Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• Half LifeHalf Life Posts: 479
    edited December 1969

I'll be very interested in seeing if this can be made to work for Maxwell Render hair: http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Hair+and+Fur

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Windows7 64bit, DazStudio 4.5.1.6
    Intel Core i7-2700K , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448, 32 GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    I would say that's pretty much the ideal setup for using garibaldi. It's far better than my desktop machine.

Kerya said:
    The tightWavesExample01.duf is looking for textures that aren't there - the Journeyer scout textures I have are without an addition _DC at the end of the name ... but the hair looks great!
    I tried to remove the textures from the file in the email, must have missed some. I guessing it may be due to that scene being make on a mac.
    Kerya said:

The first time I created a primitive sphere and played with all the tabs until I came to the Tweak tab. That was reacting very slowly, and then ... crash.

The sphere again. I didn't know it was going to be such a popular test character. I think it's time it did some tests on it.

Now it crashes each time I am trying to select a second part of the hairs to style.

Is still with the sphere?

Sometimes I can't paint the density map ... closing Garibaldi and Edit / Edit Garibaldi hair again worked.

I belive there a issue where the camera needs to be moved before the the paint works. That might be it?

Is it possible to select all the guiding hairs?
    Not sure why you need to select all the hairs. Having no style curves selected will cause the styling tools to affect every curve too.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm having a problem getting it to install...I'm figuring that since I'm running in WINE the installer is choking.

The installer is crashing with an unspecified error.

I just got power back last night and didn't have much time to play with it. I'm going to give it another shot today and see if I can get it to install.

edited December 1969

samc said:
    Here is my 2nd try with the plugin. The first was more a birds nest than hair. I have been getting some crashes when trying to do long hair.

Looks great...
    If you can isolate the action that causes the crash emailing the details would be much appreciated.
    edited December 1969

Any chance to still get in on the beta? Windows 7 64 bit with 4.5.1.6 pro daz studio here. I used to do some beta testing for daz a few years back and I wouldn't mind the chance to give this a test run at all. Feel free to pm or email me.

It's a open beta, just go to the website and sign up for free. You will automatically emailed a link to the download.
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    One thing I found out: the cursor for Dazstudio changes to a fist and stays a fist, even in DS ... LOL

Yeah is on the list of issues to fix. Sometimes (not often) the cusor gets suck as the grab/'fist' icon when using the navigation tools in garibaldi. Unfortually the only way to fix this I know off is to restart Daz Studio.
    Personally when using a three button mouse I use the alt(Win)/command(Mac) and drag feature to navigate the camera.
    You can press the little house button above the navigation tools to reset the camera to the default view.
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    By the way: I think I cranked the distribution amount toooooo high on my sphere tests - that made it probably crash.

Yeah, so at the moment Garibaldi doesn't have any checks for using too much memory... So careful with some of the sliders...
    I normally keep an eye on the memory usage in the task manager when using a lot of hair on a machine with limited RAM.
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Is there a way to paint with Symmetry or on both sides at once...?
    There no symmetry in garibaldi. It's not planned for version 1.
    Also when Painting when I change the Density of the Brush isn't that supposed to make the different shades correspond with the length of hair Generated...?Like white is longest and Dark grey shorter...?

Changing the shade of grey of the density texture map will change the amount of follicles in that area.
    By changing the lengths of the style curves you will change the length of the hair.
    Additional variation can be added with the random length deformer in the tweak workspace.
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Well, I'm having a problem getting it to install...I'm figuring that since I'm running in WINE the installer is choking.

Well WINE is not going to be officially supported (I hope you can understand). but if you send me a email I can send you zip of the files loose so you can install them manually.
    edited December 1969

Half Life said:
    I'll be very interested in seeing if this can be made to work for Maxwell Render hair: http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Hair+and+Fur

Version 1 of garibaldi is concentrating on the internal 3Delight daz studio renderer.
    I haven't ruled out the possibility of supporting other external renders in the future. But it's far from the priority at the moment.
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I noticed I can only use this on Genesis atm. Will the plugin be updated to support other figures in the future?

It should work on any daz figure, modern or legacy.
    Send me a email detailing the character you're having issues with and hopefully we will be able to resolve the issue for the next beta.

Let me try again. I did not poke at it for long.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited November 2012

It's very similar to Carrara so I had no trouble getting started.

I would have posted a sample but for some reason the hair stopped appearing in renders and conforming to Genesis after something I did. Also for some reason I could not get the clumping to do anything.

Some requests:

- Symmetry wherever it makes sense
    - Hair length brush
    - Select brush (more convenient than the current rectangle select)
    - Tool to reset selected hairs, or reset brush (edit: looks like this can be done with surface attract)
    - Configurable undo limits
    - Option to exclude hair from raytracing (edit: apparently there is something already, I just don't know what it does)
    - Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

Looking forward to further developments, so far this looks very promising :)

Post edited by araneldon on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    - Some sort of safeguards against excessive memory usage. 64 bit apps can easily bring the system down because Windows is utterly useless in controlling unruly applications. I had to reset my computer after fiddling with a setting without knowing what it does :oops:

I second that...been having a good time playing with one of the test files, but with trying to use the preset lights, it quickly eats RAM when trying to generate the shadowmaps. Turning off the shadowmaps, still gets a very high memory usage during a render, but 'doable'. 4 GB is barely enough.

The curves are very, very RAM intensive...more so than anything else with this.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the feedback, James. I know now what to look out for, and will start testing Genesis instead of the sphere.

I meant my machine is one of the cheapest on the market for a Win7 64 bit quad core, and 6 Gigs of RAM. The system is only a year old, so I think all the environment variables will work fine with Garibaldi.

I think my card meets the minimum specs, but I do know it is shared RAM. I think it states 64 MB's, but I've seen internal parameters state it using a base of 1024 MB from my RAM. I will have to research this, but I believe I should be o.k. for testing of the hair system.

araneldon:

Check out James' post #209 on page 14.

I had the same issue with the Clumping tool, and he explains how size and settings are probably the issue. Adjust accordingly.

• HellKoreaHellKorea Posts: 17
    edited November 2012

i'm on testing Garibaldi Express.
    it's very very cool.

But I don't know how to animate this hair.

It's done with Intel i3, Win7, 8G ram (with my poor PC ;>)

and Where can i get the serial number?

11040007.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
    11040006.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by HellKorea on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    It's very similar to Carrara so I had no trouble getting started.

I would have posted a sample but for some reason the hair stopped appearing in renders and conforming to Genesis after something I did. Also for some reason I could not get the clumping to do anything.

Some requests:

- Hair length brush
    - Tool to reset selected hairs, or reset brush (edit: looks like this can be done with surface attract)
    - Option to exclude hair from raytracing (edit: apparently there is something already, I just don't know what it does)

I concur with araneldon. I would like symmetry in both the paint, style, and tweak sections.

I like the concept of a selection brush but would also like a select all and a deselect all button.

I had a strange problem with the paint and distribute section in that there was a visible line where hair was not created and I painted and repainted the areas but to no avail. The hairless line was along a section where the face uv map and the body uv map meet.

GaribaldiBeta003.jpg
    1445 x 945 - 90K
    GaribaldiBeta002.jpg
    1441 x 945 - 114K
    GaribaldiBeta.jpg
    1443 x 946 - 117K
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited November 2012

Very interesting and promising!
    I have worked with all plugins for 3DS Max Hair and Garibaldi in my opinion is very easy and intuitive.

My suggestion is to include a style tool similar to "Puff Roots" of 3DS Max, which is described in help:

"Puff Roots :
    Pushes selected guide hairs toward a perpendicular orientation to the surface. The bias for this tool is closer to the root of the hair than to the endpoint."

A "Reset Curve" and "Smooth Curve" tools also would be welcome.

It will help a lot to provide more natural and realistic style.

Keep your work, I will be an user !

Post edited by ekoham on
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I haven't had time to even look at all the tutorials which I think will make a huge difference - all I've done is open it up and play for a second. Seriously cool, though I have a LOT to figure out...

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Here is a ponytail.... but when I add a texture to genesis... the hair vanishes.. tried to go back to Garibaldi editer and tweaked and moved the camera... still gone. This is a nice looking system but it easily overwhelmed my system if I do more than a simple hair or work with a character instead of the bare genesis.

ponytail_gone_.png
    1024 x 1024 - 566K
    ponytail.png
    1024 x 1024 - 403K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Oh! When the hair styles I had vanished, I'd added a skin texture to genesis as well.

• edited November 2012

MrPoser said:
    Here is a ponytail.... but when I add a texture to genesis... the hair vanishes.. tried to go back to Garibaldi editer and tweaked and moved the camera... still gone. This is a nice looking system but it easily overwhelmed my system if I do more than a simple hair or work with a character instead of the bare genesis.

I'm seeing this same issue -- after adding a texture to genesis the hair is no longer attached to genesis. In preview the curves are visible but the hair does not render. Using 64 bit windows beta on Vista.

Edit to add: I just tried this on another figure (Nusoda's Bong) and adding a texture to Bong does not affect the hair, so it looks like it may be a genesis specific problem.

bong_hair.jpg
    600 x 600 - 79K
    Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
    edited December 1969

That is so cute fivecat! I wonder if the problem has to do with the way Genesis can change UVs for different materials?

• edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    That is so cute fivecat! I wonder if the problem has to do with the way Genesis can change UVs for different materials?

Thanks. I hadn't thought of UVs as a possible issue -- great observation!

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    edited December 1969

I also had the same Problem with my Lycan...I just made sure I applied the texture first then the hair then it stopped being a problem...Make sure you email them the Zip file from the DAZ log text file that you save this way the Bug reports can be cross referenced....

edited December 1969

I changed the UV set to V4 and the poneytail came back.

ponytail_back_v4_UV_set.png
    1024 x 1024 - 643K
  • edited December 1969

MrPoser was correct, it is the UV set -- I just tested it.. I had gone from Genesis Female to V4 and that had affected the hair. So you need to start with the UV set you intend to use before adding the hair.

Does anyone know how to make the hair texture follow the base texture?

edited December 1969

araneldon said:

Not planned for version 1.

araneldon said:

- Hair length brush
    The style curves can be stretched and compressed with the comb tool with retain length turned off. The style curve lengths can be edited with the scale and extend tools. Also edited with the cut tool.
    Additional length editing tools are not planned for version 1.

araneldon said:
    This was in the plan but hasn't made the cut for version 1

araneldon said:
    Yes setting the surface attract tool set to -1 will reset the curvature of the style curves.

This can be set in the general tab of the attributes.

Additional options are planned for future beta versions.

In hindsight it was maybe a mistake not to have is in the initial beta release.

Looking forward to further developments...

Me too.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    The curves are very, very RAM intensive...more so than anything else with this.

I need to write some documentation at some point about better management of memory with garibaldi.
    Memory usable while rendering the example files should not exceed 2.5GB with 100% of curves when I've tested them on MacOS/Win 64bit.
    On particular 32bit machine setups processes may be restricted to using 2GB of memory. If you are finding it hard to render the examples then reduce the render percentage in the garibaldi daz studio parameters.

As mentioned in the beta email, on the website and in this forum a 64bit machine with 4GB of memory is currently recommended as the minimum requirements for the current early beta versions.
    I sorry but I can't guarantee a good experience for using the Garibaldi Express examples with anything less at the moment.
    Hopefully memory usage can be optimised with time, but I can't promise miracles.

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Thank you for the feedback, James.
    Thanks. These are early days and I appreciate everybody who has taken time to try this early beta and hope that I can create a really fun plugin for the daz studio community.

DaremoK3 said:
    I meant my machine is one of the cheapest on the market for a Win7 64 bit quad core, and 6 Gigs of RAM.
    I'm always amazed how computers are constantly becoming cheaper and quicker. A couple of years ago something like this would be classed as a high end workstation.

I think it states 64 MB's, but I've seen internal parameters state it using a base of 1024 MB from my RAM. I will have to research this, but I believe I should be o.k. for testing of the hair system.

Most of the development of garibaldi was done on a laptop having a geforce 320m with shared memory too. Sounds like you have on of the amd apu processors which have decent GPUs faster than this.

I had the same issue with the Clumping tool, and he explains how size and settings are probably the issue. Adjust accordingly.
    I'm going to update some of the default values for the next beta to hopefully make things will be a bit more intuitive.

edited December 1969

jerrycrow said:

But I don't know how to animate this hair.
    The hair will not be directly animatieble in version 1.

jerrycrow said:
    It's done with Intel i3, Win7, 8G ram (with my poor PC ;>)

As long as you stay away from raytraceing that spec is more than enough to create some amazing results.

...and Where can i get the serial number?
    No serial number needed for the beta version, just leave it blank.

This discussion has been closed.