Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

As per a suggestion from eireann.sg 4 minute Wings 3D project - a quick look at Shell Extrude - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Nice work Roland4, I too like your choice of composition.

Thank you mermaid010. Yes it is nice of DAZ 3D to give away so much of their software for free - something folks in some other threads would do well to remember when they wish to become overly harsh with them.

Forest_Path_asd1+wings_escube1+fc1.jpg
    750 x 563 - 293K
  • FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Final Image of my first Sunset.

If I've time I'll upload higher resolution to devart.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Tst6-34-3.jpg
    600 x 849 - 239K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Wow all those shell extrude renders are just fantastic, I don't use Wings 3d I guess I should look into it, I was a truespace user from long time back, but I've switched to Carrara and Hexagon since Microsoft shutdown Caligari.

anyway, I've gone back to try some simple lighting scenes, and doing some of the turtorials on the Bryce Tutorials site.

In-Jail.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 484K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

David - In looking through this thread and the first, I've seen several variations on this image - I've combed these threads and looked in the brycetutorials.info site, but I can't seem to locate the tutorial for it. I believe it was about importing a Wings3D object into Bryce.

Could you post a link? (or another link, for those of us who can't see, LOL)?

Thanks,

joe

This one?

8 minute Wings3D project - two part box - a tutorial by David Brinnen

That's it - Thanks!

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the nice comments on my previous pic. Here's a couple that I wanted share. I hope you like them.
    ~M.

Reflected.png
    1114 x 829 - 975K
    Notouchit.png
    1114 x 829 - 1M
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

mermaid010, you asked "Why don’t you do some for beginners, most of your videos are for intermediate or advance Brycers."

The answer to that is that there are 100's possibly 1000's of tutorials for beginners already made - and a lot them can be accessed through the Bryce-Tutorials.info website. So to make more would be "reinventing the wheel". What I want to cover, mostly, is tutorials that take advantage of as yet undocumented Bryce 7.1 Pro features. Tutorials that provide information that isn't available anywhere else and to promote the use of the new feature set.

Perhaps a nice thing you and Horo could do is go thru at sometime and review the more beginner oriented tutorials on your site and come up with a group of those beginner tutorials that form a comprehensive base of knowledge from which a beginner might move from beginner to intermediate. That way rather then just saying you don't really do beginner level tutorials you could point people to this group of "reccommended" tutorials?

On a different note, there is something I've been meaning to ask if you could do sometime but I keep forgetting. In the Pro Materials that come with Bryce 7 Pro are a number of libraries named with a three letter prefix followed by your name such as Mop_davidbrinnen, Org_davidbrinnen, Pal_davidbrinnen, for examples. I've included a picture below that shows what I'm talking about. Each of these libraries contain a fair number of materials but the descriptions all read like Mop Varient followed by www.davidbrinnen.com. Now the reason I mention just these libraries and not all of the libraries in the Pro Materials section is because these libraries with the 3 letter prefix followed by your name all lack something the others do not. They lack a name and/or description that give you some clue as to what the material is and/or how to best use it. All the other libraries contain materials whose name makes it clear what the material is for and/or a description that gives useful tips on using the material. What I'm asking is, would you consider producing a list of names and descriptions for these libraries and materials so that one could get a sense of if a particular material would work for something they're working on without having to go thru and keep trying random materials hoping one might work for them? I think if you did and then made that list available to people or even better yet apply the names and descriptions in an update of the installer containing the pro materials, it would help the users to start making better use of those materials. I suspect that largely those materials get skipped over because people don't know what they are or what to use them for and they don't want to bother with radomly plugging materials in to try to figure them out.

For the tutorials there will be a rating system on the website to allow for peer review. Another reason that I don't do beginner tutorials is because I'm not really in a position to judge what is the most appropriate thing for a beginner to know is (though it is kind of you think that I am). However I am self taught, and for a year or more all I had was the Bryce 5 manual and Bryce 5 - the internet was yet to arrive in our town. I did the tutorials in the manual and then started making stuff up. I spent a lot of that time just fiddling with the DTE - if I had had access to the tutorials on line, I might have taken more of an interest in modelling, or making scenes. I don't know if that would be better or not. So what I'm saying is, my perspective is rather biased. Judgements made by beginners will be of more value since beginners will know what can drive them forwards with enthusiasm in their hobby.

As for the materials... well if you'd have asked me this in 2005 when I gave them to DAZ 3D, then I would have known what to say. But somehow they got lost in the system and have only resurfaced recently (I believe the disparity between "DAZ time" and time as we experience it in every day life has already been discussed elsewhere - so I hardly need to labour the point here). But after all this time (real time), even I don't know what they are all for. Probably the best thing I can do, is make a tutorial about how to go about assessing what a material might be useful for by looking at the material properties. This then will not only solve the issue of the mysterious materials, but it will solve the issue of future mysterious materials. And it will be an interesting thing to do and it will be something new - newer than seven years ago! I could also cover what to do to go about updating them to include modern features. Maybe I will make a tutorial for each set. That should cover a lot of options. How does that sound?

@David this is subject close to my heart, many times I have sifted threw countless mats to get one that may or may not work I am all for an update on these wonderful mats that get neglected simply because i am never sure what ones to use ..........tutorial.........YES PLEASE

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

As per a suggestion from eireann.sg 4 minute Wings 3D project - a quick look at Shell Extrude - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Thank you mermaid010. Yes it is nice of DAZ 3D to give away so much of their software for free - something folks in some other threads would do well to remember when they wish to become overly harsh with them.

super render :-)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've been working on some packaging for a range of tapes.
    Sadly I can't post the finished designs (at least until it hits the shops), but here is the initial model I built in Bryce to map the design on to.

Bonding-Tape-Pack.jpg
    800 x 620 - 179K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

mermaid010, you asked "Why don’t you do some for beginners, most of your videos are for intermediate or advance Brycers."

The answer to that is that there are 100's possibly 1000's of tutorials for beginners already made - and a lot them can be accessed through the Bryce-Tutorials.info website. So to make more would be "reinventing the wheel". What I want to cover, mostly, is tutorials that take advantage of as yet undocumented Bryce 7.1 Pro features. Tutorials that provide information that isn't available anywhere else and to promote the use of the new feature set.

Perhaps a nice thing you and Horo could do is go thru at sometime and review the more beginner oriented tutorials on your site and come up with a group of those beginner tutorials that form a comprehensive base of knowledge from which a beginner might move from beginner to intermediate. That way rather then just saying you don't really do beginner level tutorials you could point people to this group of "reccommended" tutorials?

On a different note, there is something I've been meaning to ask if you could do sometime but I keep forgetting. In the Pro Materials that come with Bryce 7 Pro are a number of libraries named with a three letter prefix followed by your name such as Mop_davidbrinnen, Org_davidbrinnen, Pal_davidbrinnen, for examples. I've included a picture below that shows what I'm talking about. Each of these libraries contain a fair number of materials but the descriptions all read like Mop Varient followed by www.davidbrinnen.com. Now the reason I mention just these libraries and not all of the libraries in the Pro Materials section is because these libraries with the 3 letter prefix followed by your name all lack something the others do not. They lack a name and/or description that give you some clue as to what the material is and/or how to best use it. All the other libraries contain materials whose name makes it clear what the material is for and/or a description that gives useful tips on using the material. What I'm asking is, would you consider producing a list of names and descriptions for these libraries and materials so that one could get a sense of if a particular material would work for something they're working on without having to go thru and keep trying random materials hoping one might work for them? I think if you did and then made that list available to people or even better yet apply the names and descriptions in an update of the installer containing the pro materials, it would help the users to start making better use of those materials. I suspect that largely those materials get skipped over because people don't know what they are or what to use them for and they don't want to bother with radomly plugging materials in to try to figure them out.

For the tutorials there will be a rating system on the website to allow for peer review. Another reason that I don't do beginner tutorials is because I'm not really in a position to judge what is the most appropriate thing for a beginner to know is (though it is kind of you think that I am). However I am self taught, and for a year or more all I had was the Bryce 5 manual and Bryce 5 - the internet was yet to arrive in our town. I did the tutorials in the manual and then started making stuff up. I spent a lot of that time just fiddling with the DTE - if I had had access to the tutorials on line, I might have taken more of an interest in modelling, or making scenes. I don't know if that would be better or not. So what I'm saying is, my perspective is rather biased. Judgements made by beginners will be of more value since beginners will know what can drive them forwards with enthusiasm in their hobby.

As for the materials... well if you'd have asked me this in 2005 when I gave them to DAZ 3D, then I would have known what to say. But somehow they got lost in the system and have only resurfaced recently (I believe the disparity between "DAZ time" and time as we experience it in every day life has already been discussed elsewhere - so I hardly need to labour the point here). But after all this time (real time), even I don't know what they are all for. Probably the best thing I can do, is make a tutorial about how to go about assessing what a material might be useful for by looking at the material properties. This then will not only solve the issue of the mysterious materials, but it will solve the issue of future mysterious materials. And it will be an interesting thing to do and it will be something new - newer than seven years ago! I could also cover what to do to go about updating them to include modern features. Maybe I will make a tutorial for each set. That should cover a lot of options. How does that sound?

Sounds fine in theory any way, I was rather hoping though that you had ready access to some sort of information about what these sets were for. Some you can maybe get a hint from the 3 letter code at the beginning like org could be for organic, met could be for metal. I was hoping the url would provide some clue but alas it just reveals a blank page that talks about your affinity with Bryce and how you make tutorials. All that does is make me wonder if perhaps at the time of their creation you were envisioning tutorials that might make use of those materials?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Nice modelling Dave,

Mark. It is true I need to do something about my website, since I lost the gallery when the web server was moved I was going to try and learn one of the wizzywig web page editors - but never had the time or inclination - since then the web server has been moved again and there is Wordpress. I should look at that.

As for the materials, I have made a lot with no particular aim. I can however, show you how to examine a material and find out what it could be used for and where changes could be made to make it compatible with the new lighting methods. Which is the direction everyone needs to go in anyway. Not just thinking about content and rendering, but considering the ways in which the two interact. Gone is the time when any material could be just dropped into a scene and it be expected to look just right, that was possible before within the limitations of Bryce's original basic lighting environments. For example, introduction of a HDRI backdrop can change the characteristics of a material significantly.

Example_scene_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 186K
    Example_scene_0.jpg
    500 x 650 - 155K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@David - enjoyed the tutorial. Very nice blending of object and HDRI backdrop.

@Fhalo - sunset scene turned out nicely.

@Rareth - I know that tutorial, very good.

@mx42b - nice renders. Good use of mirrors in the second one.

@TheSavage64 - models are nicely done.

edited December 1969

Bryce Pro7 mats obj's, Daz Pro 4 Model no post manipulation "unattainable devotion"

Its not a mirror reflection there are subtle differences, the background colors are reflections from a sky that i created then bounced off the floor plane onto a background warped sphere

unattainable_devotion_res.jpg
    1200 x 1000 - 925K
    edited November 2012

Nice modelling Dave,

Mark. It is true I need to do something about my website, since I lost the gallery when the web server was moved I was going to try and learn one of the wizzywig web page editors - but never had the time or inclination - since then the web server has been moved again and there is Wordpress. I should look at that.

As for the materials, I have made a lot with no particular aim. I can however, show you how to examine a material and find out what it could be used for and where changes could be made to make it compatible with the new lighting methods. Which is the direction everyone needs to go in anyway. Not just thinking about content and rendering, but considering the ways in which the two interact. Gone is the time when any material could be just dropped into a scene and it be expected to look just right, that was possible before within the limitations of Bryce's original basic lighting environments. For example, introduction of a HDRI backdrop can change the characteristics of a material significantly.

@ David the mats are beautiful and shiny gorgeous in fact

Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

@ another great tut on wings thanks David

edited December 1969

Fhalo said:
    Final Image of my first Sunset.

If I've time I'll upload higher resolution to devart.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions

@ Fhalo excellent render great reflections
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Wow all those shell extrude renders are just fantastic, I don't use Wings 3d I guess I should look into it, I was a truespace user from long time back, but I've switched to Carrara and Hexagon since Microsoft shutdown Caligari.

anyway, I've gone back to try some simple lighting scenes, and doing some of the turtorials on the Bryce Tutorials site.

@Rareth amazing composition
    edited December 1969

mx42b said:
    Thank you all for the nice comments on my previous pic. Here's a couple that I wanted share. I hope you like them.
    ~M.
    @mx42b beautifully done and love the re occurring reflections excellent render
    edited November 2012

Nice modelling Dave,

Now that would be a handy tutorial, I tend to be hit or miss with materials in bryce especially once I start playing with the DTE, those pic really do show the difference lighting makes on a material. I've gone an purchased the HDRI Handbook, and Digital Lighting and Rendering in E format off Amazon so I can get a better understanding of lighting and how it interacts within a scene.

also
    @Fhalo nice sunset, love the reflections

@mx42b wow that looks great, render turned out really good.

@TheSavage64 nice clean models, well done

@silverdali another great render

I also need to dust off my modeling skills as they've gotten rusty, and for the life of me I can't remember how I did this in Hexagon

TrackTexgtureTest.jpg
    640 x 480 - 73K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Bryce Pro7 mats obj's, Daz Pro 4 Model no post manipulation "unattainable devotion"

Its not a mirror reflection there are subtle differences, the background colors are reflections from a sky that i created then bounced off the floor plane onto a background warped sphere

Beautiful! Your style, all is silvery. I like the rather low saturated colours.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree with Horo, It is beautiful has an Art Deco look to it, was that the look you were going for.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Trying here to simulate aurora...but don’t know if successful, though? I’m not sure if there is an aurora sky available in Bryce - tried and couldn’t find one. Open to correction, of course.

Used a normal Bryce sky here, then copied in another sky plane, gave it a different sky material, rotated that plane by 90 degrees, rotated it again horizontally (~ 40 to 50 degrees), and from there several adjustments afterwards. Added in a false sun and some stars (spheres etc.,) to give it additional effect. Small project really, so not much work put into it. However, called it!

Title: ‘Aurora’

Jay

Aurora.jpg
    1750 x 866 - 528K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

David did do a tut on making (or faking) an aurora I guess it is probably lost somewhere on the old forum now.

edited December 1969

ok here is something I call Reflections.

Reflections.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 378K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: Reflections is a really interesting image. A reflection within a reflection within a reflection. Really interesting.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Some pipes, some water and some reflections.

theeye1024.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 261K
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - aurora doesn't look too bad. There are so many different ones that it is not easy to tell whether yours looks natural or not. Nice try in any case.

@Rareth - yes, mirrors in mirrors is always fascinating. You had to set Maximum Ray Depth quite high. Difficult to count but from the size of the black spot it must be around 100.

@eireann.sg - looks nice, like a luxury sewer :)

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A little paradise

LittleParadise.jpg
    750 x 500 - 98K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Trying here to simulate aurora...but don’t know if successful, though? I’m not sure if there is an aurora sky available in Bryce - tried and couldn’t find one. Open to correction, of course.

Used a normal Bryce sky here, then copied in another sky plane, gave it a different sky material, rotated that plane by 90 degrees, rotated it again horizontally (~ 40 to 50 degrees), and from there several adjustments afterwards. Added in a false sun and some stars (spheres etc.,) to give it additional effect. Small project really, so not much work put into it. However, called it!

Title: ‘Aurora’

Jay

Well considering Auroras tend to be dynamic I say that is a reasonably convicing shot of a moment from within that dynamic if you get what I mean? I think your doubt comes from it feeling like it's missing something and I think that something is the movement.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

There is an Aurora Borealis material in the Pro Materials (I think it's in with the Plasmas). Apply it to a plane.
    I've played with it a few times but lighting it correctly and getting the frequency right for each particular scene is tricky... So tricky that I've never managed to get anything worth posting. :)
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Chohole...many thanks – found the thread here. Will have to read it through.

Rareth...reminds me of i-Robot – remember that scene where all the robs’ are lined up. Fantastic film, too.

Eireann...looks like the inside of one of those sunbeds...without the water, of course ;)

Roland4...hahaaa...good one – I like your sense of humour :)

Horo...ah yes, I had in mind one of those curtain-types, but couldn’t achieve in my limited experience in Bryce.

Lord...yeah...get your dynamic ;) I would love to see an aurora before I kick the bucket – fingers crossed ;)

Savage...oh, didn’t see that. Just checked it out now. It’s the last one in Pro-Materials/Sfx...but can see, as you say, it would be a tricky one to work with. But will give it a try. Thanks once again

Jay

This discussion has been closed.