Surface Mask Creator for DS

DigitalMirrorsDigitalMirrors Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I saw this product and would really like to have it. However it lists installers for Daz 2 and Daz 3, and I have 4.5. Can anyone tell me if there is way to find out if the creator Dreamlight is planning on updating it or if it will work as is in Daz 4.5?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

LisaDM said:
    I saw this product and would really like to have it. However it lists installers for Daz 2 and Daz 3, and I have 4.5. Can anyone tell me if there is way to find out if the creator Dreamlight is planning on updating it or if it will work as is in Daz 4.5?

Basically, Dreamlight's items are stuck at the version they currently have, until further notice. The update schedule for them has never been disclosed, although word from DL is that at least some of them will be updated 'soon', no word as to exactly which ones that covers or when. So if you are looking at buying something and don't have a version of DS that it does work in, I'd put it one my Wishlist and keep an eye out to see if/when it gets updated.

• DigitalMirrorsDigitalMirrors Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, well. I thought that might be the case. :(

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to me. I will take your suggestion and put it on the item on my wish list. :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

This might help you decide http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8743/ I still use it in DS4.5 though it can be a bit time consuming replacing displacement maps and reset the settings up but it still gives the best precise Masks available.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I will have to give it a try then. It looks pretty nice. Even if it's just mostly worked I could see it being useful.

edited December 1969

Yea! Thank you Szark. I bought it and it seems to work decently so far and it's exactly what I was hoping for. :)

edited December 1969

Nice...just remember my tips on the other thread I linked to and if you have to use the "Replace Custom Shader......." command remember first look to see if your are using displacement maps as you will need to reload the maps and set the min and max setting back up. Otherwise the mask will be not be precise.

edited December 1969

Thanks again for the tip, I've had to use it once.

I don't suppose you know if a couple other products of Dreamlights work in 4/5

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pointlight-lightsphere
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/camera-pointer-for-ds

Also do you know anything about these, would you recommend them?

On the Mask Creator, I'm not sure if you've already tried this or not. But the masks were not quite as crisp as I wanted, so I tried making a second Mask at twice the resolution and then I sized it down to match my render. I was happier with the result when I did this. Attached is a section of a mask for PHLovely hair. My full render was at 2000dpi you can see the section of that on the left, the one on the right was done at 4000dpi and then scaled down to 2000dpi in Photoshop.

ValPHLovely-DoubleRez.jpg
    706 x 519 - 46K
    edited December 1969

Point Light Sphere I have no idea about sorry. You will have to contact the vender for the one.

Camera Pointer will not work in DS4.5

As for the crispness...what render settings are you using? Shading will should be quite low about 0.20 low (meaning higher quality. :)

edited December 1969

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Where are the settings you are talking about? I don't see these settings in Mask Creator. Is there a setting that will affect how crisp the mask is?

edited December 1969

My bad I should have said "Shading Rate" in the Render Settings Pane while in Advanced view

Try that first then if you need more refinement then increasing X and Y Pixel Sample might have an effect.

RenderSettingsMain_copy.jpg
    478 x 1014 - 265K