Autofollow...what use is it

mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
edited November 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Yeah, what use is it, if by default, it's 'off' when you save something new?

I have created a number of sculpted FBMs recently, and have been having a terrible time with clothing them. Last night, I cracked open the FBMBasicChild.dsf to look at how the scaling was handled (which is another gripe...but a minor one). And discovered that, AutoFollow was set to True. So, I went and hand edited the dsf files for several of my FBMs, to include the AutoFollow option (not even written with the default Morph Asset save). Then I restarted DS and much to my surprise, my sculpted FBMs are now wearing their clothes without having to do all sorts of things to the clothes...like add in 'custom morphs', up collision or smoothing iterations to well above 10 and so on...

I can understand that AutoFollow is giving fits for certain items (like hair), but can't we have a check box in the Save dialog, to turn it on for some things (like FBMs), instead of having to hand edit it in?

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi mjc...

If you Right click on the morph in the Property Editor, in the context menu, you can set Auto-Follow on or off... I believe it's under Settings, but I'm at work ATM so I can't check for sure... You might also be able to set it from the gear cog for the morph in the Parameters pane, but I don't recall...

nicci... :)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Learn to use the program to do the work rather than trying to do it all externally, after all the tools are all there waiting on you.

If it's just a single morph I'm editing then I just use the Parameters tab, I can change the path so the morph appears somewhere else in both the Shaping tab & Parameters tab, I can change the limits, the dial color, the content type and even turn on/off auto follow, then it's a simple "save modified assets".
    You can also do all of that seconds after importing an MT using either the bridges or morphloader, that way everything is set how you want it before you save the "morph asset".

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

Bejaymac said:
    Learn to use the program to do the work rather than trying to do it all externally, after all the tools are all there waiting on you.

If it's just a single morph I'm editing then I just use the Parameters tab, I can change the path so the morph appears somewhere else in both the Shaping tab & Parameters tab, I can change the limits, the dial color, the content type and even turn on/off auto follow, then it's a simple "save modified assets".
    You can also do all of that seconds after importing an MT using either the bridges or morphloader, that way everything is set how you want it before you save the "morph asset".

My point...yes, going through the property editor it can be done, but why not have a check box when saving? That way, you can set it with the initial save, withouyt having to hunt them down.

I did them by hand, because I ended up doing 9 of them in a row, instead of editing then using the Property Editor.

Also, there are those who don't like/use Hexagon (and I'm one who finds Hex as 'annoying' as many find Blender), so until there is a Blender bridge all the bridges are pretty much worthless (don't have and aren't going to be shelling out $700 for Zbrush either...).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I did them by hand, because I ended up doing 9 of them in a row, instead of editing then using the Property Editor. You do know that you can batch edit with the PE (see pic), Shift+Left click to select a pile of them or Ctrl+Left click to be selective.

Also, there are those who don't like/use Hexagon (and I'm one who finds Hex as 'annoying' as many find Blender), so until there is a Blender bridge all the bridges are pretty much worthless (don't have and aren't going to be shelling out $700 for Zbrush either...).

Has that plugin been updated yet or is it still creating DSF files to the early DS4.0 standard (JSON rather than DSON), if it has been updated has he added the presentation and the modifier type to it's functions.
    PE_Batch.jpg
    757 x 693 - 449K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    mjc1016 said:
    I did them by hand, because I ended up doing 9 of them in a row, instead of editing then using the Property Editor. You do know that you can batch edit with the PE (see pic), Shift+Left click to select a pile of them or Ctrl+Left click to be selective.

Has that plugin been updated yet or is it still creating DSF files to the early DS4.0 standard (JSON rather than DSON), if it has been updated has he added the presentation and the modifier type to it's functions.

Dang it...take all my steam away...I had forgotten completely about batch mode. But I still say a check box would be nice (easier...).

And no, not last I checked, but I worked out a work flow that works fairly well. There is one 'load' where the morph loads perfectly and works...just save it then. After that save, go ahead and delete the 'original'. That save 'rewrites' it into the 4.5 format with everything correctly laid out. From then on, it's just like any other morph file.

Anyway, Kwrite (Linux, KDE native text editor...think Notepad++ with even more features...like seamless editing of compressed files) works very well for manually editing. It even has a json predefined layout, so everything is formatted and nice and pretty when editing...in some ways, I actually prefer using it to editing with the DS included tools (at least in it I can change the font and do very easy find/replace operations).

edited December 1969

*Chuckle* wait until you have to do that with a couple of hundred morphs like I did, the text editor got dropped very quickly in favour of the Property Editor.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

You do know that you can batch edit with the PE (see pic), Shift+Left click to select a pile of them or Ctrl+Left click to be selective

Wow !!! that tip rocks !! I was sad doing all one by one...

Thanks Bejaymac