Faeryls Questions About Daz ?????

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,273
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I am in the middle of making an outfit for Genesis and undecided exactly how to do the bones. There are several products both pay and free one's that I like a lot and want to take a look at how the bones were used in them. Is there a way to view the bone structure of a piece of clothing in the new Daz? I am hoping by seeing how bones are done in these other clothes that I will have a better idea of how I should do mine.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Two ways to see the bones, one is with the Joint Editor, the other is in the Parameters tab (see pic).

Couple of pointers, when it comes to the rig you can use either Genesis or one of the autofit Projection Templates, and using Transfer Utility you can copy the rig and WM directly into your mesh, then all you need to do is a little tidy up of the WM, yep it really is that easy to rig items for Genesis.
    Always model around the default Genesis shape, and use an ungrouped welded mesh (AKA single skin mesh). When it comes to morphs don't rely on the auto generated ones DS puts in your clothing, they are fine for skin tight outfits, but totally useless as is for anything else, however they can be used as a base to help you make your own.

Bones2.jpg
    725 x 569 - 226K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,273
    edited December 1969

Thank you, all that was very helpful. I will study the bones of other clothes to get idea's of how best to apply bones to my clothes. I really like the clothes made by AerySoul/AlfaSeed and thought they would be a good study as well as other artists whose clothes I like.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

In general you don't have any choice about how you apply bones - the only ones that are optional are those that don't occur in the wearer, such as skirt handles. As Bejaymac said, the Transfer utility will do the setup for you - and for the bones you'd be asking for trouble not to use it as a conformer needs the joint centres to match the base figure. You may want to add some additional boner later, and to adjust the weight maps, however - for that you really need to be looking at Genesis clothing since the older Poser figures used a different system, and the Poser weight-mapping is also a different system (assuming you have Poser to inspect it, since it won't open in DS).

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Let's see, where's that old skirt tutorial in the archive? Aha. Here it is.

edited December 1969

Thank you Richard...it's a shame really because Aery Soul/AlfaSeed have made such beautiful stuff and they are so easy to work with, however I don't think they have yet created anything for Genesis. I will be using the base bone set up in Daz as you and others have suggested to start with, though I do plan on adding extra bones to give the item more movement. It really bugs me how limited some clothes are due to there only being a limited number of bones. I will be buying some Genesis Daz clothes soon and can check those out as you suggested. Once my outfit is made, I will have to figure out how to make it available to the poser community as well...but one step at a time...lol...I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself.

Sickle thank you for the link and will be going over those tutorials in the next day or two to get myself started on boning my items. If you don't mind, I would like to take the information and images and put them in a pdf I can use on my computer. I am waiting for my brother to send me my computer and monitor and then use the old P4 to view video's and such while working on the dual core. It's too hard on my eyes otherwise...I really should be wearing my glasses...lol

edited December 1969

It's always a good idea to save out forum tutorials to PDF if they're useful to you.

edited November 2012

Now that I have changed the title to suit my many questions...lol

Sickle...I always save pages and video's and what not on the off chance I lose the net, that way I always have access to the tutorials, and I save them to disk. By and by it's always nice to ask the person who's information you want to save.

I have two new questions.

#1 I bought a rather large mega pack of poses from Renderosity a few years ago and thought how nice it would be if they worked on Genesis. I know there is a product here I can buy that fixes that whole Gen4 to Genesis problem for poses, but I can't afford that right now. Is it legal to recreate those poses for Genesis? I would not be applying the pose and then tweaking, I would have an image and simply load Genesis and try to pose it the same way and save it.

#2 I am trying to find a post or something that explains all the file paths for the latest Daz 4.5 I am asking due to having to uninstall and reinstall Daz because the folder system went haywire. I have most the files cleared out and using a program from microsoft that will hunt down anything that remains, including what's in the registry. The other reason is a morph I downloaded from ShareCG and the artist did not give file paths in the readme, as well as not having the folders set up properly that I usually follow to install manually. I want to make sure when I reinstall the program that everything goes where it's suppose to and that when I manually install content, I put them in the right place. I have been getting confused about where to put stuff from what I have read so far. I keep reading about how there is a difference in placement between Daz and Poser and how they can't share the same folder (despite both being in My Library) that some goes in content and some in runtime (even though both content and runtime are in content), as well as the difference between old and new Daz content and then old and new Poser content. It's a safe bet I am utterly confused at the moment (might be cause I am taking in too much information...lol)..

Any help with these two questions would be good. I can still work in my clothes in Hex but need Daz to check it out and make sure everything works alright.

OOOOPs...forgot something. When I was searching the files to see what format they contained, I came across one that had DSON files in it. Now since I like to keep things neat and clean and those files are for Poser users, can I delete them?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/oxygen

Poses made for other figures do work on genesis but need to be tweaked to look right.
    The gen3 poses actually seem to work a bit better than the gen4 poses.

edited November 2012

Here's what I use. http://www.sharecg.com/v/60135/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-V4-pose-adjust-script

I've got a custom action for it to ctrl+q because I use it so much (I love Structure's free poses from Rendo, you see). It's not perfect but it really helps a lot.

EDIT for additional info: Yes, if you don't have PP2012 or P9 you can delete the DSON files. You can install everything to your DS4 My Library, because that will contain a Runtime folder. If you map to that folder in Poser your Poser content shows up just fine. I have around four runtimes, not the most efficient way, but both PP2012 and DS4 can find them all.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Let's see, where's that old skirt tutorial in the archive? Aha. Here it is.

Bookmarked, as I too use Blender. ;-)
    edited December 1969

I am reinstalling Daz since the folder placements were messed up. Didn't install correctly for some reason and now I think I know why.

When it comes to installing the Essentials and I read you are to install the default method, the file path is not to my library. Check image to see what I mean. Should I use the custom install instead and make sure it goes to Documents....My Library so everything installs there?

Installation_Path.jpg
    665 x 381 - 63K
    edited December 1969

They should go where your DAZ install is.

edited December 1969

What do you mean by where Daz is installed? In the last couple of years, with each upgrade, I find files all over my computer, makes it bloody mess to clean out when I uninstall. When I installed this time I let it install to the same place as always...it installs to Programs (86) and the My Library is under Documents. The two images below will explain what I mean and what I need to know is..do I let the Essentials install to the default settings which gives the path in the image above or do I use custom install and direct it to My Library?

C_Drive_Files.jpg
    777 x 440 - 105K
    Documents_Installation.jpg
    684 x 455 - 75K
    edited November 2012

I should explain that the only thing in the my library folder right now is the script folder you see listed. There is no runtime folder or content folder or such anywhere in those two places.

edited December 1969

You need to install it to My Library. Never, ever assume the default location in the installer is the correct one.

edited December 1969

Thanks...will do that now and then run the program and make sure everything loads correctly.

edited December 1969

Ok everything installed and is working properly....except....my runtime folder is missing a few things, like the rest of the folders normally found in a runtime setup ????? Also...there is no content folder that I am use to seeing ????? The image below shows you all the folder in My Library and what is in the runtime folder. I am asking about this due to conflicting information of where to manually put files for things.

I first discovered a problem when trying to install a morph for Genesis and there was one folder that gave no indication of where it's suppose to go and the readme gave no information of where to put it.

This is the item in question, it has two folders. I know where the data files go but have no clue where the files in shaping are suppose to go...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/57817/

Runtime_SetUp.jpg
    644 x 591 - 105K
    edited December 1969

Ok the person who made the ears is helping me with them...I still need to know why I am missing folders in the runtime setup and what to do about the lack of a content folder?

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/oxygen

Poses made for other figures do work on genesis but need to be tweaked to look right.
    The gen3 poses actually seem to work a bit better than the gen4 poses.

This product allows you to transfer poses to/from various figures:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/posemaster-people-pack

edited December 1969

Oh I know about the Pose Pak, it's in my wish list, I just can't afford it right now, thank you for the link though.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you are using DS 4.x then My Library REPLACES the Content folder...

The rest of the stuff in the Runtime...have you installed any content that needs those folders?

edited December 1969

Not yet, though I will be later this evening. I have an external runtime setup that I downloaded from someone who created it for those who want to use an external. It has all the necessary folders that I am missing and I could copy the missing files into the runtime and then have a proper set up ????? I just wasn't sure if there was a particular reason behind an incomplete runtime in My Library and that maybe I had missed something along the way ?????

edited December 1969

In DS4 and up, the Runtime folder is mostly used for textures. Until you install Poser content, that's all you're really going to see there.

Instead Genesis content is under My Library--People--Genesis, and in that folder are folders called Hair, Clothing, Characters, etc. Some people make their character sets install to Presets instead for some reason, so be sure to check there as well when installing products. Fortunately most people have come alongside the idea of putting materials in the folder with an item instead of under presets--materials (which is more like the old Poser system and which I do not care for).

edited December 1969

I am a huge fan of Dynamic clothes and hair, of which those are made for Daz and not Poser. However. there are many Gen 4 characters with textures that I still like, not to mention all those wonderfully made props people have been so generous to give, including yourself Sickle (as well as my paid one's), which would need the poser runtime. What I need to know is if that runtime pointed out in the image above is the poser runtime these things need to be installed to ????? and if so, I should copy those folders into so it's set up properly ?????

Materials throws me for a loop...both Daz and Poser use them, yet they are vastly different from each other, which is a shame because there have been some absolutely gorgeous shader materials made for Poser and no matter how hard you try you just can't get a Daz render to look the same as a Poser one when it comes to shaders. I am with you on preferring Daz to Poser in this regard, I have seen the Poser material room, 5 seconds later I left and never went back...lol

edited December 1969

Yep, if you're wanting to use this runtime for both, your runtime/libraries/etc. content should go there.

edited December 1969

Thank you Sickle and thank you everyone else for your help. Now I can get back to making the outfit. I'm trying really hard to make something someone hasn't already made...not an easy task...lol

edited December 1969

I have a new issue with regards to texturing and using transmaps for transparencies. I have been trying to texture an outfit and part of it has a mesh on it. Problem is the mesh will not show up black like it's suppose to. I have run several tests to try and get it black with no luck. I can use other colors and they will show up, though not very clearly. Part of the problem is how you apply textures you make and the button placement in this new Daz has changed from previous versions, so I am not sure I am putting the transmaps under the correct button. If I try to google the tutorials around the net for doing transparencies they are all for older versions of Daz and the Daz tutorial sections, though still available, have no images I can view to see if I am even doing it correctly.

The image below shows the top I am making the textures for, I finally figured out how to get it to apply transparency, yet as you see, the mesh is not black, it's more like dirty white. Are there any new tutorials for doing transparencies in the new Daz available?, preferably with pictures.

Image1.png
    335 x 257 - 111K
    edited December 1969

It's an optical illusion because your mesh is very fine (this would happen in IRL if you wore mesh this fine also). If you enlarge the mesh texture you used to about 1.5 times that size before adding to your textures, the mesh will look blacker.

edited December 1969

I didn't think I had it that fine, though will enlarge that part of the texture and see what happens.