Problem opening PSDs in GIMP... any help?

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I found these great skin textures on ShareCG in PSD format, but, apparently, they were exported from Paint Shop Pro and GIMP cannot handle them.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/48702/gallery/11/Poser/V4.2-Skin-Shader-Photoshop

Does anyone know how I can convert them so I can get them into GIMP?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It comes in two Versions PS and PSP if your Gimp can read psd files for Photoshop you should be able to use them.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

The PSD files will not open in GIMP. That IS The problem. I even downloaded PSP and exported the PSP native files to PSD and those did not work either.

edited December 1969

What I'm trying to avoid doing is dis assembling the files in PSP and reconstructing them in GIMP... I have PSP for 30 days and will not buy it (I love GIMP). If worse comes to worse, I'll learn to do exactly that, but I'm hoping to just get the files into GIMP without all that labour...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

There is something in the saving info or age of the file as I cannot load it in to GIMP 2.8.2 either but if I resave the PSD from Photoshop Elements then I can open it up in GIMP.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Opps.. did not think of the AGE/Version issue. Sorry folks.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Opps.. did not think of the AGE/Version issue. Sorry folks.
    Jad I am only guessing. :)
    edited December 1969

Szark, any chance I can get down on my knees and beg you to fire off the resaved files and be blessed with your willingness to do so? :) :) :)

edited December 1969

I would be gald to BUT for this comment (4th down from your comment)

You cannot redistribute the PSD's as a whole. you are allowed to make a single layer Texture using this as a tool.

however if you contact the vender I would be happy to send them or you (if they say it is ok) the newly saved PSD's if they are willing. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it the wrong way.

edited December 1969

I shall try :) Thanks Szark

edited December 1969

I fired off a message on ShareCG, hopefully he'll reply

edited December 1969

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Funny...I can get the torso to open, but not the face or limbs.

edited December 1969

I'm hoping Daniel will add the XCF files I now have to that zip. They work exactly the way they're supposed to.

edited December 1969

Ok just for the record wancow got permission for me to resave these with Photoshop Elements which I sent off to wancow to use in GIMP I should have just converted them myself but I was in a rush and not thinking right still. Had a bad week this week. :)

edited December 1969

It's all good. And yes, I did get permission. The file is being offered as an MR. And the way they're set up, you could do one whole hell of a lot with them! Especially in combination with other MRs

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Now I remember why I haven't been using them...I ran into this when I first downloaded them. back in February and didn't get a chance to investigate the 'why won't they work', so I forgot all about them. Yeah, along with a couple of the other free MRs some nice skins can be made...