Question about file types

cimairacimaira Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is there a list somewhere as to which files need to be downloaded for what program?

There are a total of 6 files for Unicycle Bob.

I use Poser only, on a PC, so I know I need the Unicycle Bob_v1.1_dcp.exe, but what is the: Unicycle Bob - 15112_UnicycleBobPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe - PC - Poser .

This is getting way to confusing. It used to be a simple matter to tell if a product was for Poser or DAZ Studio, or both. But now with the release of DSON, It takes paying special attention to make sure the product is usable in Poser.

I wish someone would create a list somewhere telling what files need to downloaded, for each program.
If there is such a list, please point me toward it.

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

...Unicycle Bob - 15112_UnicycleBobPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe
    [/quote

It's not that complicated, really. PoserCF stands for Poser Companion Files. Those are the files you need if you wanted to use the product with Genesis, but inside of Poser. The Poser Companion Files are the "translator" files that allow Poser to understand DAZ format files, like Genesis.

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...Unicycle Bob - 15112_UnicycleBobPoserCF_v1.1_dpc.exe
    [/quote It's not that complicated, really. PoserCF stands for Poser Companion Files. Those are the files you need if you wanted to use the product with Genesis, but inside of Poser. The Poser Companion Files are the "translator" files that allow Poser to understand DAZ format files, like Genesis.

Well, maybe not for you, but for me it's clear as mud. Thanks for the answer.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

Don't feel bad cimaira. I've been working in DS for approaching a year now, almost all of the time trying to better sort the items, and I still don't have the naming conventions down by a long shot. Many people with much more time than I have in this complain about the naming (un)conventions here. They vary considerably over time and there is no official DAZ documentation on what the various naming structures mean. That isn't to say there isn't information out there, it is.. just scattered and mostly provided by other users in the forum like this.

It is considered industry best practice to develop a naming convention, *document it* and stick to it. If the naming convention changes, it is supposed to be documented as to exactly what the changes are and why, all following naming is to follow the new protocol and old named (code etc...) is to be brought up to date on an as possible basis. DAZ for no apparent reason has forgone this even though it is from my observations the single largest gripe among the users. There are a lot of things DAZ does well. This is not one of them.

Edit: where things are placed in the library is probably the number one gripe, naming of files would probably be second.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    edited November 2012

I agree, currently there is a total lack of consistency in file naming. However, it looks like things will improve a lot with the new zip file format, which includes the SKU as well as the product name from the product page. And the product name in the file name is formatted so that you can simply copy it and paste it onto this URL, to access the product page:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/

E.g.:

IM00005417_heart-of-space-2-nebulas.zip

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ + heart-of-space-2-nebulas = http://www.daz3d.com/shop/heart-of-space-2-nebulas

DAZzipfilenames.jpg
    348 x 196 - 31K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

I am not happy with this personally... no version information, which is *very* disconcerting. How can they not have version information listed in the filename. That is a *major* issue. :/

They don't need the SKU if the file is named the same as the product. I used to use product# to look things up but they nerfed that and it became useless so I am not too excited to see it revived again. The version information on the other hand should be critical and I hope everyone here posts that they would like to see that included so that if as many people care about this as should, DAZ might listen before the naming is cast in stone.

I started another thread about this to make it more visible.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree version number is badly needed. But there are many things that are needed and most of them will probably not be addressed any time soon.