WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, November, 2012

LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287

WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, November 2012

"Autumn Celebration / Thankfulness"

Intent: To enjoy the Autumn season and show what you are thankful for.

This thread is intended to be used to share your progress or possible final submissions with the members of the community as well as those running the contest. Please feel free to post your images for advice and tips, to get feedback, or to even just simply show off your hard work! :) Throughout the month myself and others will be popping in to give help and advice as you work to make your creative visions for the contest come to life.

We have people standing by to give you hints and tips,

When working on this image, or indeed any image, it may help to start by either picturing the type of image you would like to make or by browsing the net and seeing what inspires you.

It is Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere, a time of harvest and giving thanks. This months contest is about celebrating the Autumnal harvest season and or just showing what you are thankful for.

Since an area of my expertise is in post work and image composition, I will be posting some post work tips through out the month. Post work is encouraged but not required. Most of all have fun and enjoy.

"We would like to thank Mada who has graciously decided to sponsor this months contest" She will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this months "Autumn / Thankfulness"contest. To view some of Mada's items please see her store front here Mada's Store

Closing Date: November 30th 2012

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well I think we are in for a treat this month. I for one cannot wait to see the postwork tips.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

I agree with Szark. Got pen and a notebook eagerly waiting for those.

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

this is going to be good, as for thankfulness, that is wide open it can go anywhere you have to think about what you are thankful for and then
    try to put that into an image, not as easy as it sounds.
    but i know im going to give it a shot.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

yup, kinda wanted to leave it wide open, let you all come up with what ever your muses provide

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GREAT! now i have to find a muse, that may take more time than the image,
    just joking this is going to be good

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks to be a very fun month, will be watching and helping as I can. If I can.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Can't wait to see the images :cheese:

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Everything about this makes me smile! :) Can't wait to see the renders!

• edited December 1969

I have been playing around with Photoshop to get an idea on a colour scheme for this months challenge and this is what I have come up with. Have a few ideas on a render to add to the scene but not sure how to compose it so that it looks good with the background.

festivalPoster01.jpg
    1000 x 660 - 210K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well that bit sure looks good. I hope you can work out the rest.

edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    I have been playing around with Photoshop to get an idea on a colour scheme for this months challenge and this is what I have come up with. Have a few ideas on a render to add to the scene but not sure how to compose it so that it looks good with the background.

that looks great! love the colors. Question, are you dead set on using it as a background? I.m thinking it would make a great sign. You could put it as a sign or billboard as a background element and then show the people at the Harvest Festival in the foreground. Kind of like a fall farmers market. Just a thought.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well that bit sure looks good. I hope you can work out the rest.
    Thanks chohole

that looks great! love the colors. Question, are you dead set on using it as a background? I.m thinking it would make a great sign. You could put it as a sign or billboard as a background element and then show the people at the Harvest Festival in the foreground. Kind of like a fall farmers market. Just a thought.

What a great idea! Thank-you. I haven't been able to get my ideas to work and I realy want to use it in my scene. :-)
    edited December 1969

I.m thinking it would make a great sign. You could put it as a sign or billboard as a background element and then show the people at the Harvest Festival in the foreground.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Great start Bluemoon.

edited December 1969

My first thought when I saw it was "I want to see this harvest festival", so that is what I thought of.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Exactly my thought as well. I especially love the color scheme. ;-)

• edited November 2012

Szark said:
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Great start Bluemoon.
    Thank-you Szark

Exactly my thought as well. I especially love the color scheme. ;-)

Thank-you Miss B

I have started work on a scene for the festival that will take a few renders to complete, so I would like to thank you all for you're input as I am real excited about this one.

I tried posting replies yesterday afternoon and last night and kept getting the error mesage in the image bellow, its never happened before so I am not sure if this reply will work.

Yeaha!! Its working again.

Untitled-1.jpg
    695 x 390 - 142K
    Post edited by bluemoon_524a0e29ba on
    edited December 1969

That error normally crops up when you either try posting a reply using the same wording as you have posted previously, or if you post a response that the forum thinks is "spam"

IF you get the problem crop up again, try altering the wording slightly and try again.

It also reacts to reponses which just say "thanks" or "lol"

edited November 2012

First steps of the entry. What do you think?

WIP_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 653K
    Post edited by Ilena on
    edited December 1969

I done said this but this looks to be one fun month. Spread the word, I would like to see more folks in this one.

edited November 2012

Keep in mind folks that the theme Autumn Celebration / Thankfulness is very wide open to interpretation. You are completely free to think outside the box. This is open to all genres of art, you don't have to stick to traditional themes. You could go with sci-fi and show us Autumn on another planet, or maybe show us what it would be like if the Mayflower was a star cruiser and Plymouth Rock was another planet, instead of Indians greeting the Pilgrims its aliens. Fantasy and show us mythical creatures celebrate the Autumnal season. Thankfulness can mean anything, you can go with something that had a deep personal meaning for you, or you could show someone who is thankful they got by those robot death troops. Get creative, let your mind go wild. As long as you follow the general themes of either Celebrating Autumn or Thankfulness, then the sky is the limit, let your imaginations sore.

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited November 2012

Just wanna check to see if I qualify for a contest made for new users. I joined Daz back in February 17, 2011. At that time Daz was giving away all their character bases away for free. My main use for Daz Studio was using their base characters as artist’s models for poses I wasn’t able to imagine clearly. I really didn’t do any renders or use Daz Studio for creating finished artwork.

Below is a screen shot of my 16 month order history from Feb 2011 (when I joined) to May 2012 showing that the majority of my purchases equaled to $0.00 (the freebies). So I was wondering if I would still qualify as a new user for this contest.

1.jpg
    690 x 624 - 51K
    Post edited by Graze on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:
    Just wanna check to see if I qualify for a contest made for new users. I joined Daz back in February 17, 2011. At that time Daz was giving away all their character bases away for free. My main use for Daz Studio was using their base characters as artist’s models for poses I wasn’t able to imagine clearly. I really didn’t do any renders or use Daz Studio for creating finished artwork.

Below is a screen shot of my 16 month order history from Feb 2011 (when I joined) to May 2012 showing that the majority of my purchases equaled to $0.00 (the freebies). So I was wondering if I would still qualify as a new user for this contest.

I've been here for four years & still consider myself a beginner (in some areas).
    edited December 1969

As long as you have not won a major contest (one with large prize amounts) or won any of the monthly contests you are free to join. If your too darn good you might win and get a prize and be asked to join as a helper in the up coming contests. We'll never know until you join. Content does not have one bit to do with if your a New User, if you think your a new User then you are, until skill and winning proves you need to move on to bigger things.

I believe a user is allowed three wins in the small contests total before you no longer qualify as a new user.

edited December 1969

The title: Village autumn festival

This is the preview render of the scene I'm trying to achieve using multiple renders. So would do you think?

Skica.png
    800 x 450 - 708K
    edited December 1969

It's looking good

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

This is the preview render of the scene I'm trying to achieve using multiple renders. So would do you think?

it is getting there. I like the prgression from your first WIP.
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Looking very good, just one Idea from me. If the dancer was turned so we see more of the action it would add much more impact to the image. IMHO.
    edited November 2012

Ilena52 said:

you are a tad weak on subject here. The dancer looks like she should be the subject, but you are letting her blend into the background. Bring her forward, fill the frame with her. And as Jaderail pointed out perhaps a change angle to bring more attention to her, at least make it so her face isn't blocked.

Otherwise it looks to be a very good scene, great colors. Looking forward to what you do with it

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
    edited December 1969

I've noticed a tendency among new users to do very wide shots in their images. They keep the camera way back and try to get everything in the scene. In Film making we call this an Establishing Shot. In a movie the purpose of the establishing shot is to show where we are and who all is there. In a movie this shot is normally very quick, lasting only a few seconds on screen. For a movie or a comic book an establishing shot can be very useful. It gives the audience important information about what they are about to see and it does it in a quick efficient manner. But for still artwork that is meant to stand on its own it is not the most interesting type of shot. For still artwork the next cut would make the better composition. Usually the next thing we see in a movie after a wide establishing shot is a tighter shot on the most important character in the scene, with just a hint of what is going on around them.

If you find your self doing these wide establishing shots, stop and ask your self, who is the most important, most interesting person in the scene? When you have that figured out punch in on them, get the camera in close. Don't let the viewer's eye wander. Make a bold statement, you want your image to scream "THIS IS WHAT MY IMAGE IS ABOUT, NOW LOOK AT IT !!!!!!!" That is what works in a still image, that is what gives your image power. Your image is your voice, don't whisper, I want to hear you yell!!!

edited December 1969

Great post LX which hopfully leads on to next month's competition which will hopfully have some info on composition rules. I learn so much from you when you explain things like this. Establishing Shot...so that's what it is all about never really analyised things like that when I am watching a movie...perhaps I should start.