Sometimes DS4 can't find the textures?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Some figures, even when they have DS4 settings, don't seem to work right in DS4. Two such figures being Caleb and another being Addy's Daniel.

If i'm in the basic runtime, i can load the poser skins just fine, but if i'm in the upper ladder, where the Genesis stuff is and the Daz specific files are, the files aren't working. They ask me to load EVERY SINGLE TEXTURE manaully, and it's a MAJOR PITA to do it every time I use those characters (and I like them a LOT) and it's driving me absolutely batty!

Can I edit the files or anything to make them work properly? i don't get why some characters work fine (my other characters by Addy work fine, for example, I have no clue why 'danelle' does not ).

Any suggestions?
Thing is, it SAYS "could not find texture...." and then lists the correct directory, where it IS indeed located, but when I open to find the file, it doesn't take me to that location and i have to dig through the texture files to get it.

Comments

• alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited November 2012

I have problems in DS4 with Addy's Zoey as well. It loads the correct HSS settings but not the skins. My work-around is to apply the skins manually and save them as Material Presets in DS. Hope this helps.

AL

Post edited by alken on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The main issue is that the Poser files (.pz2) use relative file paths ("Runtime:textures:xxx:texturefiel.jpg) while the DS specific files are save with absolute file paths (C:Program file\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime....). You can edit the files only if they are .ds or.dsa. The material settings will be at the bottom of the file. A file editor like Edit-Pad lite has a search & replace function that will let you edit the file paths easily & quickly

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited November 2012

how do i make it save properly? when I save it only lets it save as a txt file. :(
    I must add that I absolutely want to fix them... they are favorite textures for me (I love EVERYTHING by Addy!!) And I use them so frequently that it not loading properly is driving me BATTY!

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited November 2012

The highlighted area of the attached pic is how DS saves it's pathways in DS, DSA & DSB formats, it uses relative paths the same as Poser, the only time if gives me an absolute path is when I load the textures from an unregistered directory, and then save a preset.

DS4 pro comes with the Script IDE plugin, this allows you to edit DS, DSA & DSB files directly in Studio (that's where the screenie was taken), that way you can see if it's an absolute path or if there's a typo in the pathway, to use it right click the DS/DSA/DSB file and select "Open in DAZ Script IDE", then expand the pane to see the data.

The Script IDE used to be part of the Script dev kit so most people never knew it existed, but it's an extremely handy tool to have.

pathways.jpg
    644 x 369 - 421K
    Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    The highlighted area of the attached pic is how DS saves it's pathways in DS, DSA & DSB formats, it uses relative paths the same as Poser, the only time if gives me an absolute path is when I load the textures from an unregistered directory, and then save a preset.

DS4 pro comes with the Script IDE plugin, this allows you to edit DS, DSA & DSB files directly in Studio (that's where the screenie was taken), that way you can see if it's an absolute path or if there's a typo in the pathway, to use it right click the DS/DSA/DSB file and select "Open in DAZ Script IDE", then expand the pane to see the data.

The Script IDE used to be part of the Script dev kit so most people never knew it existed, but it's an extremely handy tool to have.

wow... i do believe i love you now! thank you :D

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The times I've saved material presets; the file path was saved as absolute. & it was to a mapped directory.

Thanks for pointing out the Script IDE plugin. I've got a few binary files that are giving me issues loading textures & this should help me to fix them.

edited November 2012

Dammit... well that script ide works with fixing Danielle's paths, but Caleb is in the (very annoying) DUF format so I can't edit it. NONE of it works. It was made for genesis, why won't it work??? Grrrr. Not the inj files, not the textures, it just won't work.

Edit: bother... I think I may be missing files for Caleb, so i go to reinstall, and discover that the order that caleb was in was mistakenly closed for some reason. I had gotten 2 of the items in that order refunded, and somehow it ended up closing the entire order.... and yeah just got the refund for 2 things, not the whole order, so it can't be that.... all the other items are removed from my itemized order history so I can't download them anymore either... sigh.

Must be that the daz sales support is just too stressed out with all the mistakes in the last couple sales..... :(

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

The duf files are compressed, they're basically zip-files. You can open them with your favo zip-program, the file inside is a text file just like the ds, dsa and dsb files.
    There's a batch convert tool in DS4.5 so you don't have to extract them all manually, but haven't used it myself yet.

edited December 1969

The duf files are compressed, they're basically zip-files. You can open them with your favo zip-program, the file inside is a text file just like the ds, dsa and dsb files.
    There's a batch convert tool in DS4.5 so you don't have to extract them all manually, but haven't used it myself yet.

Um my zip program 7-zip fails to open it, not working.... :(

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

definitely put in a bug report for the ones that aren't working - the original products will stay unfixed unless they know about it. :)

edited December 1969

well i may have installed half of it, I want to reinstall but like I said, the item is erroneously missing from my account history so I can't redownload it.... waiting on sales support to get it again. yay. >_<</p>