Using DSON on Hair

TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm trying to make hair work for Poser using DSON. I have everything installed properly and up to date, Poser 2012 Pro with latest update.

I'm not having any luck. Is there a tutorial for doing this specifically?

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Maybe you should be more specific and say which hair is giving you problems?

• TaishoBeeTaishoBee Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Well none, really. I was just looking for a tutorial in general. Sorry!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Hair should be no different from other props or figures.

edited December 1969

Hair should be no different from other props or figures.

Hmm okay. I'm not having any luck with the hair working. I'm working with the Bubblegum hair right now. I'm not sure what to post info wise so you can help me, but nothing shows up and all of the scaling parameter dials are at 0. It doesn't change anything if I set them to anything higher.

edited December 1969

Did it come with companion files or is it something you've converted yourself?

edited December 1969

Did it come with companion files or is it something you've converted yourself?

It's one without companion files. I have saved it as a duf.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited November 2012

It has been updated for DSON, just reset your download.

Or you can use .duf you have created,

Right click Content Library tab and flyout comes, select "Create Poser companion files" and new box fly out
    Check radio buttons for "selected *.duf files" and "use this library"-->HR2 (metadata not needed, but you can use if you have it)
    Click "Accept" and is done, new hr2 will appear in Hair folder "DSON Conversions" by default in Poser.

Post edited by Medzin on
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    It has been updated for DSON, just reset your download.

Or you can use .duf you have created,

Right click Content Library tab and flyout comes, select "Create Poser companion files" and new box fly out
    Check radio buttons for "selected *.duf files" and "use this library"-->HR2 (metadata not needed, but you can use if you have it)
    Click "Accept" and is done, new hr2 will appear in Hair folder "DSON Conversions" by default in Poser.

Okay I did exactly as you said and this is what happens. (Screenshot)

Screen_shot_2012-11-05_at_6.04_.17_PM_.png
    1440 x 900 - 409K
    edited November 2012

On this particular hair, I noticed that it does not bring over textures if you are saving the PCF as textured.
    The transparency is set to 1.0 in Poser and the hair not seen.
    If you had brought over the untextured model, it would appear as such.

You will have to save one or more of the hair shaders as material presets and bring those over as companion files and apply them

Apply the color you want, hit add button in lower left and save as "Material Preset" then make PCF .mc6 from those and apply in Poser

phbubb.jpg
    600 x 336 - 18K
    Post edited by Medzin on
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    On this particular hair, I noticed that it does not bring over textures if you are saving the PCF as textured.
    The transparency is set to 1.0 in Poser and the hair not seen.
    If you had brought over the untextured model, it would appear as such.

You will have to save one or more of the hair shaders as material presets and bring those over as companion files and apply them

Apply the color you want, hit add button in lower left and save as "Material Preset" then make PCF .mc6 from those and apply in Poser

Okay hmm.. I did this, and the hair shows as having 'None' in the material room. I can't add anything to it.

It's completely invisible, even though I have tried parenting it to Genesis's head.

If there aren't any materials, is that why it's not showing up? Or is it something else causing the dials to be all at 0, including scales?

Screen_shot_2012-11-06_at_12.05_.00_AM_.png
    1440 x 900 - 498K
  • callifcallif Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

If you switch to wireframe preview can you see the hair's mesh?

Try to reload the material :
    select the hair - click on the little triangle in the top right of the preview window - select "reload textures"

Post edited by callif on
    edited November 2012

The problem you are having is related to the .duf file.
    By way of background, the hair figure file only contains a command to execute the .py file in that folder.
    The python script will process the .duf into what ever.
    I would try resaving the original .dsf as .duf, but this time change change Vendor name to yourself (or anything).
    That puts it in different chain in case it is overwriting something pertaining to original.
    It may be necessary to reinstall the hair in case the conversion did overwrite something

Post edited by Medzin on
    edited December 1969

Are you absolutely sure that \Data\Michelle\Hair\PH Bubblegum is in one of the folders you have selected as an external library folder in Poser?

edited December 1969

Are you absolutely sure that \Data\Michelle\Hair\PH Bubblegum is in one of the folders you have selected as an external library folder in Poser?

OP is using PP2012, making library external is usually only necessary in Poser 9.
    I believe the "\data..." files are not created to the first running of the figure file and should appear in the same runtime you are working in

edited December 1969

I meant a library folder, not the library pane, when I wrote external library. I'm not sure what the current official term is - we always used to say Runtimes but that seems not to be used as often. Any way, the path i gave is the path for the actual "definition" files, placed by the core installers, and that is where the geometry, uv maps and morphs live so Poser needs access to it - either in the same library folder as the companion files or in another that is selected in Poser as an external library/Runtime folder.

edited December 1969

I meant a library folder, not the library pane, when I wrote external library. I'm not sure what the current official term is - we always used to say Runtimes but that seems not to be used as often. Any way, the path i gave is the path for the actual "definition" files, placed by the core installers, and that is where the geometry, uv maps and morphs live so Poser needs access to it - either in the same library folder as the companion files or in another that is selected in Poser as an external library/Runtime folder.

I'm not sure I understand, but my program is here:

Applications/Poser Pro 2012/Runtime/

the Runtime I have everything saved to including where the companion files are installed here:

Macintosh/Users/Mel/Documents/Daz/

edited November 2012

You did install the core files there too? Do you have Macintosh/Users/Mel/Documents/Daz/Data/Michelle/Hair/PH Bubblegum there?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

You did install the core files there too? Do you have Macintosh/Users/Mel/Documents/Daz/Data/Michelle/Hair/PH Bubblegum there?

Hmm originally it was in

Macintosh/Users/Mel/Documents/Daz/Runtime/Data/Michelle/Hair/PH Bubblegum

That happens alot.. I dunno why. I don't have it set that way. But anyway I movied it to the path you gave and totally oh man you fixed it!!

Why is DSON saving them to the wrong data folder?

Thank you so so so so so much.. I had no idea this was the problem!! You are my hero of the next five years. :)

edited December 1969

Glad that enabled you to solve it. DS, and installers, do keep several diferent last used paths which can lead to things not going where they should have - I've been bitten by that more than once.

edited December 1969

Glad that enabled you to solve it. DS, and installers, do keep several diferent last used paths which can lead to things not going where they should have - I've been bitten by that more than once.

Okay well I have to say that's annoying but at least I know to watch for it.