Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Odd. Some reason it just wouldn't work on my morphed up genesis character :S I'll try it again when I'm done with the hair style, and see if it was just some random glitch.

Edit in response to your edit: yeah lol i suddenly realized there was a menu bar with undo lmao

Ctrl-Z also works I believe.
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Well...it's at Bronze.

Well I guess that's progress... Seems bizzare that the paint workspace doesn't work but all rest do...

I've been doing some work on reducing the system requirements that that will continue over the next weeks that will start to be visible in future beta versions...
    This might help your Linux WINE setup or might not.

I'll be starting work on a real Linux port straight after the IRIX port...

edited December 1969

foleypro said:

I am talking about actual Presets of the hair nodes aka mesh...?

Intergrating into the daz studio content system is on the list of things to look into when things are a bit more polished...

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2012

Gone said:

There also seems to be a problem with starting the paint in that nothing will happen until you "jiggle" the image first.

Yep, that's what Kerya mentioned and I have the same thing. Thought it was my computer or mouse till she mentioned it.

Nice renders, Kerya, MD, gone & gensi!

I'm working on a few (one in particular that I've changed a few times) and that I'll try to post later today if I can get it like I want and get it rendered.

Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

It's the brows man! :lol:

GaribaldiEyebrow.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 570K
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

The 32 bit version works quite fine, even though it's "not recommended" =) Haven't yet had the time to produce any renders worth posting!

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I had the same issue as Spyro with Beta.4 with the paint going everywhere on a morphed genesis. Will go back to the same scene with .5 and see if it still happens.

edited December 1969

gensi said:

Here's my attempt at it.
    Now just have to learn how to use texture maps in it, or how to use them at all.

Looks great... I look forward to seeing them with custom colour maps.
    Did you start these hair styles from scratch?
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I'm having some weirdness happening... And I'm only in the paint section lol
    Am I doing something wrong? When I paint, the paint goes all over the place :S

Looks like something has gone wrong to do with the UVs...
    Have you pressed the update geometry button in the setup workspace after applying a different UV set (or applying a texture)?
    I realised that in beta 5 I've updated the daz viewport/rendering to surport changing UV maps but not the update button.
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    There also seems to be a problem with starting the paint in that nothing will happen until you "jiggle" the image first.

The paint workspace is going to to get a good looking at some point over the next few weeks. This will be fixed as well as improved speed and better quality output.
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the "good job" folks.
    :cheese:

Futurebiscuit,

I did start them from scratch, (you should see my first attempts, sheesh), though I have to admit, I copied your
    lighting system. Apparently, lol lighting is important.

gensi

• edited December 1969

Gone said:
    It's the brows man! :lol:

Heehee,

I'm wanting to try all kinds of facial hair now.

• edited December 1969

Gone said:

The paint workspace is going to to get a good looking at some point over the next few weeks. This will be fixed as well as improved speed and better quality output.

Futurebiscuit,

When you work on it, is there a way to be able to access the paint that gets into the "creases" like inside the ears,
    That's where a lot of my wild hairs are coming from. I can see the paint, but no matter how close I get to it, I can't
    erase it. Maybe, I'm not getting a setting right?

gensi

• edited December 1969

Spyro, I am pretty sure I have painted on a morphed genesis as well... although I am not doing much painting at all now as I have sevral saved maps I keep importing.

here is a male Garibaldi :)

The facial hair is part of the texture! (Jaime)

That looks really good. Did you do the eyebrows too?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

gensi said:
    Gone said:

Futurebiscuit,

When you work on it, is there a way to be able to access the paint that gets into the "creases" like inside the ears,
    That's where a lot of my wild hairs are coming from. I can see the paint, but no matter how close I get to it, I can't

gensi

You have to set the brush to zero and paint those parts (yes, ears are difficult!) black.
    Sometimes it's useful to do a headover and go at them from the inside of the head.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I think I may have narrowed down some of the paint problem.

If you use a textured character where the texture has more than one UV map applied, then the paint does not work. For example, I used the Dryden textures and paint did not work. Dryden uses the M4 UV map. Other M4 textures did work however. When I checked all the surfaces in the Dryden set, it turns out that Dryden uses the V4 map for the tear material zone. I changed this to M4 and paint worked just fine. I tested this idea with a number of texture sets and, in every case, if I changed even one material zone to a different map then paint would not work but did work if all the material zones used the same UV map.

On the other hand, if I change the character pose and update it in Garibaldi using the "update surfacees" button, then any existing nodes will no longer paint properly but new nodes will.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited November 2012

what about dynamic hair with gravity and collisions?
    that's what we need...
    but, it's a start.
    it actually almost look the same as the other LAHM plugin.
    the first one that can give me real good dynamics is sold.

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

how do you access the Garibaldi menu?

all i get is Create > New Garibaldi hair.

and then a new prop appear in the scene.

test.jpg
    1318 x 834 - 75K
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:

Then go to Edit > Edit Garibaldi

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    that's what we need...
    but, it's a start.
    it actually almost look the same as the other LAHM plugin.
    the first one that can give me real good dynamics is sold.

With curve based hair, dynamics/gravity aren't as difficult to get as with object based hair...but you still need a worklng physics engine to do it, so I say that's what's needed, first.

• edited November 2012

You have to set the brush to zero and paint those parts (yes, ears are difficult!) black.
    Sometimes it's useful to do a headover and go at them from the inside of the head.

Right, I have done the erasing with the brush at zero. I've also tried to paint inside the head, that didn't seem to work.

I'll try it again to see if I was just too impatient. Thanks Kerya. :-)

Edit:

Hmmm I must be doing something wrong, I can't erase the paint from inside the head. :-S

Post edited by gensi1_a428e67b3d on
    edited December 1969

gensi said:

Try turning off the following switches:
    Backface Culling (Do not paint on reverse side of the surface).
    Occlusion Culling (Do not paint on surface overlaped by other surface).
    Hope that helps...
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

If you use a textured character where the texture has more than one UV map applied, then the paint does not work. For example, I used the Dryden textures and paint did not work. Dryden uses the M4 UV map. Other M4 textures did work however. When I checked all the surfaces in the Dryden set, it turns out that Dryden uses the V4 map for the tear material zone. I changed this to M4 and paint worked just fine. I tested this idea with a number of texture sets and, in every case, if I changed even one material zone to a different map then paint would not work but did work if all the material zones used the same UV map.

On the other hand, if I change the character pose and update it in Garibaldi using the "update surfacees" button, then any existing nodes will no longer paint properly but new nodes will.

Hmm... I think I know whats going on here... I'll look into fixing it to support using multiple UV sets on the same figure.
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:

To do hair dynamics 'well' it's a big project... arguably more complex than cloth simulation.

Garibaldi Express version 1 is all about concentrating about building a foundation of all the tools you need style and render realistic hair in daz studio.

If you wish to animate your character then currently the hair will 'stick' to your characters surface.
    The output will render stable and flicker free.

edited December 1969

fixme12 said:

Make sure you check out the introduction tutorial. It goes through all the basics of creating a hair render from scratch. Or use one of the provided examples as a base to work on, if you get suck on how to do things.
    edited December 1969

gensi said:
    I've also tried to paint inside the head, that didn't seem to work.

Turning off the backface culling switch should let you paint on the inside of the head.
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:

To do hair dynamics 'well' it's a big project... arguably more complex than cloth simulation.

Garibaldi Express version 1 is all about concentrating about building a foundation of all the tools you need to style and render realistic hair in daz studio.

If you wish to animate your character then currently the hair will 'stick' to your characters surface.
    The output will render stable and flicker free.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2012

I have tried a BUNCH of times to render the second image, and there are ALWAYS the same 2-4 squares (depending on the method - sprial, circular, horizontal, etc) that just will NOT render. It gets to 99% and won't finish, so I can't save as a png or anything else. Haven't a clue why this is happening or if it has ANYTHING to do with the plugin or if it's my computer. It's weird that it is the same squares every time. Tried cutting out some of the hairs in that section but it doesn't matter. I can't get these squares to render ARRRGH!!

So I did some touchup in Photoshop with the clone tool, to try to hide them

Anyway, here are my 2 attempts at the hair. Really loving it!!

garibaldi_e.jpg
    813 x 839 - 194K
    garabaldi_test_1.jpg
    603 x 781 - 128K
    Post edited by Alisa Uh-Lisa on
    edited November 2012

....It gets to 99% and won't finish...

Renders look great...
    Can you email me the scene and I'll have a look.
    Thanks
    Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

That may have been my problem. Most of my characters are all using M4 and V4 UV's except for the eyes. All of them use M5 eyes. It sucks about the UV issue. :( All my custom textures have been made for those UV's lol I never thought that the eyes would cause this problem

This discussion has been closed.