Auto Backup - Auto Save

Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Most of the CAD packages I use have a feature which can be enabled and the time set to do auto backups and/or auto saves. Most create a temp file, so that even if you haven't saved a new work at all, if it crashes you have the option to recover to where you were. This would be a great feature for Daz Studio and for that matter all of the Daz product line.

I find I get distracted by the creation process and then suddenly I'm some hours into it and on rare occasions.... BOOM!!!!

"Fatal Error!!! Daz must be closed."

:(

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited November 2012

Don't forget that, at least before 4.5, DS could take a long time to save. 4.5 is much better, at least with native content, so perhaps an auto-save feature is now practical. You can always make a feature request, or add a comment to an existing request, in the bug tracker - http://bugs.daz3d.com

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

OH! So Daz Studio I guess is not considered a 'product'. So this area is for content only?

I too have noticed even on 4.5 that the first save can take a while... particularly if I have loaded a lot before that first save. But subsequent saves seem to zip out pretty fast. It it were doing this like every 15 minutes, I don't think I would mind at all. But, as with most of the ones that do this, having an adjusting area where you can set it on or off and how often would be the most perfect solution. So, I should head on over to the feature request list.

Thanks Richard.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Product Suggestions is mainly for content - there's no reason not to mention an application feature, but it won't usually be seen by the dev team (but n the other hand you will get more users seeing it and perhaps commenting than you would for a feature request on the bug tracker).

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

dumorian said:
    Most of the CAD packages I use have a feature which can be enabled and the time set to do auto backups and/or auto saves. Most create a temp file, so that even if you haven't saved a new work at all, if it crashes you have the option to recover to where you were. This would be a great feature for Daz Studio and for that matter all of the Daz product line.

I find I get distracted by the creation process and then suddenly I'm some hours into it and on rare occasions.... BOOM!!!!

"Fatal Error!!! Daz must be closed."

:(

I love the idea of auto backup feature. I would love an auto restore feature too.... As mentioned in the thread I posted. I spent 3 days trying to convert my old directory to a new computer. That was 3 days I'd rather have done 3d!