Animators Club for Carrara wip thread . First animation, Week 1 . The Final Gesture.

mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
edited October 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hey fellow Carrara users. 

I was looking to spark interest in animating in Carrara as a group, I was hoping the Carrara users here could create a simple animation every week as a group. One member could come up with the storyline,another do the modeling.  Then another user could add the sound/Credits etc and yet another do the animation. So by the end of the week we would have a simple finished  animation. The animations are meant to be very simple so everyone can participate, the most important thing is to finish the animation. 

I sort of started something like this a while ago which was much more ambitious and we had lots of help in creating the final movie, here is the   link  that shows the final animation. 

Hopefully there is interest in this and we can produce some nice animations in time.  I will post the first challenge shortly  but any comments/ideas you want to share please do so. 

Here is the link to the  Butterfly Model and Grave Grass Carrara files.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aBvxIlPU5Gc0ZxOXlDSEpoS00

SkeletonArm  by diomede   http://www.sharecg.com/v/86141/browse/5/3D-Model/Arm-Skeleton-Toon

Flower  by diomede   http://www.sharecg.com/v/86140/browse/5/3D-Model/FlowerToon

Headstone  by wgdjohn   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/17/6013ce889673baaacfbf2e53ee4860.zip

Here is the Complete Scene  Carrara file link.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aBvxIlPU5GOG1JUGx1WTRVaE0

Here is an updated Complete Carrara Scene file link.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aBvxIlPU5GWWo4YS0tTmo1S1k

Animation Club Week#2 thread   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/121386/

Post edited by mmoir on

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

MIKE !!! You are back !

I'm so happy that I've not read your post before to write this...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited September 2016

I remember that old link.  It was great.  I rendered my first attempted animation.  I remember I used physics as part of mine.  Can't promise to have time every week, but can promise to try to make time evey week.  Will participate more often than not.  Great to see you on the forum again.  (Hey, by the way.  Do you know how to get the toon renderer to recognize dynamic hair? indecision   )

EDIT - I was wrong.  That is the link to the joint animation.  Great stuff.  What ever happened to the forum thread you started with occasional animation challenges?

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2016

Here is one, but not the one I was thinking of - animation exercises to try

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/71105/animation-exercises-to-try/p1

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Diomede ,  The thread died out like the dinosaurs.smiley   Hopefully , this thread lives a little longer.

diomede said:

EDIT - I was wrong.  That is the link to the joint animation.  Great stuff.  What ever happened to the forum thread you started with occasional animation challenges?

Hey Carrara people, 

I think we can start the Animation Clubs first animation but we need a theme and basic story.  Soooo..... , the first person who posts a basic story  to this thread wins the prize, their story will be the topic of the first Animation Club  movie.  Remember , give a little explanation of your story so the person who does the modeling knows roughly what to model.  Once the story is posted here I will create a separate thread officially starting the Carrara Animation Clubs first movie.   Keep in mind these are just simple animations we are after that are 5 to 15 seconds long when choosing your storyline..  

Cheers.

Hey DUDU,  I just haven't posted anything in a while but I have visited the forums.  

DUDU said:

MIKE !!! You are back !

I'm so happy that I've not read your post before to write this...

In honor of FifthElement's monthly challenge entry, here is a dark short.

Open with scene of grave, including grass, stone, human legs/feet standing nearby, butterfly resting on stone - optional other grave stones, trees etc

Human arm/hand reach down and place flowers on grave.

Feet/legs turn and walk out of frame

Hear sneaze, ground/stone shake, butterfly float off

Butterfly return to stone, short pause, birds chirping

Second sneeze (louder), ground shake, butterfly float off

Butterfly return to stone, short pause bird chirping,

Violent sneeze (loudest), ground shake, stone almost fall over, butterfly fly out of frame

Skeleton hand dig out of ground

Skeleton hand grab flowers and throw out of frame

(optional violation of TOS by having skeleton hand offer gesture toward feet that walked away)

Skeleton hand return to ground

Butterfly return to stone, birds chirp.

(Can shorten by reducing number of sneezes)

Would need at a minimum:

a landscape and sky background image

grave stone

replicated grass

flowers bouquet

butterfly model (rigged)

human legs/feet model (rigged) - OK to use Daz figures?

human arms/hand model (rigged) - OK to use Daz figures?

skeleton arm/hand model (rigged) - OK to use Daz figures?

edited September 2016

Or is that too complicated?

Remember - I've worked on exactly three animations ever.  Might be overestimating what I can do in a week.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

mmoir, Great idea. Don't think I can participate but will keep and eye on how things are going.

diomede, regarding "(optional violation of TOS by having skeleton hand offer gesture toward feet that walked away)" there are 2 options to avoid TOS... could the offending gesture be blurred? To have no problem with TOS... have skelton arm shaking a fist instead. Suggestion toss flowers in opposite direction that legs exited scene.

Here is a start on a skeleton arm.  Has a low res bicep, forearm, wrist bones, palm, and 3 thumb bones.  Still need to duplicate my tube (in red) a few more times for the finger joints.  Also need to reshape the wrist and palm bones.  But, the basics are there.  Not going to rig using bones.  Instead, just going to parent the parts and move the hot points. Will bend and move like a mechanical, not an organic.

Good ideas, wgdjohn.

Skeleton Arm Start.JPG
    1188 x 547 - 62K
    edited September 2016

Skeleton arm update.  Basic parts modeled.  Classic mistake.  I have to go back and uvmap each part because I forgot to uvmap before duplicating.  Primarily an issue with finger bones.  Also will morph little bones in wrist and fingers as they are for the moment spheres and tubes.  Hierarchy is set and hot points have been moved to joints.

skeleton 1.JPG
    1595 x 776 - 112K
    skeleton 2c.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    skeleton side view.JPG
    1530 x 654 - 82K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Nice job Diomède !

One week ? It's very short, the last project wasn't finished and it started a few months ago.

Where are you Chicken ? cheeky

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

These are so cool!

With everything I've got going on, the last one was finished before I could even begin! LOL

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190

Sounds like an interesting project, but I'm in the middle of a project and as usual am running behind.  About the TOS problem, what come to mind is a Particle Illusion "emitter" titled "Bad Boy" that is just a pixelated box you can use to hide something, as they do with nudity on TV.  Attached is a screen shot, but I think the effect is more pronounced when you animate - the box can be resized and track as needed as the animation plays.  I realize not everybody has PI but maybe a plane in Carrara with a pixelated texture (animated?) could work.  

Bad Boy.jpg
    800 x 450 - 157K
    edited September 2016

Diomede, 

This sounds like an okay idea , maybe a little more complex than I was thinking but it was the first story posted, so lets go with it.  The arm skeleton looks great btw.  

Now we just need other people to help out with the modeling.  I can model the butterfly and rig it. 

Once people are done with the model just post a link to it and I will add the link to the first thread in this post.  I will just rename the title of this thread instead of starting a new one.   

Post edited by mmoir on

Okay , here is the butterfly model .  It has morph targets on the wings so they flap up and down.  

ButterflyModelImage.jpg
    940 x 708 - 42K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2016
    Steve K said:

Sounds like an interesting project, but I'm in the middle of a project and as usual am running behind.  About the TOS problem, what come to mind is a Particle Illusion "emitter" titled "Bad Boy" that is just a pixelated box you can use to hide something, as they do with nudity on TV.  Attached is a screen shot, but I think the effect is more pronounced when you animate - the box can be resized and track as needed as the animation plays.  I realize not everybody has PI but maybe a plane in Carrara with a pixelated texture (animated?) could work.  

I had to go back and read a few posts because from the image you posted I was confused about bluring. I was like, "I used to see a hot muscle studs in their chonies in the Sunday adverts..." - no bluring. blush

Post edited by DesertDude on

Looks like a club of two thus far.    Might be too closely on the heels of so many people setting aside other projects to participate in the 9 challenge.  The arm is uvmapped and after a few morphs to the fingers and wrist, I will start on the flower bouquet. 

edited September 2016

I will work on the grass over the grave. I will have morph targets so the grass opens up and then can close again.  If someone wants to do a couple of headstones then we are basically ready to animate. 

Post edited by mmoir on

Okay , here is a link to a video showing the butterfly morphs in action and the grass grave area with the morphs being used. The morphs are for opening the ground , the ground heaving for the sneezes and the grass depressing a little for the flowers being placed on the grave.  I will post the carrara files in the first post of this thread for whoever wants to animate this.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I'm watching with interest but too involved with working on an animation of my own to be directly involved. All power to you though!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,190
    Steve K said:

I had to go back and read a few posts because from the image you posted I was confused about bluring. I was like, "I used to see a hot muscle studs in their chonies in the Sunday adverts..." - no bluring. blush

wink  Right, I should have used a naked person, but I didn't have any renders handy.  I don't think anybody has batted (har) an eye at baseball players in underwear for about the last 40 years:

http://www.thepostgame.com/jim-palmer-jockey-underwear-model-orioles-pitcher

edited September 2016

I tried to upload the models for the skeleton arm and the flower to sharecg. 

SkeletonArm

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86141/browse/5/3D-Model/Arm-Skeleton-Toon

Flower

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86140/browse/5/3D-Model/FlowerToon

FlowerToonjpg.jpg
    250 x 250 - 4K
    ToonArmSkeletonJPG.jpg
    250 x 250 - 4K

Mike,

Please checkout this grave marker idea I made tonight. Let me know if I'm on the right track or you want a rectangular look. If it passes as is what should it say?... R.I.P. or have a name... also should I use boolean in Vertex modeler to engrage the words or a different approach such as a texture map. I've included the .car file zipped... anyone is welcome to make changes to it or pitch it.

GraveMarker_02.png
    640 x 480 - 236K
    zip
    zip
    GraveMarker.zip
    edited September 2016

Hey wgdjohn,

I would use a texture map but you can use whatever method works for you.  Whatever you decide on the name/RIP  is fine unless Diiomede has a comment since it is his story.  The model looks great, nice job and we should be able to start animating shortly.  smiley

I downloaded Diomede's flower/skeleton(nice job diomede) , the grave marker file and  I will set up the scene and post the the comlete carrara file so people can start animating .smiley

Post edited by mmoir on

Thanks Mike,  I'ts only good because the first tutorial I watched was your's on making a pencil... gotta get back an take a peek at the cup and eyedropper ones yet. I'm open to any suggetions... perhaps there should be a cross on top or a small base for it to sit on?? Hmm... maybe I'll finally give Baker a go and edit the map in PSP... really needs more than just RIP. I'll await further instructions on which way to turn. :)

Hey wgdjohn,  It is up to you on what you want to do . . ..     I uploaded a complete scene file showing the Gravemarker wgdjohn uploaded ,the surrounding grass,skeleton, butterfly and flowers .   Remember the GrassSource object is Morphable as well as the butterfly and flowers( I added morphs to the flower). When wgdjohn finishes the GraveMarker just add it to this scene. 

So , people can start animating this if they want. Just add the figure you want and start animating Diomede's story.  smiley

Here is the Carrara file link.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-aBvxIlPU5GOG1JUGx1WTRVaE0

and an image of the carrara scene.

PrelimSceneComplete.jpg
    1226 x 882 - 263K
    edited September 2016

I've got to get on the same page for file sharing.  I made something for the opening.  I converted some text to vertex object and then created some morphs.  Could rig the text instead.  Idea is to have the opening title placards give a gesture by wiggling the end of the word gesture and end with the wiggle up.

Text1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    Text2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
    Text3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    Text3B.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Text4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K

diomede, Just a question, perhaps a sugestion... Why not do the text in Carrara against a black background in Assembly room and the add a bend modifier to it?

A common theme of mine is that there is more than one way to do most things in Carrara.  A modifier could be used to get the same results if separate text objects were made for "The" and "Final" and "Gesture". Would work quite nicely.  Similarly, you could have separate text objects for The and Final and Gesture and then add bones to "gesture" and get similar results.  I don't claim that making morphs is better. They all work.