Need Help with UberSurface2

Whenever I use UberSurface2 or its upgrade, it always reduces my surfaces to only five settings: UV Set, Smooth, Angle, Diffuse Color, and Opacity Strength.

Attempting to use UberSurface2 presets yields the same results.

Following the instructions on Omnifreaker's site doesn't work. Nothing matches what happens. No matter what method I use, it always ruins the surfaces.

What am I doing wrong? I am using DS4.5.1.6.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Alexa :)

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

After you apply them does the tag at the top next to the word shader change to OnUberSurface2 on the surface tab? If not what does it say? I was going to guess that you needed to update it but I honestly don't think I have and it is working properly.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Clear your log file, then load a simple sphere and apply UberSurface to it...

Look at what the log file says about loading US...

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    After you apply them does the tag at the top next to the word shader change to OnUberSurface2 on the surface tab? If not what does it say? I was going to guess that you needed to update it but I honestly don't think I have and it is working properly.

When I apply the US2 to any surface, the name changes from "Daz Studio Default" to "Custom".

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Clear your log file, then load a simple sphere and apply UberSurface to it...

Look at what the log file says about loading US...

The log file says this:

Executing DAZ Script file: R:/Shaders/UberSurface2/!UberSurface2 Upgrade.dsa
    WARNING: Invalid render time file name passed to DzShaderMaterial::SetDefinitionFile().

BTW, the version of US2 is 1.3: the latest that my reset has.

Post edited by agsears_f6a68cb825 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You're running under WINE, right?

Do you know what the partition that the shader is on is formatted as? Is it a Windows native format (NTFS) or a Linux native?

I think the file name, having a space in it, may be part of the problem. If it's a Linux native partition, that space isn't being passed on; the file name ends there, so it won't actually apply, which is why you have 'custom' listed as the shader. It never actually applied or completed loading.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You're running under WINE, right?

Do you know what the partition that the shader is on is formatted as? Is it a Windows native format (NTFS) or a Linux native?

I think the file name, having a space in it, may be part of the problem. If it's a Linux native partition, that space isn't being passed on; the file name ends there, so it won't actually apply, which is why you have 'custom' listed as the shader. It never actually applied or completed loading.

She was actually having the problem in Native Window7 and the Wine installs were working OK (all of the Linux boxes are busy ATM). I had a chance to look at it a few moments ago (it's been a REAL busy day) and found that some corruption was in the .dsa file. I reinstalled the US2 and it is working now.

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yeah I was going to say reinstalling will fix the issue. I had this last time I had to do a OS reinstall. Also all Uber lights, Uber Hair etc had to be reinstalled too.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem. But I do not know how to re-install the Uber-Lights. I have DAZ Studio 4.5, 64bit.

edited December 1969

Uber LIghts as in additional purchased ones not the ones we get with Daz Studio (sorry I should made that clear).

All I did was to run the installer again and as long you are installing to the same folder it should detect the old one and ask you if you want to uninstall the old (even if there are the same version) click yes and follow the steps.

edited December 1969

Ok, I understand. But how can I solve my problem then?

I try to use the Uber-Lights that come with DAZ Studio and have exactly the same problem as described in the first post.

What I tried is to create a light emitting surface with ShaderMixer and get the same result as in the first post. Strange.

edited November 2012

Well 4.5.1.6 Area lights should work....so I am not sure what is happeneing.

BTW your first post only mentions Uber Surface 2 but no lights.

We really need to know what lights your are trying to use. Area Lights, Uber Environment?????? Did you install Genesis Start Essentials 1.6? when you installed Daz Studio 4.5.1.6?

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I am using the latest version DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 64bit on Windows 7 64 bit.

Did a clean install of everything (Windows and all programs) a few days ago. Before that it worked fine.

edited December 1969

Sorry another bad day I didn't realise you are not the OP poster, may bad.

edited December 1969

That is true. Sorry for not saying that more clearly. But I did not want to start another topic for the same problem, so I posted it here.

edited December 1969

No it is me...I have been having serious computer problems, not much sleep and stressed out.

So let us start again. What lights are you trying to use excatly? Area Lights?

edited December 1969

Yes, applying them with ShaderMixer.

edited December 1969

Sorry why with Shader Mixer? Why not use them as intended, just select your surface apply the UberSurface Light Base preset and adjust to taste.

edited December 1969

I read a tutorial somewhere in the forums of how to create light emitting surfaces (e.g. to create glowing eyes or something like that). And in this tutorial it was done with the ShaderMixer. And as I am still a bit of a noob ( :-) ) I did it exactly this way. But I will also try what you said. Maybe it works better then.

edited December 1969

Yes I would use the Base Preset so much easier as it is all there for you in one hit. Just remember to Turn ON Ambient in the Surfaces Pane for the light emitting surface.

edited December 1969

Ok, I will try it. Thank you!

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited November 2012

Can someone else try US2 "Stucco" with 4.5.1.6?

It is failing against 4.5.1.6 with:

3Delight message #2 (Severity 2): S2103: recompilation of shader 'C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2.sdl' failed with code 256
    3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2068: shader 'C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2.sdl' uses a different interface version: please recompile
    3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2051: cannot load shader 'omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2', will use 'defaultsurface'
    omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2', will use 'defaultsurface'

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Can someone else try US2 "Stucco" with 4.5.1.6?

It is failing against 4.5.1.6 with:

3Delight message #2 (Severity 2): S2103: recompilation of shader 'C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2.sdl' failed with code 256
    3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2068: shader 'C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/shaders/omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2.sdl' uses a different interface version: please recompile
    3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2051: cannot load shader 'omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2', will use 'defaultsurface'
    omnifreaker/surface/omUberSurface2', will use 'defaultsurface'

Kendall

I just tried the specific "Stucco" preset quickly and it is working here. The error message indicates that the automatic recompile is failing, other presets work alright?