Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: You're doing a mighty fine job with your images. The lagoon image is fabulous, the mirror ball image is fascinating. Well done..

@Fhalo: The sun looks much better. Unless you purposefully placed the sun as you did, you might want to move the glow back toward the horizon. It currently looks like the sun is setting into the ocean. Still, very nice job.

@David: I looked at the dragon full size, it is stunning. As is Buddha. Nice job.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Something I've been working on for the last 24 hours.

I'm rendering another version of it at the moment, but it's telling me 8 hours and 18 minutes so that'll have to wait until I get back home this evening. Even then, it won't be the finished thing because I already know the polar bear is still very blue.
    I think I'll have to edit the texture in Photoshop (unless the blue is as a result of something I did to it in Poser before exporting it), then re-apply it in Poser and re-export it for Bryce. The other thing I could do I suppose is to render an object mask for the bear (there's only one on the version I'm doing at the moment) and change the hue/saturation in post work.

I think the icebergs look quite nice though. :)

Polar-Bears2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 220K
    Polar-Bears.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 216K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Something I've been working on for the last 24 hours.

I'm rendering another version of it at the moment, but it's telling me 8 hours and 18 minutes so that'll have to wait until I get back home this evening. Even then, it won't be the finished thing because I already know the polar bear is still very blue.
    I think I'll have to edit the texture in Photoshop (unless the blue is as a result of something I did to it in Poser before exporting it), then re-apply it in Poser and re-export it for Bryce. The other thing I could do I suppose is to render an object mask for the bear (there's only one on the version I'm doing at the moment) and change the hue/saturation in post work.

I think the icebergs look quite nice though. :)

That is looking quite Fantastic

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Nice Dave, yes this kind of ice effect is very difficult to achieve. I've tried several times myself with varying degrees of success.

First image with volumetric materials.

Second with TA rendering effects.

Third a new tutorial - somewhat advanced. Bryce 30 minute project - curvature filtering and lighting setups - a tutorial by David Brinnen

HB_cu_setup2_combined.jpg
    1274 x 850 - 287K
    B7_1_0_73_p24_s5_v1.jpg
    650 x 500 - 92K
    B7_0_1_34__p6_s2_v1.jpg
    650 x 500 - 83K
    edited December 1969

The problem with snow is you need sub surface scattering to really get the effect, and I am not quite sure how to accomplish this with 7.1 pro, volumetrics probably, another thing to consider is the sky, under heavy clouds and overcast, snow is not as white and glowy, clear skies and sunny, and snow practically become a light source in and of itself.

There are some really good ice textures in the pro content, which for me is a good place to start.

here we have ice but no snow, I need a really good bourbon to go with this..

Iceberg.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 1M
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey guy's been out for awhile. Been playing on Vue which I downloaded the free version pioneer. It,a chore to figure out. But I still like Bryce. I like to try all avenues of the artworks. I like all the new entries I've seen. the rain drops will be handy. well here's my latest I used David Vol-fire for the meteor after copying it twice.

Impact_(800x404).jpg
    800 x 404 - 181K
    edited December 1969

@Dave: You'd be blue too if you were swimming in that cold water. Those are two very nice images.

@David: Your latest tutorial is very informative, nicely done. I think the second Buddha has a more ancient quality to it with the slightly red color, taken together with the other colors. Both are really nice.

You both have made some nice looking ice/snow structures.

@canyon: That meteor is going to leave quite a dent in that planet. I love the foreground crater, very nice. And I like how you've occluded the stars just above the foreground crater rim and brought them back in just above where the light fades. That's a nice touch.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - nice scenes. There is snow on the ice. It is really difficult to get a natural looking iceberg.

@David - tutorial is very good. It's sort of a two part affair, material and lighting/rendering. We've seen that snow before. It really looks convincing.

@Rareth - that ice cube looks surprisingly good. Why not rotate ist a bit - or is it a 2D face?

edited December 1969

actually that texture is from the pro content pack, I believe it is one of David's

Ice cube rotated abit.

and I played around with adding a Poser model into Bryce,

James-sunset.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 865K
    icecube2.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 1M
    edited December 1969
    light_emmitter_test4_start2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Excellent and fast paced video. Enjoyed it a lot. It's always amazing what can be done with Bryce.

edited November 2012

wow that was fairly informative, I may have to play around with some of the techniques, although I should probably focus on understanding HDRI better. in the mean time.. I think its time for a drink, The ammount of knowlege and experience you guys pocess is just staggering to me, I've played around with Bryce on and off since Bryce 3d came out, but never reached the level you guys are at.

drink.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 102K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Made some changes to this.
    1, less volumous sky as previous was showing some pixellation due to the scale I think.

2, Added a fill light.

3, Moved the camera in a bit

4, got rid of the bright trees on the right.

5, Played with the contrast and brightness in p/shop

Overall I think its a better image, but you guys may have some suggestions to improve on what I have already done.
    The origional post is page 21 this thread.

Cheers
    GG

Bull_Roundup_3c.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 476K
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

kiwi_gg said:
    Made some changes to this.
    1, less volumous sky as previous was showing some pixellation due to the scale I think.

2, Added a fill light.

3, Moved the camera in a bit

4, got rid of the bright trees on the right.

5, Played with the contrast and brightness in p/shop

Overall I think its a better image, but you guys may have some suggestions to improve on what I have already done.
    The origional post is page 21 this thread.

Cheers
    GG

Well... since you ask... If you are not adversed to postwork... You've got the clouds sorted, they are good. Create a mask from everything on the ground. The strip out the clouds form your scene and without worrying what the sky looks like set up your lighting according to what you want. The clouds are the greatest strain on having advanced lighting for the ground. So rendering this scene in two parts makes sense. My suggestion would be to employ TA or a low contrast HDRI for ambient light simulation since the scene is overcast, either of these should provide the right kind of general light conditions to match your sky.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@David. Thanks for your input. I'm only working with a Dell Vostro1710 laptop here, 2.50GHz dual core,3 GB ram and a GeForce 8600M GS graphics card which is only just coping with the image as is. However I do like your suggestion, but when you say " render in 2 parts" does that mean putting the image to-gether in Pshop using layers.

Cheers
    GG

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited November 2012

David - In looking through this thread and the first, I've seen several variations on eireann.sg's image (post 68 of this thread) - I've combed these threads and looked in the brycetutorials.info site, but I can't seem to locate the tutorial for it. I believe it was about importing a Wings3D object into Bryce.

Could you post a link? (or another link, for those of us who can't see, LOL)?

Thanks,

joe

Post edited by cjreynolds on
    edited December 1969

@David: For some reason I'm unable to view your Light Emitter tutorial, though I'd like to. I ran into this on another tutorial, its name escapes me at the moment. The controls momentarily appear but just as quickly disappear. Viewed the tutorial about making your latest cube without trouble, so I've no idea what's going on.

edited December 1969

kiwi_gg said:
    @David. Thanks for your input. I'm only working with a Dell Vostro1710 laptop here, 2.50GHz dual core,3 GB ram and a GeForce 8600M GS graphics card which is only just coping with the image as is. However I do like your suggestion, but when you say " render in 2 parts" does that mean putting the image to-gether in Pshop using layers.

Cheers
    GG

Yes, you would have a render with your clouds. A render with your scene with advanced lighting. And a mask generated from your scene render that lets you put the clouds back in.

edited December 1969

David - In looking through this thread and the first, I've seen several variations on this image - I've combed these threads and looked in the brycetutorials.info site, but I can't seem to locate the tutorial for it. I believe it was about importing a Wings3D object into Bryce.

Could you post a link? (or another link, for those of us who can't see, LOL)?

Thanks,

joe

This one?

8 minute Wings3D project - two part box - a tutorial by David Brinnen

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: For some reason I'm unable to view your Light Emitter tutorial, though I'd like to. I ran into this on another tutorial, its name escapes me at the moment. The controls momentarily appear but just as quickly disappear. Viewed the tutorial about making your latest cube without trouble, so I've no idea what's going on.

Hmn... well it is playing OK on Google Chrome for me. What web browser are you using?

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone who commented on my work.

Horo said:
    I exported the image as a Hdr Image and rendered it as an IBL backdrop, with a reflective ground plane, but I got this error. Can someone explain this error? Thanks

An angular map has an aspect ratio of 1:1, it is square. Latitude/Longitude is the same as spherical or equirectangular and it has an aspect ratio of 2:1 (twice as wide as high). Bryce accepts only the aspect ratios 1:1 and 2:1 in the Radiance hdr format. This is essentially what the error means.

Nice images, though. Look like painted.

Thanks Horo. I understood that bit but I could not understand why the image I saved as a hdr image, had that error. It was a 800x400 that makes ratio 2:1. I’ll have a look at your video – the link David posted.

Why you should consider exporting your renders as HDRI - by Horo Wernli

@ Jamahoney- I like the water drops render. You can make a cool sci-fic animation with those drops.

@ David – I enjoy watching your videos over and over again, maybe someday I will understand them fully. Why don’t you do some for beginners, most of your videos are for intermediate or advance Brycers. This past week I tried the skyscraper tutorial, but did not get further than the DTE. This weekend I’ll try and do the height map in Photoshop and see how it goes. After seeing links to a more Wings 3d, videos I going to download this program now.

@ TheSavage – the icebergs are not "quite nice" they are awesome.

@ Rareth – your images are lovely.

edited November 2012

GussNemo said:

Hmn... well it is playing OK on Google Chrome for me. What web browser are you using?

I'm using Opera. Except for this one tutorial, and the tutorial whose name I don't remember, all of your other tutorials and all others I've watched play without any problems.

Ok, I just tried using IE9 to view that tutorial and it started playing like usual. It appears Opera doesn't like something associated with that tutorial. I'll have to see if there are any video settings in Opera that need set or adjusted.

Edit to add: I did some investigating at the Opera web site, and it seems You Tube is doing trials with HTML5 and unknowingly I was added to that trial; this I found out from a thread on Opera's forum. After reading one particular thread, and learning where to look in You Tube, I was able to opt out of the trial and the Light Emitter tutorial play correctly. I found out the other tutorial I couldn't watch was the optical illusion one, which now plays fine.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There is a lot of fancy stuff you can do with bryce and wings3d but I noticed you always have to clean up before you continue modifying the shape or you get funny results. Even some basic shapes have to be cleaned up after creating them
    anyway here anther pic

torusspiral.jpg
    976 x 887 - 65K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

here a render, knot, render time 20 seconds.

knotsec4d2.JPG
    1028 x 673 - 135K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I'm using Opera. Except for this one tutorial, and the tutorial whose name I don't remember, all of your other tutorials and all others I've watched play without any problems..

There is always YouTube Downloader (http://www.youtubedownloadersite.com/?force=1) which is free, but can also be purchased for faster download.

edited December 1969

@eireann.sg - nice models.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    GussNemo said:
    I'm using Opera. Except for this one tutorial, and the tutorial whose name I don't remember, all of your other tutorials and all others I've watched play without any problems..

There is always YouTube Downloader (http://www.youtubedownloadersite.com/?force=1) which is free, but can also be purchased for faster download.

Without installing something: http://www.share-tube.eu/

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Without installing something: http://www.share-tube.eu/

I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for the link!

edited December 1969

Jamie, glad to hear you got your video watching issues sorted.

mermaid010, you asked "Why don’t you do some for beginners, most of your videos are for intermediate or advance Brycers."

The answer to that is that there are 100's possibly 1000's of tutorials for beginners already made - and a lot them can be accessed through the Bryce-Tutorials.info website. So to make more would be "reinventing the wheel". What I want to cover, mostly, is tutorials that take advantage of as yet undocumented Bryce 7.1 Pro features. Tutorials that provide information that isn't available anywhere else and to promote the use of the new feature set. Many of the features in themselves are not hard to use, a beginner could easily turn IBL or TA but... a beginner would not really understand the role of these features in a way a more experienced user would instantly grasp - so I am careful to stress that the tutorials are intended for intermediate to advanced users to try to avoid confusion and frustration for beginners.

eireann.sg, nice modelling and rendering.

Some more Happy Buddha's

HB_cu_setup4_part_rendered_f.jpg
    850 x 1134 - 426K
This discussion has been closed.