In Order for Daz to become a Standalone Program

arth_darth_d Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I installed Daz a while ago and thought it was great. But after a few days of work found that it has a long way before Daz can be used as a standalone program. I found myself using Daz's library for modelling and then exporting as fbx into 3dsmax. Mainly due to the fact of no support for hair and dynamic clothes. For still renders Daz is great. But i don't see the point of having awesome features such as puppeteer if you cant animate hair yet. The Update for Carrara 8.5 has been in beta for years. In order to become a true stand alone program these will have to be addressed. Hopefully in Version 5.

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Here's hopin'. Cheers!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

No programs can truely be a stand alone but just another in the production pipeline for the end user. Where it fits in will depend on the user.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    No programs can truely be a stand alone but just another in the production pipeline for the end user. Where it fits in will depend on the user.

I don't know...Blender seems awfully darn close. And while it has improved a lot over the last few updates, as far as UI and ease of use, it's not exactly the easiest/friendliest program to use and there are things, that while it can do them, are much easier to do elsewhere.

The big question is, which is more important...being able to do everything or being able to do it easily enough that you can get it done within a reasonable time frame?

Right now, with just about all 3D apps...it's pretty clear that even if it can do it all, there are other programs more suited for a particular task that allows one to work faster, than trying to do it all in a single program.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ is the company, Studio is the program. Carrara, Bryce, and Hexagon are also DAZ.

Before genesis and studio 4 I could work on the dynamic clothing in studio 3 and then move the animation to carrara for hair and to finish staging. That hasn't worked in quite some time.

And I don't know what is going on with DAZ and carrara, the temp serial has ran out 3 times since the last update. I have to wonder if DAZ is still actually working on it.

• edited December 1969

Yes, most companies refer to the usage of several softwares as a "Pipeline" ... such as Zbrush to 3DSMax to UDK ....... You could add Blender to your Pipeline ... Use the Cloth Sim and Sculpt tools to make morphs .. for your hair ... then animate the morphs .. the old-school way ..... It's much easier than waiting for Dynamics ........ Poser or DSXXX