What is "IK"?

desperadodesperado Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in New Users

Every now and then I come across a product that gives the option to turn IK on or off. What is IK? and what does it do or not do? And, is it possible to turn it on/off at will? If so, how?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Right click on the figure in the Viewport, and you can Enable or Disable IK in there.

Inverse Kinematics, this will tell you more than I ever could : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_kinematics

Just think of 'the thigh bone's connected to the knee bone ...' etc etc.

• desperadodesperado Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Thnkns for the prompt response. I'll try to make some heads or tails out of it and see if it affects anything i do. :O}

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You use this for posing. With IK and using the Active Pose Tool (Alt+Shift+P or Tools > Active Pose) if you grab the hand (hold mouse over the hand and move) the arm, shoulder etc will move with the hand. Same for any body part. You can also Pin for example the feet or foot so it doesn't move, unless you go too far then it will move when pinned.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • dawgzangdawgzang Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

This was very helpful. Is there a way to have this set as a default when you first open Daz?

edited December 1969

Good question mine is always on when I load a figure, so I think it is on at default. I just tried to turn it off via Edit > Figure > Inverse Kinematics > checked off....restarted Daz Studio and it is back on.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

I never pose my figures by, say, pulling a hand to where I want it because the whole figure then moves as well. This messes up all my careful positioning of the body. So I always pose joint by joint, using the sliders for "bend" "twist" etc.

Doesn't everyone do it that way, then?

Is there a better way of posing?

From your description, though, I can't really see how you would pose a figure using IK, since you can only drag a body part in two dimensions using a mouse (as you are moving in the plane of the screen). Or have I missed the point?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    I never pose my figures by, say, pulling a hand to where I want it because the whole figure then moves as well. This messes up all my careful positioning of the body. So I always pose joint by joint, using the sliders for "bend" "twist" etc.

Doesn't everyone do it that way, then?

Is there a better way of posing?

From your description, though, I can't really see how you would pose a figure using IK, since you can only drag a body part in two dimensions using a mouse (as you are moving in the plane of the screen). Or have I missed the point?

ZOOM.
    I spent hours doing a hand, every finger immaculate- only to discover if I turned off the body parts blocking my view so I could zoom in, I zipped right along on the second hand when compared to the first. It works on all body parts, the closer you get, the easier it is to pose (or at least for me, but I'm just a newbie.)

And I actually enjoy clicking and dragging, and seeing what happens. Sometimes I was getting better poses than what I had in mind! Happy accidents that were worthwhile to consider, lol.

edited December 1969

When using IK you can PIN a body part so it doesn't move but it will move if the pose you are making gets past the point were the pinned body parts has to move but it does work nicely. How to Pin body parts http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19414/

Generally I do the long hard way by doing it all myself bone by bone. Or I start with a pose preset that gets me close then I refine it. The is no wrong or right way just good and bad posing. :)

edited April 2013

Szark said:
    When using IK you can PIN a body part so it doesn't move but it will move if the pose you are making gets past the point were the pinned body parts has to move but it does work nicely. How to Pin body parts http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19414/

Generally I do the long hard way by doing it all myself bone by bone. Or I start with a pose preset that gets me close then I refine it. The is no wrong or right way just good and bad posing. :)

Thanks, but I am apparently not allowed to view that link :(

The following errors were encountered
    You are not authorized to view this forum

Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Dur yeah sorry it is in the PC section of the forum. Here is what I was linking to

Szark said:
    Any of the Translation tools will show the Pinning Icon Richard. Rotation, translation, Scaling and the Universal except the Node Selection tool.

Here I have the translation tool selected, selected the foot and clicked on the Pin Icon shown in the image below,

Pinning_copy.jpg
    505 x 327 - 74K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Dur yeah sorry it is in the PC section of the forum. Here is what I was linking to

Szark said:
    Any of the Translation tools will show the Pinning Icon Richard. Rotation, translation, Scaling and the Universal except the Node Selection tool.

Here I have the translation tool selected, selected the foot and clicked on the Pin Icon shown in the image below,

Thanks.

"PC" section? politically correct section? police controlled section? private and cool section?

edited December 1969

Problem children more like...only joking Platinum Club members before you beat me up and down the forums. :P