How do I?...

laura-2124981laura-2124981 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

How do I... load products that i have purchased for Daz 3 and previously in used Daz 3... into Daz 4.

This may sound like a daft question, but i seriously can't do it.
I open the product i need to add to Daz 4, going through the same process, like i used to with Daz 3, but in can't seem to find where they went in the program DAZ 4 itself.

I have been told these products from D3 load and can be used in D4.

I am among other things, simply trying to get the Mil horse textures i purchased and have saved... into D4.

What on earth am i doing wrong?

I purchased D4 from the site, got the serial code in etc...
I also purchased the products i am trying to install to D4 (used in D3 too).
Help
Thanks In Advance
Laura :)

Comments

• dragon1065dragon1065 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I found that after I loaded stuff for Daz3, There is a seperate heading for it....My Documents, DAZ3D, Studio3...I found all the stuff there

Hope that helps

Rob

edited December 1969

PS

Otherwise, try a file search from your "Start" menu..It will tell you where the files went

• laura-2124981laura-2124981 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Rob,
    thanks for replying,

Do you mean...
    And i am confused because 'I' don't get it my self, not because of you :) ...

So Do you mean...

your daz3 products went into Daz 4 ok? and that they appear in daz 4 for you to use, like they did in daz 3?

Because i cant find them in the actual program to select for use.
    Oh dear i am confused ,,

edited December 1969

also Rob, i just had a thought...

If i am loading the products to D4, you can also choose where they go? do you know the 'route' ? if you know what i mean.

Usually in Daz 3 they would 'know' where to go, .. program files.. etc...i am wondering if i need to alter where they go?

Did that make sense?
    L

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Hello Laura

There is no need to reinstall DS3 content, it is exactly the same as DS3 content. All you have to do, is to point DS4 to where the DS3 content is stored, in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager.

If you have reinstalled to the default DS4 folder, My Library, just remember that there are two types of content. There is Poser Format, which is most of the models except for Genesis, and DAZ Studio Content which will contain all the Genesis related stuff, and DS optimised textures.

Are you looking in the Content Library tab, or Smart Content?

edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy..
    Thank you so much for helping,

Mmm now you've got me, err.
    I will open up Daz 4 ...

The thing is, is that i had to format my hard drive a little while ago, and i lost DAZ3, i cant even find my serial code for it, which should be on my account i know. I have emailed daz to ask where that could be...

I have opened D4 now.....

I have nothing in DAZ 4 except for what came with it, Genisis, Dragon etc.. and a few animals i got from the site recently, horse,dog,cat,
    and i want to load textures and a few other bits. (i saved all my purchases)

I am looking in Smart content. nothings there...
    and now looking at Content Library ... Daz studio formats, = the Genisis stuff...
    Poser Formats contains, the stuff D4 came with + The aiko hair i DiD manage to install from my previous purchase for D3.

Did that make sense?
    I figure i need to direct them to... a different path?

Sorry to take up your time.

edited December 1969

Once you find where your DAZ3 stuff is, you can move it to your DAZ4 library. It's a little tricky, but only because you'll want geometry (objects) where they are easy to find, textures under textures, etc.......Also, when in DAZ4, you might have to use "import" instead of "open" to see the DAZ3 stuff...I have to import my DAZ3 "Victoria4" in order to load it into DAZ4 (it wont even show the files if I choose open).

edited December 1969

Dragon thank you,

Right !

It's becoming a little clearer,,

So let me go and see if i can sort it....

I might be back if i get stuck...

thanks

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited November 2012

First look where do you have your DS3 content stored on your PC? Which folder, what is the full path? Then open DS4 and go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager. Add there the path to your old DS3 content folders. And that´s all - DS now knows where it should look for your DS3 content and will show it to you. Just do not use Smart Content to look for your items inside of DS - only items with metadata will show there, and your DS3 items most likely do not have metadata.

Post edited by Proxima Shining on
    edited December 1969

Hi Proxima

Thank you very much for replying, i had a quick go,
    it's still not showing, im not quite sure what i've done, but i need to get it sorted soon.
    I'm a book cover artist and really need some products in Daz4.

I will have another go shortly, no doubt i will be back needing help eek!

Thanks

edited December 1969

Maybe if you post a screenshot of how path to your content is set in Content Directory Manager inside DS, someone will be able to tell you what you are doing wrong? It should not be a problem to have your content in different folders - many people here use multiple runtimes, or external runtimes and similar. All that is needed is to set the correct path to your content inside DS.

edited December 1969

Hi,
    I now cant work out how to add a screen shot to here.. what am i like, so

here's what it says in the content library/content directory manager:

For both Daz studio formats and poser formats...

C:/Documents and Settings/Laura_2/My Documents/DAZ 3D/My Studio/My Library

Does this make sense?
    L

edited December 1969

I have the same path, except the folder which you have named "My Studio" is called only "Studio". This is the default path for content in DS4 on Windows XP (would be a bit different on Win7 or Vista). In DS 3 the path was different and the "My Library" folder was called "Content". You have to look where exactly you have (in which folders) your old DS3 content installed on your PC. If you have them in another folder than the path you posted above, then you have to add that folder to content directory manager in DS. If you used the default location to install your DS3 products, then your DS3 items might be in C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio3\content.

I found some links which might be helpful. Although some are a bit older.

Content configuration in DAZ Studio 4 - this one looks very promising, under Configure Preferences in DAZ Studio it describes what I have been trying to tell you
    Understanding content installation
    Finding missing content after upgrading from DS3 to DS4
    How to load my existing content into DS4

edited December 1969

To add images into the forum, choose "Post reply". Look to the left - there is Message (next to the place where you type your message into), Spell Check, Characters, Options and at the bottom is Attachments (that´s where you choose and add your image).

edited December 1969

Hi Proxima

You are so kind to spend all this time helping me, i really appreciate it.

I do understand what you mean by “My Library” folder was called “Content” i remember this.

And most of everything else you have described is a vague memory set very far back in my brain,lol,

I am on Windows 7.

I will take a look at the links next,
    thanks so much
    have a great day/evening :)
    Laura