the first image than the others. I don't see bars in the other images, just black lines. Perhaps adjusting the color, adding a bit of blue will give them a more bar look. Or lightening the background color. Still, all of them look great.

@David: Anyone whose watch any number of your tutorials are used to your wibbling and noodling. It's part of the reason they are good. I'll have to watch your two new videos when I've time because the newest images are marvelous.

Friends on another site I frequent, suggested I put my pumpkins on a set of steps. I'm sure they had house steps in mind, which I didn't think would look good sitting by themselves. These type steps would look great against the side of a house, with a door and maybe side windows. Something for another time.

Instead, I decided the steps would be as you see in this image. An expanded, and flattened cube, cylinders to cut the cove, and cylinders to cut the flutes. I first tried to use HDRI lighting, but realized I didn't know enough about setting it up to produce something acceptable. I'll have to go back over the HDRI tutorials. So I stayed with TA lighting, a fiddled with wood texture on the infinite plain, and on the shelves and spindles.

As usual, comments and suggestions are gladly welcomed. By the way, in checking this post after submission, I saw the image can be enlarged and looks so much better.

Three_Shelves_and_Shelf_Supports_6.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

A secret place.

SecretPlace1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 483K
    edited December 1969

Nice work Jamie, Roland. Here's my offering just for a bit of fun. A mix and match combination of TA effects and reflection. Fireflies are intended. In fact were encouraged by me.

Walled_city2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 832K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Digitalis...very nice render and sense of scale with the man. I don’t like the layering in the rocks - the geology looks too perfect, but the protruding rock effects coming out of the layered rocks is great as it adds to the 3D effect.

Roland...wonderful use of light effects (volumetrically done, I suppose?). The circular pit area looks odd – wonder would giving the edges (where the water/sand meet the main rocks) an additional piece of terrain, or small rocks attached, so as to take away from the near-circular look to the edge?

Jay

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here's the how to without the theory Bryce 5 minute lighting project - how to set up "obscure" lighting - a tutorial by David Brinnen Five minutes of your time... and some more of your CPU's is all you require. Bearing in mind that you already have a version of the HDRI shown in your content supplied by Horo that you got with Bryce 7.1 Pro! Know your content? Bryce Content PDF by Horo

David, your renders all look so good while I am still exploring the wonders of wings with more wacky shapes, Somehow I still cant the lighting right to make it look as realistic as yours.
    cube3.JPG
    1268 x 957 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Interesting Wings shape. Post me your scene (if it is small enough) and I'll make a video of how to go about relighting it.

edited December 1969

Interesting Wings shape. Post me your scene (if it is small enough) and I'll make a video of how to go about relighting it.
    I put Horos lake pic in and it became shinier.
    cube3a.JPG
    1272 x 952 - 258K
    edited December 1969

That's good. When you have mostly reflective objects in a scene you can get away by just using a nice HDRI backdrop to give an impression of complex lighting. If you use mat materials, then it is time to invest in more advanced methods.

edited December 1969

That's good. When you have mostly reflective objects in a scene you can get away by just using a nice HDRI backdrop to give an impression of complex lighting. If you use mat materials, then it is time to invest in more advanced methods.Yes, I think its time for me to learn more about materials.
    After all materials probably play the most important role in getting a nice looking pic out of any 3D program.

BTW: I sent you the shape per e-mail.

edited December 1969

Here is the Hi-res terrain (sans dragon) I adjusted the composition a bit to make the moon more prominent.
    looks like an alien landscape.

HiresTerain4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 790K
    edited December 1969

OK, I dont really like doing landscapes but here a first attempt since you are talking about alien worlds. LOL

mars.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 194K
    edited December 1969

Jay, is it better now ?

SecretPlace2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 391K
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Jay, is it better now ?

it looks alot more natural, I like it

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited November 2012

@David: Thanks David. That's a very interesting image you created. It's really interesting how the light makes it look really busy.

@Roland: That's a nice secret place. Love the results of the trees. The center gives me question in that the left half is colored and because of the intense light the right half is washed out. Was this intentional? The light rays look very good as well.

@eireann: Love the intricate cubes you made with Wings. Even better the results when rendered in Bryce. You may not have obtained the results you were after in the first image, but I think it looks very nice. The touch of purple(?) and the hint of shadows is very pleasing. And the shiny affect in the second image is wonderful, even though it might not be what you were after. They're both very nice. I also like your alien landscape. Almost looks like someone dusted it with powdered sugar. You sure this isn't a close up of a ginger bread cookie?

@Rareth: Those the mountains are rather dark, I like the way you've done the sky. With the moon(?) as large as it is. Real nice.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited November 2012

Roland4 said:
    Jay, is it better now ?

I was going to make the same observation that Jay did but when I saw his post I decided not to but I would say it looks better now. Before it just looked too perfectly round to be a believable place in nature.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Nice work Jamie, Roland. Here's my offering just for a bit of fun. A mix and match combination of TA effects and reflection. Fireflies are intended. In fact were encouraged by me.

Looks like a targetting laser for a DeathStar strike. :)

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Roland: That's a nice secret place. Love the results of the trees. The center gives me question in that the left half is colored and because of the intense light the right half is washed out. Was this intentional? The light rays look very good as well.

Thanks, There is a light in the background and i think the position is not good.

This discussion has been closed.