Genesis in Poser

Comments

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited October 2012

Yes, the obj file can be imported. Strange that they did not add the last step to it. The created cr2 contains the obj reference, but does not use it and does not attach the materials. I hope it will be corrected in the new :"heavenly" import
    Another thing which I discoved: Some items break after being exported (such as the wings for Strogoi vampire). It breaks as soon as you conform. I wonder if that is one of those mismatched end points, but I could not find them. Parenting does not work here since the wings move with the arms, which is a petty since they look very good.

Shoes are another department where things go pretty bad when exported. Somehow they seem to deform. Scaling does hot help here. The deformation seems to get worse if V5, M5 or S5 morphs are used.

What really worries me is the S5 (and in lesser extend V5 and M5) looks really awful at places (prime example is the knees). There is so much distortion here that it is no longer usable in Poser. If you look at the base mesh view in DS4 you can see that the base itself is malformed. High res is a bit better and when rendered does not look good either. In Poser - even with all smoothing on - it looks really bad

Edited to add clearer picture

badknees2F.jpg
    800 x 280 - 44K
    Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

I am starting to think now that the exporter is broken. It always outputs the base resolution and not the high resolution. The base works fine with standard genesis (smooth) but is not enough if morphs are used,
    The hires and base versions at level 0 are dfiferent in DS4 but are identical in Poser.
    I have looked through the change log for DS4.5 but see no reference to a fix for that.
    So can anyone confirm this is the case?

• OlorinOlorin Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if this is exactly the thread to post this to, but there was something hinted at in one of the threads on Daz concerning future development relating to Genesis and Poser. This is just an honest query as to what that development might be. Has anyone else seen anything in the threads with more specifics regarding this?

edited December 1969

No, no details were given. There is lots of speculation, but all who know are under NDA, so won't answer

edited December 1969

Snarlygribbly created a script to do subdivision in poser. It is a script which prepares the figures just before render.
    This script pretty much solves the S5 knee problems in Poser.
    More information at http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2855291

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Initial results look really good too :D

edited December 1969

Is there a way to remove unused morphs in DS4. I want to do this before exporting. The amount of exported morphs is getting huge and takes ages to export. Also the CR2 files bigger and bigger (now at 150MB!!!!)

edited December 1969

I've just come online to discover that DAZ have announced the DSON importer for Poser:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9405/

so I'm thinking of pulling the Genesis to Poser .CR2 tut to avoid any confusion, as this should be WAY easier to use. I'd aprpeciate some feedback though, esp. as I haven't used it yet (I have been kept out of the loop).

1) Are there users still avoiding DS 4.5 that might be unhappy if I pull the tutorial?

2) Is there enough remaining in the tutorial to be of interest if the tut were expanded to cover using the (currently free) DSON importer for Poser:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dson-importer-for-poser

I'll hopefully give it a couple of days in case there are any replies, but this looks like such a HUGE improvement over the CR2 exporter that I lean towards simply removing the tut from the marketplace. Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,

Cliff

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

Hi Cliff,
    I should imagine we'll all swap to this new way now, but I certainly appreciate the work you did, and do not regret buying your stuff so I could have an initial first look at genesis in poser.
    Love esther

• Rosie DRosie D Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Hi Cliff

I've just downloaded the new importer and will shortly be giving it a whirl.

It certainly looks to be a bit of a game changer....I haven't installed the Daz 4.5 upgrade as yet, I didn't see much point before this, I was happy enough using the cr2 with your tutorial etc - I even managed to iron out some of it's problems by rewriting the generated cr2 file when objects disappeared on me!

It looks like I will be needing to upgrade to 4.5 in order to convert content to the new format and create poser companion files....

I've no idea of how much of the original tut will be needed but I'll let you know how I get on over the next couple of days.....

:)

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

I've just come online to discover that DAZ have announced the DSON importer for Poser:

so I'm thinking of pulling the Genesis to Poser .CR2 tut to avoid any confusion, as this should be WAY easier to use. I'd aprpeciate some feedback though, esp. as I haven't used it yet (I have been kept out of the loop).

1) Are there users still avoiding DS 4.5 that might be unhappy if I pull the tutorial?

2) Is there enough remaining in the tutorial to be of interest if the tut were expanded to cover using the (currently free) DSON importer for Poser:

I'll hopefully give it a couple of days in case there are any replies, but this looks like such a HUGE improvement over the CR2 exporter that I lean towards simply removing the tut from the marketplace. Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,

Cliff

OK, I'm confused. I thought that:

1. Genesis to Poser CR2 tut REQUIRED the use of DS 4.5

2. DSON DOES NOT require the use of DS at all.

Is this post aimed at content creators who want to bring their stuff into DSON compatability?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

pwiecek said:

Cheers,

Cliff

Is this post aimed at content creators who want to bring their stuff into DSON compatability?

Genesis to Poser using the CR2 Exporter requires DS4, it could be 4.0.3 or 4.5

DSON does not require DS at all if the product has already been updated for Poser compatibility. For content creators, or if there's a product that hasn't been converted and you don't want to wait, DS 4.5.1.6 can convert them.

edited December 1969

but if we wait the sales will be gone, or should we just buy every genesis thing we like and assume it will work quite soon?
    Love esther

edited December 1969

esther said:
    but if we wait the sales will be gone, or should we just buy every genesis thing we like and assume it will work quite soon?
    Love esther

I think it's safe to assume it will all be updated eventually, and these updates appear to be given high priority.

• OlorinOlorin Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

I have yet to try this new exporter, but I will be happy if the results are nice. It is good to see that Daz is trying to make their products useful to the Poser community . I think time will tell as to how well this works, but I am viewing this as a positive step by Daz.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

pwiecek said:

Cheers,

Cliff

DSON does not require DS at all if the product has already been updated for Poser compatibility. For content creators, or if there's a product that hasn't been converted and you don't want to wait, DS 4.5.1.6 can convert them.

Thanks.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Love esther

I think it's safe to assume it will all be updated eventually, and these updates appear to be given high priority.

I may have missed this somewhere, but anyone know when the sale on Genesis stuff ends?

edited December 1969

Faerydae said:
    esther said:
    Love esther

I may have missed this somewhere, but anyone know when the sale on Genesis stuff ends?

Monday Oct 15th

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks Mike!

edited December 1969

pwiecek said:

fixmypcmike has nailed it :)

DSON importer required .duf content i.e. content designed (or updated) for DS4.5 specifically - not all DS 4 content is, as yet, compatible with this new importer - but otherwise it's a vast improvement over the CR2 exporter in so many, many ways :D

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

The DSON Importer is FANTASTIC, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, now I can play with Genesis in Poser with ease.
    Just rendering a S4/Genesis Teen Fae:)
    Genesis poses so much nicer than the G4.

• edited December 1969

So, I got the DSON Importer as soon as it was released, only to find that I had to have Poser 9 to use it...and I was still using Poser 8. :( Well, I thought, I guess that just gives me an excuse to upgrade! :) So, today I upgraded to Poser 9, and prepared myself to dive headfirst into using Genesis and all the stuff that I bought a few months ago, before I knew that I was absolutely hopeless in Daz Studio. And then, it all comes to a screeching halt. I've followed the tutorial for installing DSON. And I get to the part where it says to "use the normal method for adding directories." Wait...what? I've never had to manually add any directories before, and I have no idea how. I've searched the forums. I've Googled it. I've tried everything I can think of...and I'm still lost. Can someone please take me by my hopeless little hand and baby walk me through this mess? I'm desperate! lol Please, don't make me create a really pathetic looking image, using maybe Vicky1, to prove my lack of skill. ;)

edited December 1969

Just install the dson importer in your poser 9 runtime and install the TWO
    essential packages together in a new "genesis" runtime.
    After starting Poser, import the new genesis runtime and start the addon (In
    the Windows!Addon menu). Now you can load and play with genesis, use the
    morphs, poses, materials, expression, clothing which are all installed in
    the genesis runtime. No sweat or bugs at all
    Next step is to go to the DSON category at DAZ and see what you already have
    and re-download all of those (This is a pain, I know). The new downloads
    have each a DSON base and Poser Companion installer. Install both of them to
    the genesis runtime and they will all work
    Next go the DSON category at DAZ again and buy all the stuff you want - there are some bargains. Again download and install the DSON and companion files.

Some caveats:
    - Sometimes clothing does not fit directly because the cloth lacks a morph.
    Use the Scripts!DSON Support!Transfer Active Morphs and the missing morphs
    will be added. After that I have not seen any pokethrough
    - If you save the figure to the library - set the subdivision lever lower.
    If you don't you end up with 400MB files in your library. Set it higher
    again after you load the figure again
    - If you want to use Gen4 MAT files, you have to set the genesis figure
    after loading to the V4 UVmap. You can do that by using one of the MAT files
    from DAZ for V4 or M4 - just load one of those MATs and the UVMAP will
    change. Now you can add your own MAT files.
    - There is some talk about some scaling problems. You won't see them with
    most morphs. Ones which I discovered are shoulder width and armslength. In
    small values they are ok, but larger ones not. The Child and other full body
    morphs do not have the problem. This seems to be a problem of the importer
    and is being worked on

(this was the instructions Wim gave to me and they worked)

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, I get pokethrough on just about every clothing I've tried ... even after running the Transfer Active Morphs script. This is even on the standard V5 with no other morphs dialed in.

I've unhide the x and z scales on some clothing to scale the clothing a bit further away from the body. That helps with some of the pokethrough, but not all.

esther said:
    Some caveats:
  • edited December 1969

esther said:
    Just install the dson importer in your poser 9 runtime and install the TWO
    essential packages together in a new "genesis" runtime.
    After starting Poser, import the new genesis runtime and start the addon (In
    the Windows!Addon menu). Now you can load and play with genesis, use the
    morphs, poses, materials, expression, clothing which are all installed in
    the genesis runtime. No sweat or bugs at all
    Next step is to go to the DSON category at DAZ and see what you already have
    and re-download all of those (This is a pain, I know). The new downloads
    have each a DSON base and Poser Companion installer. Install both of them to
    the genesis runtime and they will all work
    Next go the DSON category at DAZ again and buy all the stuff you want - there are some bargains. Again download and install the DSON and companion files.

Some caveats:
    - If you save the figure to the library - set the subdivision lever lower.
    If you don't you end up with 400MB files in your library. Set it higher
    again after you load the figure again
    - If you want to use Gen4 MAT files, you have to set the genesis figure
    after loading to the V4 UVmap. You can do that by using one of the MAT files
    from DAZ for V4 or M4 - just load one of those MATs and the UVMAP will
    change. Now you can add your own MAT files.
    - There is some talk about some scaling problems. You won't see them with
    most morphs. Ones which I discovered are shoulder width and armslength. In
    small values they are ok, but larger ones not. The Child and other full body
    morphs do not have the problem. This seems to be a problem of the importer
    and is being worked on

(this was the instructions Wim gave to me and they worked)

Aha! By the time I saw your reply, I had managed to get Genesis up and running in Poser, but I was ripping my hair out, trying to figure out how to get everything else that I'd purchased for Genesis. I didn;t know that I had to go re-download it to get the new DSON versions. Thank you thank you THANK YOU! And I'm sure that everyone else thanks you, too, since now they don't have to see V1 looking all pathetic. ;)

edited December 1969

I' very happy that you got it working.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately, I get pokethrough on just about every clothing I've tried ... even after running the Transfer Active Morphs script. This is even on the standard V5 with no other morphs dialed in.

I've unhide the x and z scales on some clothing to scale the clothing a bit further away from the body. That helps with some of the pokethrough, but not all.

esther said:
    Some caveats:

Do you have examples of a few with poke through. For me it seems to work pretty good, although I did find one (maybe set of) morph which caused a problem. I don't recall which one. I think it was caused by not having the morph set available in Poser. I converted the figure from DS to Poser and may have had the morphs installed in DS, but not in Poser

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:

esther said:
    Some caveats:

Do you have examples of a few with poke through. For me it seems to work pretty good, although I did find one (maybe set of) morph which caused a problem. I don't recall which one. I think it was caused by not having the morph set available in Poser. I converted the figure from DS to Poser and may have had the morphs installed in DS, but not in Poser

I found one of those non-fitting examples. The problem seems to be that some morphs are not activated. In the case where I had the problem, all morphs worked - except the breast implant one. This was a converted V4 figure to genesis and had dozens of morphs, this one caused a poke through with all clothing items. The breast implant is one the GenX morphs. Not sure if this is a bug in the transfer script, the importer, Poser or GenX

edited December 1969

What worries me more is that some conversions completely crash Poser. In one case when I just load a converted item, Poser crashes immediately to the desktop. The other items in the same set cause no problems
    So load and conform each items after conversion to see if they cause such problems before using it in a real scene

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

I have these Crashes with Genesis Items like Wings or some things that need * parenting * and my Poser pro 2012 crashes.