Toothpick

After the Halloween buffet.

116372.JPG
    765 x 620 - 260K
    Post edited by Wahil on
  • DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited October 2012

I Don't think were in Kansas!

Starring the amazing Mr. Pete as the scarecrow.

Alternate framed version shown, I like the filmstrip look on this one, however it cuts of important scene information.

Wow. these showed up a little darker than originals, will try to upload lightened versions if I have time

ver1.jpg
    900 x 546 - 115K
    OZborder.jpg
    1020 x 606 - 172K
    Post edited by Davage on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

Rescuing this cute girl is what manwolf is all about... Only Manwolf had some trouble striking the perfect pose....And don't get me started on his poor tail. Fortunately, the girl seems to be handling the situation... Mostly...

zombie.jpg
    900 x 1100 - 135K
  • bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Oh...and I have a real creepy set probably coming out in november.....so creepy you will say "I cant believe RawArt made this!!!".....and then you will run for cover.
    Rawn

Is this project still on course?
    So I can put some euros aside before I go crazy in the final days of pcsale :)

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,743
    edited December 1969

opps...seems I am no longer getting updates to this thread.

Looking great guys....guess today is th last day for this :)
    Its been alot of fun seeing all the art.

Rawn

edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    RawArt said:

Oh...and I have a real creepy set probably coming out in november.....so creepy you will say "I cant believe RawArt made this!!!".....and then you will run for cover.
    Rawn

Is this project still on course?
    So I can put some euros aside before I go crazy in the final days of pcsale :)

Should be out the end of november ;)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I got my artwork rendering now! :)

• bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Should be out the end of november ;)

Nice!! Thanks for the headsup :)

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

Denny L said:
    Toothpick

After the Halloween buffet.

Hah...good one!!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

I used your caslte stone textures in this animation does that count :)
    it took me longer to render this than i had planed. I'm Sorry it was to late for the contest.
    enjoy :)

Black stone haunted castle
    Happy Halloween
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8-EE7fUAjY&feature=plcp

haunted_castle_promo_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 383K
    edited December 1969

Very cool Ivy!
    Not too late for the contest....contest is still on all day ;)

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Very cool Ivy!

awesome. I hope everyone enjoys it. :) Thanks for watching
    edited December 1969

This is kinda based on my own RL.

Halloween is not celebrated where I live. We do not have a cultural niche for it (you can thank cold season, knee-deep snow and other fun things of the wintertime for that), and we do our masked candy-begging run prior to Easter, in a completely different context.

Even so, the recent years have seen an enormous push from marketing to make us celebrate it. This, of course, creates some conflict and confusion between generations.
    -----------------------------------
    When Lucy got a letter back from her grandmother -- who she hadn't seen since they moved away from the countryside to the city -- and the answer was that her grandmother would be delighted to have her and her friends over for the weekend, she was positively ecstatic. She, Slim and Blimp put together a plan for dress-up, as it was the weekend before Halloween (she had to explain in her second letter to her grandmother what is Halloween), and she wanted to go around the old village and show off their costumes, meet with old friends left behind.

Blimp wanted to be a mobster, or posh businessman, but he could not afford much or decide which one. Fortunately his mother was handy with a needle, and she quickly put together a rather convincing -- well, at least from a distance -- attire. Slim had gotten lucky; somehow, he had found a rubber mask depicting the hottest action hero, Max Payback, plus an almost realistic-looking wig. Lucy wasn't sure what to think of this: she knew that Slim wasn't always the most honest one, and it was quite likely that he had acquired the mask and wig in less than honest ways. This was even more obvious when she thought about the clothes he was going to wear, ragged leftovers from his big brother who worked in construction.

But why the bucket and broom? Slim, on the other hand, had a very glib tongue. This would be Max Payback's undercover disguise, as a janitor. The most bad-ass janitor of all time! She decided to let it go with a tiny sigh. Her own costume had her on the edge of her seat, but much to her relief, her mother managed to acquire it in time. Sometimes they threw away some clothes that were hopelessly stained at the hospital laundry, and she managed to sneak out a used, discarded lab coat for her to wear, after several thorough washings and oven-bakings. The best mom ever!

On Friday evening, after her father came back from work, all the kids packed into the sidecar of his motorcycle, put the knapsacks, pumpkins and things to the saddlebags, her father loaded a shotgun (because you never knew what kind of people would travel at night too) and strapped it to the cycle, and then they hit the road. The moon was shining down from the sky as they drove through desolate countryside, for several hours. Mist was rising from the swampy ground, when grandmother's hut came into view. They took their things, and three little figures, clad in their Halloween clothes scampered across a field of dead grass.

Lucy reached to knock on the door, and when it creaked open and grandmother stood at the doorstep, all three shouted "Happy Halloween! Trick or Treat!"

It would be the best Halloween ever.

-----------------------------------

Things had not been the same ever since the... Others had come, and raised their portal between the worlds. Her son had collected his family, and moved off to distant city to "have a job", "a better life to his family", as if there was something wrong at living here, and having the life they got now. She missed them all, missed looking after the little ones, but she could not bear to live in a city full of Others.

So when Lucy's letter arrived, she was delighted, albeit slightly worried if she could do this thing right. To begin with, she was puzzling over her name (which she helpfully clarified as being her new name); true, they had taken a different name as was the custom when one moved outside of their own home, to protect the family at their old home. But why take a name belonging to Others? She suspected glumly that it might have something to do with a better life and having a job; old-style names were going out of fashion.

And then there was this "Halloween". Souls? Her kind did not believe in souls, no one did under the Old Religion and Ways. Witches, goblins, ghuls? Nonsense, that was simply baggage and prejudice brought in by the Others. There was talk about carving pumpkins, too; why would anyone carve a pumpkin, if not to eat it? And... and then there was this bit about candies and tasty treats and tricks. Oh dear, oh dearie dearie dear. She was now worried to her bones that she would not be able to do this right, not at all, being old and very much set to her ways. But she would try, for the kids.

She counted her money twice, and way before the children's arrival, trekked two villages over to a general store to make a purchase. The prices were staggering, but she managed to get a one large bar of "chocolate" with what she had, and some raw ingredients for things she knew how to bake and cook. After some courtesy tea and talk, she made her way back to the hut, and began to prepare for her guests.

As the blessed Moon rose to the sky and warded off the darklings, she heard a knock at the door. She moved slowly to the peephole to verify who was out there, then she opened the door and her old eyes wandered from kid to kid.

There was Blimp, in a suit made out of sack cloth, wearing a wig made out of straw. She had no idea what he was supposed to portray, but he was doing his best to strut and show off his stuff, even expose his fangs in a show of might like an adult ogre might.

Slim was wearing some kind of mask made out of leathery stuff; it was depicting one of the male Others, but who, she could not tell. Obviously, though, the face meant a lot to him, because he was trying to make himself look more adult and more brave than he really was; his tail was twitching in nervous excitement, and he just might run under a rock or behind a tree if he heard something he didn't like. A forked tongue flitted in and out from a tiny hole made between the lips of the mask.

And then, of course, there was Lucy, her dearest, youngest granddaughter. She had grown a lot, soon past being a little calf, and she noted to her pleasure that her horns were budding out. If there was something good about the Others, it was that they did not tolerate the custom of disbudding the horns; if you wanted to find a job and enroll your children to their schools, you weren't allowed to disbud them. Good. She would grow up quite a lady, and in her letter she had stated she was going to wear the robes of a healer, because she wanted to become one, and then she'd heal the whole world. Ambitious, this little one.

She snapped out of her thoughts when the three shouted "Happy Halloween! Trick or Treat!" and she gave them an unsure smile. "Happy... Hall-o-ween. Ooooh, but you all look so scary." She gestured with her hands, urging the little ones to come in before the darklings would notice them under the lights. "I invite you to come in, and stay in safety of my house." All of them skittered in, unaware of the dangers that might lurk outside. She closed the door, and slipped a beam across it to keep it barred.

"Now, would you like some treats?" She trembled lightly as she held out a bowl of self-made treats; how could they possibly stand against those given by the Others? At least she had that chocolate if this failed to please the children.

She didn't need to worry. All three dove in for candied eyeballs, and ate themselves full, followed by other traditional treats of the countryside, with all the merriment three kids and grandmother could possibly have.

No one remembered the lonely bar of chocolate.

It was the best Halloween ever.

Raw2012_Trick_or_Treat.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 142K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    This is kinda based on my own RL.....................

.....................It was the best Halloween ever.

Wow, great story! I hadn't looked at the image before i started reading and didn't realize they weren't human till you mentioned one twitching his tail. I wanna know more about the darklings!

So where do you live?

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    This is kinda based on my own RL.....................

.....................It was the best Halloween ever.

Wow, great story! I hadn't looked at the image before i started reading and didn't realize they weren't human till you mentioned one twitching his tail. I wanna know more about the darklings!

Heee! Then I was succesful, as I did not want people to figure it out too soon. :)

I imagine that darklings are probably slightly ethereal, ragged, roughly bird-shaped monstrous things that hunt at night and dislike lights. Big enough to carry off an adult minotaur. But I also think that they are getting more and more rare these days. "Others" aka humans do not tolerate super-predators that much.

So where do you live?

Finland. Like I said, we don't really do Halloween over here. But we are getting bombarded with it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,002
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Finland. Like I said, we don't really do Halloween over here. But we are getting bombarded with it.

Conform...conform...conform...conform...conform...
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Love the story Skiriki :-)

Can relate to not having halloween and yet being bombarded by it.

edited December 1969

Halloween is worth conforming to. It is the most fun holiday (at least for people like me LOL)

I get to make props like this to greet people at my door.

(As for the contest......I will work on having the results before the weekend)

Rawn

doorguard2.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 546K
  • earth2dearth2d Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    RawArt said:
    Very cool Ivy!

Ivy the animation is absolutely fantastic in every-way! Excellent work, effects, and love what you did with the horse and carriage!

edited November 2012

The contest is over....but I have one last "greeting". Do you remember that old routine on SNL where the shark from "Jaws" knocks on his victims doors? "Who is it" The shark answers "Candygram" That's the title of this comp. Gotta love Genesis.

Shark2.jpg
    860 x 1064 - 457K
    Post edited by peteVault on
    edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    The contest is over....but I have one last "greeting". Do you remember that old routine on SNL where the shark from "Jaws" knocks on his victims doors? "Who is it" The shark answers "Candygram" That's the title of this comp. Gotta love Genesis.

Cool...but not one of my characters...so it would not count in the contest anyway.

edited December 1969

I know...but it was a Halloween greeting and this seemed the most popular place to put it.

edited November 2012

earth2d said:
    Ivy said:
    RawArt said:
    Very cool Ivy!

Ivy the animation is absolutely fantastic in every-way! Excellent work, effects, and love what you did with the horse and carriage!

Thank you for the kind comment. and I am really happy people enjoyed it...it took a little more effort than most of my animations because of the way i rendered it. and i am a little disappointed the YouTube killed the quality of the video. But over all it was a fun project.

Thanks again. :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

I know I'm too late for the contest but I only came up with the idea yesterday and was able to buy the Comic Clown Bundle last night shortly before the generous coupon expired. With a break for sleep, I've been working mostly on this ever since. It still needs work, especially in regards to lighting, but I wanted to post it before the thread went kaput. :)

I've sadly only played Arkham Asylum and the sequel once but I was greatly impressed by both games. Here's a bit of a tribute I'm working on for a friend featuring Harley Quinn. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve it, I'm open to whatever you have to say.

RawArt Products Used: Comic Clown Bundle including an adapted pose from that bundle. Thank you so much for that coupon by the way. I wouldn't have been able to afford that bundle without it as I hit the bottom of my budget last month!

arkham-angel-test1.jpg
    900 x 720 - 112K
    edited December 1969

Ok...I hope everyone had as much fun with this as I did.
    I finally went through all the entries and randomly choose the winners....It was so nice to see all the creatures brought to life here :)
    So without further adieu...here are the winners:

pete.c44
    Kaputcha
    Davage003

I will send each of you a PM asking you to choose which product you would like (individual product, not a bundle of course)

Thank you everyone...it was a blast!!

Rawn

• DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Wow, very cool, Thank you RawArt. Nice entries everyone, it's always fun to see what comes out of peoples imagination.

• BlazerwiccanBlazerwiccan Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners and thanks for the contest :)

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners, it was fun :-)

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

pete.c44, Kaputcha, Davage003

Good job.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Congrats pete.c44, Kaputcha, Davage003 -- great stuff everybody!