So long and thanks for all the fish

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've just cancelled my subscription to the Platinum Club. Over the years I've bought over a thousand items here. I've had to make a choice betwen Poser and Daz 3D and for me Poser is the more comfortable product.

I have to say that a number of other factors also applied. Items I bought earlier have increased in price, some by 40% and prices do seem higher overall; the monthly voucher is less flexible and helpful; and many of the new items are less interesting for me. I also don't wish to spend (another) fortune moving from V/M4 to V/M5 (although just in case I've bought the DSON adapter ro investigate at some point).

But more important is to say how much Daz and your help team and forums has helped me to improve and enjoy my 3D art hobby. I shall still come here regularly. It's also a big plus that I can re-download my products if I have a problem.

So thank you very much. I wish you all well.

David

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Take care and enjoy David!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

need some tartar sauce? tee hee

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,003
    edited December 1969

Phew! I'm glad you got the fish!... I thought I might have accidently sent it to those stupid inconsiderate planet hopping dolphins again.

Well, anyway... take care!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What...the Vogons are going to be building that damn hyperspace bypass, after all?

Well, at least I know where my towel is...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

So are you still going to come here regularly or not at all? These goodbye threads really confuse me.

BTW not sure why you have to choose one or the other, i use both.....and carrara, Blender, Wings, 3DSMax, Sketchup, etc.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You got Fish, lucky person all I get is 5 freebies a month, ok one PC freebie. :) Hey just a bit of humour, Take care and have fun with whatever you do.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,003
    edited November 2012

Wait... if I decide to leave or if I die, do I have to start one these threads so I get closure? I don't think I'd want to... besides, can you even start a thread from the other side? I think the old forums used to have a "Submit Post From Beyond" button, but I don't see one here.
    Is that what necro-posting is? Who would I be providing closure for? Me or other people... if I were dead, I'd just want to haunt everyone so I don't think I'd care if anyone had closure, actually lack of closure is a major part of the haunting experience... so I wouldn't want to ruin it for everyone I was scaring the living crap out of... I think it would dull the effect.
    If I were living dead I'd just want to eat everyone's brains, so I wouldn't want people to know I was actually a zombie, thus luring them into a false sense of security and making them easier to grab and eat...
    If I were leaving because I was fleeing the country because they finally discovered my subterranean lair and and army of giant cybernetic apes (which by the way, is strictly for recreational purposes and in no way part of a plan for world domination)... where was I?... oh, yeah... in that case I'd be trying to work out setting up a new identity as dictator of a small island nation and wouldn't really be too concerned with closure either... I mean I think the whole closure thing is sort of overrated, things are always better when you never know what will happen next... Roller coasters, white water rafting, eating a sandwich at a truck stop, dating a mental patient... random bizarre spontaneity is the spice of life... and I think it's a new perfume from Calvin Klein too... actually "No Closure" would probably make a good perfume name too. What ever happened to Kate Moss? She never looked too healthy... like she could use a sandwich or some food... do super models eat? Why are they called super models? Do they have any actual super powers? I mean really, I don't think looking like a strung out heroine addict is a very useful super power... Shooting killer bees from your belly button would probably be a better super power, but only if they were trained to attack your adversary. The logistics of bee training is really too difficult because first you have to find killer bees that are willing to actually sit down at the tiny little desks you carved for them and go through the whole schooling process just so they can read the tiny training manuals... they don't really live all that long and most of them die of old age before they even complete the first semester... ah it's a real mess. In general I'd recommend just spending your time working on making functional giant cybernetic apes if you want to take over the world... other than that I prefer DAZ studio for outdoor renders and use Poser for interior shots of stuff with atmospheric effects, though I haven't really played around with DS4 enough to be sure if it has good working volumetric lighting... what the hell was this thread about?
    I need some coffee.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited November 2012

if and when i died, i would like someway to make one last post to my friends in the complaint thread.
    if i did manage to work up some protoplasmic energy and hit the submit, odds are i'd end up at the login page, the useless one, not the login page that actually works.

my only other post death 'to do' thingee would be to visit TAPS in Rhode Island. to manifest as an apparition and be more than an evp, to actually converse and tell them how much i enjoyed their investigations. and give Maddie a head sc'rch.

does after-death radio play Johnny Cash?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • novelist999novelist999 Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

davidhh said:
    I've just cancelled my subscription to the Platinum Club. Over the years I've bought over a thousand items here. I've had to make a choice betwen Poser and Daz 3D and for me Poser is the more comfortable product.

I have to say that a number of other factors also applied. Items I bought earlier have increased in price, some by 40% and prices do seem higher overall; the monthly voucher is less flexible and helpful; and many of the new items are less interesting for me. I also don't wish to spend (another) fortune moving from V/M4 to V/M5 (although just in case I've bought the DSON adapter ro investigate at some point).

But more important is to say how much Daz and your help team and forums has helped me to improve and enjoy my 3D art hobby. I shall still come here regularly. It's also a big plus that I can re-download my products if I have a problem.

So thank you very much. I wish you all well.

David

David,

I feel much the same way. I too am unhappy about the recent changes. Prices have increased a great deal, and the voucher is much less useable. And I still can't download some of my purchases. The zip files corrupt when I download them in Explorer so I had to install another browser just to download the zips. Then they're a pain to install as they don't install to the runtime folder, unlike Renderosity's and other 3Dstores. I also have to check everything I put in my cart against my previous purchases as I no longer get a warning that I'd previously purchased the item, and it's not easy to navigate the new itemized purchase list. I hope Daz gets it together soon. I too am considering cancelling. I would not be here now if I didn't believe in them and have the highest appreciation for their products.

I wish you well in your creative endeavors.

BB