Learning weight mapping?

BagletBaglet Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've made a top for Genesis (see below) and now need to start weight mapping. This needs to be able to cope with loose fits for the sleeves and lower 'frill'.

Are there any good introductions that deal with this?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

Often when creators want loose fits they make the model skin-tight and then load the desired shape as a morph, locked to 100%. That would probably make the weight mapping easier. Have you applied the Transfer utility to the existing shape? If so, where does it fail to give good results?

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No I haven't even imported the obj so far. I'm not sure where to start as it is all new for me. I've only ever made conforming and draped clothing before. So I don't know what can and can't be done.

The image is from Marvellous Designer which I used to make the item. I'm not sure their exported objs would morph well as it does not output the quads that are used in regular clothing.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited November 2012

I've made clothes using MD and any morphs I've added worked fine.:-)

I just use the transfer utility and the items all seem to fit OK. No problems with weight mapping.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited November 2012

I now have the obj sitting on Genesis Female shape in DS. What happens next?

Sorry if these are idiot questions but that's where I am right now. Starting out but interested in learning a new way of working.

I have the Figure Setup pane open. It asks for a Figure Template - what is this and how do I find it?

Post edited by Baglet on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

why not wait till the new studio plugin Marvelous dynamicloth is released?

edited November 2012

why not wait till the new studio plugin Marvelous dynamicloth is released?

Because eternity is a long, long time. It's been promised for ages ...

Also I don't always want dynamic cloth. It tends to cling or float too much for anything other than high-class or statue classical wear. The DS dynamics are better than the Poser ones, at least for the Optitext items, but it's an awkward process even so.

I'm interested in learning how to do weight-mapping anyway as it seems to be the 'coming thing'.

Post edited by Baglet on
    edited November 2012

Select your garment in the Scene tab and then click on the lines icon at the top left of that tab. Choose Assets/Transfer Utility.

In the Pop up window choose Genesis for the Source Item and your garment as the Target Item.

If you have modelled your garment around V4, shape Genesis to V4 and choose Current in Item shape.

Open Show Options and tick Reverse Source shape from target. Add Smoothing Moderator and Content Type if you want. Then click Accept.

Your garment should now be fitted to Genesis.:-)

Then save as Support Asset/Dsf Figure or Prop

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

It sort of fits but not around the Abdomen2 area.

elizbFTop2.jpg
    346 x 204 - 24K
    edited November 2012

If you modelled around Genesis female did you choose that as the source shape when running the Transfer Utility? Or if Genesis is already morphed, you can choose Current as the source shape (which is useful when working with multiply-morphed mannequins). Also, you need to bear in mind that if you model around a morphed figure then by the time you've reversed the source shape and then DS has auto-generated a morph you have a double approximation - you may find it helps, at least for single morph, to load your model as a morph for the rigged clothing in place of the auto-morph.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

you may find it helps, at least for single morph, to load your model as a morph for the rigged clothing in place of the auto-morph.

Forgive my current ignorance, but I don't know how to do that.

I modelled it around the Genesis female shape but choosing Current or not made no difference. What has helped is adding a little smoothing - 3 iterations.

edited December 1969

Go to Morph Loader Pro (Edit>Figure>Morph Loader Pro...), pick the same preset you used for loading the clothes at the top, click Choose Morph Files and select your original OBJ, then click the triangle next to the OBJ name to expand the options: click the name to get it editable and enter "FBMBasicFemale" so that it replaces the auto-generated morph, right-click the current setting for Property group and pick or create the right group for the morph (Actor/Real World/Female), right-click on the current option for makeUnique and choose deltas only (so it overwrites).

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    wilmap said:

It sort of fits but not around the Abdomen2 area.

Nice top Baglet...sometimes smoothing is the way to go! The other option is when using the transfer utility to choose Item shape as Current and then click on show options and make sure you select Reverse source shape from target. Other settings can remain the same as you've used previously. I would try reverse source shape first and if that doesn't fix use the smoothing options.

edited December 1969

Just redone it before I start on work emails this morning. The 'Reverse source shape from target' fixed it. I'll go back and clean up the model a bit as the lower part is not well defined and I'd like to add chemise at the front neck if I can.

Thanks everybody for getting me here.

elizbFTop3.jpg
    249 x 200 - 19K
    edited November 2012

Glad you got it sorted.

I did say to tick the Reverse source shape box in my original post.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Glad you got it sorted.

I did say to tick the Reverse source shape box in my original post.

My fault for not finding it at first. I'm probably more awake now.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    Just redone it before I start on work emails this morning. The 'Reverse source shape from target' fixed it. I'll go back and clean up the model a bit as the lower part is not well defined and I'd like to add chemise at the front neck if I can.

Thanks everybody for getting me here.

glad to hear its all sorted...