3D Starter pack

fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Will the fairy items in the 3D starter pack (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-bundles/3d-starter-pack), sku 2635 work in DAZ Studio 3.1?
I have both DAZ 3.1 and DAZ 4.5, but prefer to work in 3.1.
If the fairy items do NOT work in 3.1, is there an easy way to save the 4.5 file in 3.1 format?

very respectfully,
fleetpp

Comments

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Although I am not a Studio user I can say that all those products predate 3.1

So yes, they will work unless Daz updated the files to the new standard.

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

jmper said:
    Although I am not a Studio user I can say that all those products predate 3.1

So yes, they will work unless Daz updated the files to the new standard.

Thank you for responding.

I understand that the items pre-date DAZ 3.1 (I have an 'old' faeire forest package that I got as a freebie when I first got DAZ 3.1).

I never could get the faerie items to work properly with DAZ 3.1 (the scene would open, but Victoria 3 and all of the items were gray).

I don't want to spend $14.95 plus tax to find out I can't use the faerie items.

Can someone who still has DAZ Studio 3.1 verify that the faerie items in the 3D starter pack will work with 3.1?

very respectfully,
    fleetpp

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

If the items are in DAZ Studio format, rather than Poser format, then I think you will find that the uvs are garbled in DS3 and 4, and as a result they will not be useful - though if you get Poser format figures you could use those, with DS material presets (which should still work - it's just the uvs for the saved scenes that are probably broken).

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Note that if the item is old enough (I think before D|S1.8 came out) it won't load in D|S3 or 4 — the way the data files were saved changed. And I can't remember how old that starter pack is. The only fix I know of (if this is your problem) is to load the items in D|S2, re-save, then they'll work in 3 and probably 4. Of course, this is only possible if you still have an old D|S2 installer.

edited November 2012

Note that if the item is old enough (I think before D|S1.8 came out) it won't load in D|S3 or 4 — the way the data files were saved changed. And I can't remember how old that starter pack is. The only fix I know of (if this is your problem) is to load the items in D|S2, re-save, then they'll work in 3 and probably 4. Of course, this is only possible if you still have an old D|S2 installer.

I don't have DS 2; I searched for it, but all I can find are links to downlaod DAZ 4. :(

Post edited by fleetpp on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

I think that pack is all Poser formats, the confusion is that some of those items came with DS1 as part of the manuals tutorial, they were in DS native formats.

If they are in DS native formats then DS3 wont be able to read the UV settings, but DS4.5 can, support for the old files was added around 4.5.0.114

edited November 2012

Bejaymac said:
    I think that pack is all Poser formats, the confusion is that some of those items came with DS1 as part of the manuals tutorial, they were in DS native formats.

If they are in DS native formats then DS3 wont be able to read the UV settings, but DS4.5 can, support for the old files was added around 4.5.0.114

Bejaymac,
    Thanks for the response. I like your avatar. I don't know how tell if the contents are in DS native format.

Can anybody confirm or deny that the 3D starter pack items will work with DAZ 3.1 (somebody who has actually tried it)?

very respectfully,
    fleet

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2012

I have the 3D starter pac and I used it in DS3 ,some of the things I had to hand load the textures,but other then that I don't remember any problems.
    I have since uninstalled everything except the fairy clothes for V3 and the Fairy forest so I can go double check on those if you'd like.
    Umm all of the parts I have are the Poser files not DS files sooo I don't think it came with DS files or I deleted those too if they didn't work .

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    I have the 3D starter pac and I used it in DS3 ,some of the things I had to hand load the textures,but other then that I don't remember any problems.
    I have since uninstalled everything except the fairy clothes for V3 and the Fairy forest so I can go double check on those if you'd like.
    Umm all of the parts I have are the Poser files not DS files sooo I don't think it came with DS files or I deleted those too if they didn't work .

Yes, if you have DS3, I'd appreciate if if you could text the fairy clothes and Fairy Forest.
    When I tried the 'old' fairy forest the other day, the fairy dress, V3, fairy wings were grey. Only the wand had proper color.

edited November 2012

Well I went in and rechecked ,the files I'm useing are the poser files Cr2,pp2 ....and they work in DS3 would you like a screen shot or a render??
    Nevermind here is a render

V3_FF.png
    1273 x 932 - 2M
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Well I went in and rechecked ,the files I'm useing are the poser files Cr2,pp2 ....and they work in DS3 would you like a screen shot or a render??

Idea post a screenshot of your grey stuff......
    edited November 2012

carrie58 said:
    carrie58 said:

Idea post a screenshot of your grey stuff......

Here are a screen shot and a render of what I get with the 'old' fairy forest. I did notice that your fairy had shoes and mine didn't. I looked at the files, and the have DAZ as the extension, not cr2 or pp2.

fairy-forest2.jpg
    1422 x 995 - 383K
    fairy-forest-screen.JPG
    1440 x 900 - 126K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited November 2012

fleetpp what you have there is the free content that came with DS1 and not the 3D starter pack, so unless you have DS1 or 2 or 4.5 then they won't work for you.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited November 2012

What I would try fleet ,is once your scene is loaded,go to the surface tab and try loading the textures by hand and then resave the scene,that should get you back to a functional scene .......

Okay the wings texture should be found in DAZ/clothing/milwoman/V3......
    Plant , rocks textures should be in DAZ /environments/FF........

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    What I would try fleet ,is once your scene is loaded,go to the surface tab and try loading the textures by hand and then resave the scene,that should get you back to a functional scene .......

Okay the wings texture should be found in DAZ/clothing/milwoman/V3......

@carrie58,
    The wing textures were where you said they would be, but when I tried to load them using the surface tab they still didn't appear.
    Since you got it to work using DS3, I believe Bejaymac has the correct idea: that what I have is the DS 1 content, and not what is in the 3D starter pack.

I appreciate the help, and feel I can purchase the 3D starter pack with confidence.

very respectfully,
    fleetpp

edited December 1969

Well I'm still doing some checking,I found the DS installer and am gonna check to see if I can get it to load.

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Well I'm still doing some checking,I found the DS installer and am gonna check to see if I can get it to load.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you doing this.

very respectfully,
    fleetpp

edited December 1969

Well got the DS files loaded in 3 and yep they are FUBAR,the only reason the wand has any color is that it only uses diffused color ,no texture file,but I tried reloading the texture files,which it said were there and nothing I even tried changeing cameras( just in case) but the poser format stuff will work in DS3 so that good to know .......and the plus is thanks to your question I found the fairy antennea I was looking for so that a plus all the way around.

edited November 2012

carrie58 said:
    Well got the DS files loaded in 3 and yep they are FUBAR,the only reason the wand has any color is that it only uses diffused color ,no texture file,but I tried reloading the texture files,which it said were there and nothing I even tried changeing cameras( just in case) but the poser format stuff will work in DS3 so that good to know .......and the plus is thanks to your question I found the fairy antennea I was looking for so that a plus all the way around.

Thank you very much.

Very respectfully,
    fleetpp

EDIT: I purchased the 3D starter pack. The 'poser' files for individual items work very nicely in DAZ Studio 3.1

:)

edited December 1969

The 3D Starter pack is supposed to come with two pre-made scenes. (see picture). I can't find them. Can somebody tell me the names of the files for the pre-made scenes?

3dstarter.JPG
    793 x 621 - 137K
    edited December 1969

You should be able to find them in the content folder, in a Scene folder ........

edited November 2012

carrie58 said:
    You should be able to find them in the content folder, in a Scene folder ........

I hunted for them using both DS3 and DAZ 4, and had no luck, so I did a directory search for all the folders named 'content' and looked inside them. I didn't see any folder named 'scene'.

I then did a search for folder name 'scene' I have no folders named 'scene', but I had several named 'scenes'. Unfortunately none of them contained the pre-made scenes.

If you have the files, what are the file names and extensions?

very respectfully,
    fleetpp

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,315
    edited December 1969

I do not have the set, but I did have a look at the product page, and it's listed as environment props, so you might want to look under the PROPS header, and perhaps under either DAZ or Environments

edited December 1969

I do not have the set, but I did have a look at the product page, and it's listed as environment props, so you might want to look under the PROPS header, and perhaps under either DAZ or Environments

I appreciate that fact that you are trying to help me. The PROPS are is where the individual items in the forest scene are located. I'm looking for the complete pre-made complete scenes that the bundle is supposed to have.

I've been seriously hunting for the completed scenes, and I am getting frustrated.

Can somebody who actually has the bundle help me?

very respectfully,
    fleetpp

edited December 1969

fleetpp I know you are getting frustrated ,there should have been 2 installers ,1 for DS stuff, and 1 for Poser stuff, you installed both of them??
    In the Scenes folder (I forgot to add the "s" last time) look for Faerie Forest Day and Faerie Forest Night ,

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    fleetpp I know you are getting frustrated ,there should have been 2 installers ,1 for DS stuff, and 1 for Poser stuff, you installed both of them??
    In the Scenes folder (I forgot to add the "s" last time) look for Faerie Forest Day and Faerie Forest Night ,

Let me make this perfectly clear; the complete pre-made scenes are NOT in a scenes folder.

I've attached a screenshot of the installers I downloaded and ran.

Please,please, please, just tell me what the file names are. You can right click on the icons that you have and browse to file directory and it should show you the file names. If the files ascii files?
    very respectfully,
    fleetpp

a-frustrated.JPG
    702 x 462 - 121K
    edited December 1969

I will give out with a large oops!! I bought my 3D Starter pac ,2years ago and needless to say there weren't that many installers ........sooo now I'm pretty much ,not any help at all ...sorry.My only other suggestion would be to contact the Help Desk and ask them what the file name is ....I'm sorry fleetpp

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    I will give out with a large oops!! I bought my 3D Starter pac ,2years ago and needless to say there weren't that many installers ........sooo now I'm pretty much ,not any help at all ...sorry.My only other suggestion would be to contact the Help Desk and ask them what the file name is ....I'm sorry fleetpp

I've submitted a ticket to Tech Support. If I don't hear from them soon I'll contact Sales and request a refund.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

fleetpp said:
    carrie58 said:

I've submitted a ticket to Tech Support. If I don't hear from them soon I'll contact Sales and request a refund.

I wonder what their response will be...because I've had that thing for ages. I think I got it back in 2007 ( Sept of 2007, along with the 3D Bridge and Aiko 3.0...), when it was free. I haven't reset the download on it in a long time. But I do know that the last time I installed it, it had the Poser files. I haven't tried loading any of the scenes in DS4,x, but I think they worked in 3...

The listing you posted, looks like it's gone through a major update...it wasn't until recently that metadata was being included. So, it looks like the 'bundle' has been broken down into it's individual components. They may have intentionally removed the scenes, since they are one of the 'problems'...whether they are gone, permanently or just not present, because they are being updated, who knows.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

I wonder what their response will be...because I've had that thing for ages. I think I got it back in 2007 ( Sept of 2007, along with the 3D Bridge and Aiko 3.0...), when it was free. I haven't reset the download on it in a long time. But I do know that the last time I installed it, it had the Poser files. I haven't tried loading any of the scenes in DS4,x, but I think they worked in 3...

The listing you posted, looks like it's gone through a major update...it wasn't until recently that metadata was being included. So, it looks like the 'bundle' has been broken down into it's individual components. They may have intentionally removed the scenes, since they are one of the 'problems'...whether they are gone, permanently or just not present, because they are being updated, who knows.

If DAZ removed the scenes from the bundle, IMO the promotional paragraph should NOT have included the statement that two pre-made scenes are included.

Very respectfully,
    fleetpp