How do I turn on the Content Management Service?

2»

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited November 2012

OK, I just happened to peek in here because I've been having a few problems with my new install of DS 4.0 Pro. I haven't been able to see everything in my Content Tab, though some are showing the in Smart Content Tab (which I don't usually use), but when I try to load them I get an error message.

Now, just for the heck of it, I checked and I have the Content Management Service in BOTH places. In the ProgramData folder there's one subfolder called databases with 5 files in it. In the Program Files folder there's 5 subfolders and 15 files.

Pete, as you know from my thread in the DAZ Discussion forum, I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall, and I'm wondering if that's what caused the CMS to turn up in two places. Do you think I could just move the files and folders from the Program Files folder to the ProgramData folder, or do you think that will really mix things up even worse? I suspect that's why I'm having a problem loading things into a scene.

Now that I think about it I had, at one point, two content data folders in my old DS 2 install on the old laptop, but I was able to merge those w/o too many reprecussions. Here, the files aren't the same, but obviously need to be in just one location.

Oh, I just read Mike's question and that's what I have. The databases are in the ProgramData folder, but the executable and other files/folders are in the Program Files folder, which is strange since I don't have DS 4 installed in Program Files. Then again, some installers just do what they want, and install where they want. ~shakes head~

Anyone have any ideas as to whether my set up is correct?

Post edited by Miss B on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Nice what did you do?

I stopped the cms, then uninstalled it using the start menu.

Uninstalled DS

Ran CCleaner (4 times to get rid of all the registry entries from DS)

In the windows folder I went to both CMS folders and deleted the databases(backed them up first though) from both folders.

Then reinstalled.

I think it was Mike or Adam that suggested doing that prior to reimporting metadata, I thought it was worth doing that earlier in the process in case there was something that had been stopping the cms from working in there. If you hadn't have mentioned them I wouldn't have thought to do it. : )

So thanks for mentioning them.

Hugs

Pen(I'm doing a happy dance as I can finally play with my new stuff)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

Miss B As you may have read on the previous page I hadn't had any sleep of over 48 hours so I was talking nonsense....CMS should be in Program File and Data.

Take a look at this thread by adam http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

As for installers going where they want, they don't with me as I am firm with them and tell them where they should go....In all my 3 years doing this I have never had any issues with Installers misbehaving. I never let them look for the path I always point them with the correct path as all my content folders are on a USB HDD. The only installers that I cannot manipulate are plug-ins.

Pen great to hear...I saw your comment on Mantis...you weren't a happy camper. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Miss B As you may have read on the previous page I hadn't had any sleep of over 48 hours so I was talking nonsense....CMS should be in Program File and Data.

Take a look at this thread by adam http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8028/#105548

As for installers going where they want, they don't with me as I am firm with them and tell them where they should go....In all my 3 years doing this I have never had any issues with Installers misbehaving. I never let them look for the path I always point them with the correct path as all my content folders are on a USB HDD. The only installers that I cannot manipulate are plug-ins.

Pen great to hear...I saw your comment on Mantis...you weren't a happy camper. :)

Thanks! No I haven't been happy recently...it's been very frustrating not only with the issue of the cms not working, but also the folders it keeps setting up in categories that reappear even after deleting. I much prefer the way categories was set up in ds3. It didn't limit you as much...unfortunately it's unlikely to go back to that. I enjoy genesis too much to go back but I do find it very annoying. : (
  • Guardian Angel 671Guardian Angel 671 Posts: 213
    edited November 2012

Pendraia said:
    Szark said:
    Nice what did you do?

Uninstalled DS

In the windows folder I went to both CMS folders and deleted the databases(backed them up first though) from both folders.

Then reinstalled.

I think it was Mike or Adam that suggested doing that prior to reimporting metadata, I thought it was worth doing that earlier in the process in case there was something that had been stopping the cms from working in there. If you hadn't have mentioned them I wouldn't have thought to do it. : )

Hugs

I tried this too-my CMS is showing up again:) I'm a happy camper too lol. I still don't see CMS in my task manager but I do see content on my Smart Content tab-so I hope that means it's working lol.

Post edited by Guardian Angel 671 on
    edited December 1969

[I still don't see CMS in my task manager
    Look in the Processes part of the task manager.
    edited December 1969

unless that is in this part -I can't pull it up.this is only way that I can see my task manager.

task_manager.JPG
    437 x 773 - 99K
    edited December 1969

This thread for some reason hasn't gone my way....I am again sorry but the CMS shows in "Services". Alt+Ctrl+Delete gets you into Task Manager (just in case, covering all bases LOL).

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Szark said:
    Nice what did you do?

Uninstalled DS

Then reinstalled.

Hugs

I tried this too-my CMS is showing up again:) I'm a happy camper too lol. I still don't see CMS in my task manager but I do see content on my Smart Content tab-so I hope that means it's working lol.

Glad to hear that it helped! : )

Szark is right it should show up in the task manager under services. Which version of windows are you using?

cheers

Pen

edited December 1969

I'm using Windows 7 but that's the only part of the task manager that I can actually see. Weird isn't it.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I'm using Windows 7 but that's the only part of the task manager that I can actually see. Weird isn't it.

Umm...if you aren't seeing all of the items in TM, then there is an underlying Windows problem/possible malware infection (a number of malware items will disable TM, so you can't easily kill their process and remove them).

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited November 2012

Szark said:

Thanks for that link Pete, I've bookmarked it for now.

I usually don't have a problem with installing where I want, I only had a problem with the Darkside theme because my DS 4.0 installation wasn't correct, and for all intents and purposes, that theme would be considered a plugin of sorts, but it wasn't reading the DS installation location properly. That's all fixed now.

Oh and I figured out why I was getting the error messages when trying load things into my scene, so that's resolved as well. :-)

Post edited by Miss B on