Any alternatives to Property Editor?

chsmo69chsmo69 Posts: 29
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I need to ERC freeze a few custom morphs I made. Is there another way to do this without going through the property editor? The editor takes 30 minutes+ to load and then crashes upon choosing an item. I really hope this gets fixed in the future, but in the meantime, are there alternatives to do this type of work?

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

Property Editor works fine for me, takes a few minutes to load in any Poser figure I've converted to TriAx, but opens in seconds with Genesis.

Your not the first person I've heard say this though, so you might want to bug report it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited November 2012

You can access the pane's menu as long as you can see the tab to right-click on, even if it's docked with another pane or panes and isn't active. Here I have the Tool Settings pane active, but the Property editor menu open.

PEmenuWithTSactive.jpg
    722 x 659 - 54K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

chsmo said:
    I need to ERC freeze a few custom morphs I made. Is there another way to do this without going through the property editor? The editor takes 30 minutes+ to load and then crashes upon choosing an item. I really hope this gets fixed in the future, but in the meantime, are there alternatives to do this type of work?

Yes you can do it manually but you're better wait the 30 min, I have to agree with you on how long the property editor takes to load the more shapes you have for genesis the longer it takes. I have Win7 Pro with 32gig of mem and it still takes 5-10 to load it's one the the worst bugs in DS and I hate it, someone is dumping it in the wrong mem address or something like that.
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

I had the ERC Freeze pane itself as a custom action for a while-- I even had a button in my toolbars. It saved me a lot of time to go straight to that pane.

edited November 2012

I have to agree with you on how long the property editor takes to load the more shapes you have for genesis the longer it takes.

One of the other people with this problem has roughly the same number of morphs in Genesis as I do, the base morphs that come with it and a handful of the freebies. Yet while the PE is ready for me in seconds it took them 10+ minutes, providing it didn't crash, so this kind of points to an issue with the users system, some kind of hardware incompatibility, driver incompatibility or one seriously screwed up content directory.

For comparison sake I'm on a 2.5 Ghz Core2 quad, with Vista HP 64, 4GB RAM and a 1GB GT430.

Now for me DS4 isn't fit for "prime time" so I treat it as a buggy alpha/beta with experimental software, so only it's content is in "Documents", my DS1, 2 & 3 directories are safely out of the way on F drive (a partition) along with all of my Poser runtimes, that way there's very little chance of it ****ing up my work, especially as my main DS directories aren't even listed in DS4. That way any time there's a new build, I uninstall it and delete the My Library folder, that way there isn't any left over incompatible files left lying around for the new build, I also don't use the CMS or their thick as **** Smart content.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited November 2012

I have already send report about property editor to mantis,,

as for me, if I select genesis and open property editor first time, after open ds 4.5,
    it may take 3 or 5 minutes.

and if I remain the property editor tab open, then close ds 4.5.
    next time, I open ds 4.5 and load genesis, I need to wait property editor loading finish.

I think the more I get or make new morphs,, the loading time expand,,

it must be improved I think.

===============

and if I just use property editor for ERC freeze, it is better to set custom action ore use other menu,,

but make JCM or MCM I must need to set morphs controller or sub conponents,
    I often use them,, about this case, is there any good idea?

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

What version of DS is everyone using?

What version of Genesis is everyone loading?

I just did a test in DS 4.5.1.6 with the Genesis from the previous version of DS45. After loading Genesis I wen to the Propery Editor and it took about 45 seconds for it to "load" everything.

I have all the DAZ figures, the creature and muscle morphs plus the morphs from Thorne and Handspan and the 3DU toon characters and a few others.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited November 2012

Property editor loading times depends on how much morphs you have for Genesis. EG My Genesis with Genx morphs takes 35 min to load. What I did was move all the unwanted morphs out of the Genesis data folder, Close daz, Then load a new genesis and only those basic remaining morphs loaded. Then I saved it. Then I moved all my morphs back. The new "basic" Genesis only saves the morphs that were in the data folder at the time, which was minimun. Now it takes about a minute to open in property editor.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

On my notoriously slow to load most things machine, it loads (and no, I don't have all the morphs, but I do have about a dozen or so sculpted morphs I'm working on, in addition to a selection of the standard ones...) and it takes no more than 20 seconds to come up.

edited December 1969

Well for those with load time issues with PE there is an easy way to find out once and for all if your problem is too many morphs, head into the "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base" folder, in here you'll find 4 folders, select and rename the Morphs folder (I added an ! to the start). Now open DS and load Genesis, in the Parameters tab you should only see 2 main groups, General and Display, Actor and Pose Controls should be missing (if they aren't then you got problems with your content), now open the PE, it should be ready almost instantly, if it still takes forever then DS & the PE don't like something on your computer.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Actor and Pose Controls should be missing (if they aren't then you got problems with your content), now open the PE, it should be ready almost instantly, if it still takes forever then DS & the PE don't like something on your computer.

I'd say that the other groups and a content problem would most likely be one of, if not the only, reasons it takes so long to open.