Renamed: Textures Not So Smart

ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I just installed 4.5 on my Win7 64 bit. I had uninstalled 4.0 beforehand and deleted all of my content to start out fresh. I then installed the V5 Pro Bundle which includes "Magna Hart for Genesis". I then installed "Magna Hart for Genesis Textures" and am unable to use the textures. My guess is because the files are DSA and not DUF. If this is true how am I able to utilize the texture set? Is there a way to convert DSA to DUF or will I have to wait for an update.

I sure am hoping there is a way to convert it otherwise I am guessing there is going to be a lot of content that I have purchased that is unusable until such time as them being converted.

I apologize if there has been a thread that has dealt with this issue. I just didn't want to spend a couple of hours looking for an answer.

Edited: The problem seems to be my Smart Content not seeing Texture Sets.

Post edited by ledhead on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

the dsa format does and will work in DS4.5 so it must be something else.

Not having much V5 stuff I cannot check this I am sorry to say.

I have to ask as some miss this. Did you install the new content that is a separate install, Genesis Essentials

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come and help..if not I will go and grab someone by the collar and rag them over here. :)

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I did install Essentials.

When you install new content the program lets you know it is importing the Metadata. The program let me know it was importing the Metadata for the Texture set, but it is nowhere to be found. When I look under My Library\People\Genesis\Clothing\Bobbie25\Magna Hart\Materials the files for the "Magna Hart for Genesis" are duf files whereas for the textures they are dsa files. I believe that is the problem. I just don't know how to fix it.

edited December 1969

I was able to figure out how to get it to show.

I went to my content library and under products I looked up Magna Hart for Genesis Textures.

I right clicked and it give me the option to show under smart content which I clicked and presto, there it was.

I still don't understand why it wasn't there in the first place, but at least I am able to use it now.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited November 2012

I do got the Magna Hart product and the DSA files are working fine in DS 4.5.1.6 here. Do you get any error message or any log entry (Menu "Help" -> "Troubleshooting ..." -> "View Log File...") as to indicate what goes wrong?

Edit: Ah ok :) glad you were able to solve it, apparently I posted right after you found out :)

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Well the problem is it does not stay in the Smart Content, at least not where I can find it. I am able to use it, just not from Smart Content.

edited November 2012

Arr so you just can't find them is that it? The product page states •DAZ Studio Material Presets (.DUF and .DSA) meaning you should have both. Just use the DUF formatted materials.As I said I haven't got this set so I cannot check.

Also since it has metadata doesn't the Mats show up in Smart Content when you select the clothing?

Have you tired looking in the Surfaces Pane using the Preset function at the top on the Pane. Make sure you have the clothing selected first though. The reason I ask is becase some of my mats don't show up in the Smart Content pane but does under the Surfaces pane when viewed in Preset mode.

Edit: wow you are too fast for me.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Yeah I just don't get it. I know it's there, it just doesn't show up. I do have the item selected btw, but the only texture that shows up is the one that came with the clothing set and none of the ones in the texture set. It's like for some reason the texture set is not tied with the clothing set. The only problem with that theory though is I do not see the texture set ever unless I use the content library.

I'm going to install another set of clothing that has a texture set to see if it has the same problem.

I'll check back in a bit later.

edited December 1969

Wel lit sounds like the metadata hasn't been set up correctly.

edited December 1969

I'm having the same problem with Scifi Bunny Textures. I'll do some more checking to see if I can figure it out.

edited December 1969

The Smart Content sees the Clothing Sets and the textures that come with it, but I am unable to see any of the Texture Sets.

When I install the texture set and open the program it tells me it is importing the textures into the Smart Content, but they are nowhere to be found.

I need an expert. Anyone .... anyone.

edited December 1969

Yeah I am no expert but did you do what I suggested....look in the surfaces Pane while in Preset mode...also what mode are you using with Smart Content, Files or Products?

edited December 1969

Okay I've gotten a step farther. The Texture Set now shows up in Surfaces under Presets, but as soon as I select an item to apply the texture, they all disappear except the one texture that came with the Clothing Set.

Making headway here, just haven't crossed the finish line yet.

I certainly do appreciate your help Szark.

edited December 1969

There has to be a way to attach the Texture Set to the Clothing Set. That seems to be the problem.

edited December 1969

My pleasure but I still think something is wrong with the metadata and without others confirming your issue here it would be best to make a Bug Report https://bugs.daz3d.com/ and here is how to make one How to make a good bug report for DAZ 3D

edited November 2012

Ledhead said:
    There has to be a way to attach the Texture Set to the Clothing Set. That seems to be the problem.
    Yes you can make your own metadata but it is not easy http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/packaging/tutorials/adding_metadata/start and http://www.sharecg.com/v/58412/related/3/PDF-Tutorial/Creating-Homebrew-Metadata cridgit is the expert on metadata
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited November 2012

Casual Afternoon Textures do not show up in Smart Content.
    In the Content Library the icons do not show the Materials tag in the upper right hand corner.
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit using DS 4.5
    I installed 1.0 version. I'll check for an upgrade to see if it installs properly.

Edited: It has not been upgraded.

Post edited by ledhead on