Auto Fit Question

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was wondering about the Auto Fit and how it works. I know if you load Genesis and try to apply clothes from V4 or some other Gen4 model that the auto fit will make adjustments to fit the clothes to Genesis. What I don't know is if it will do the same thing with clothes from the Gen3 or Gen2 series to fit to Genesis? I do seem to recall the morphs will not transfer, yet the bones of the clothes will, not sure about what is called movements which boils down to poses for the clothes to save you time when doing a scene.

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Morphs are kept with DS4.5, but tbh many aren't worth keeping, the mesh has changed shape which means the morphs don't work the same or even look the same.

Autofit uses a selection of Clone morphs to determine how to reshape the mesh, these Clones are Genesis morphed into an almost identical shape of the figure the Clone is named after, it uses the difference between the base shape and morphed shape to calculate how to reshape the clothing.

It then deletes the rig and mesh grouping from the clothing, as they are no longer required, at the same time it welds the mesh to make sure there are no duplicate vertices. Then it loads the Projection Template you selected and transfers the rig and WM data from it to the clothing item.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the explanation, so the only thing I am not sure of yet is whether or not it will auto fit the clothing of any version of any model to Genesis. I ask because I have a lot of V3 clothes I would still like to use without a load of tweaking.

edited November 2012

I just got a new problem. The My Library is not where it's suppose to be, so now I can't install anything. I have only installed the program and the My Library that is suppose to be in Documents is not there, instead it's somewhere else. I checked both the programs(86) and the documents sections of the computer and there is no proper runtime to install to...what happened? Did they change where things are suppose to go?

Edit...Solved the installation problem, had to move the folder to the correct place and now everything installs to properly. Have no idea why Daz didn't install the library folder to the correct place.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Autofit will convert Gen 3 clothing to Genesis if you have the clones for the figure the clothing was originally made for. Morphs transfer in DS4.5
    The clones come with the shapes.
    Here's a link to the bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Morphs are kept with DS4.5, but tbh many aren't worth keeping, the mesh has changed shape which means the morphs don't work the same or even look the same.

Autofit uses a selection of Clone morphs to determine how to reshape the mesh, these Clones are Genesis morphed into an almost identical shape of the figure the Clone is named after, it uses the difference between the base shape and morphed shape to calculate how to reshape the clothing.

It then deletes the rig and mesh grouping from the clothing, as they are no longer required, at the same time it welds the mesh to make sure there are no duplicate vertices. Then it loads the Projection Template you selected and transfers the rig and WM data from it to the clothing item.

I disagree greatly. The morphs work just fine.

Kendall

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

CalieVee said:
    Thank you for the explanation, so the only thing I am not sure of yet is whether or not it will auto fit the clothing of any version of any model to Genesis. I ask because I have a lot of V3 clothes I would still like to use without a load of tweaking.
    You need to have a Clone of that figure before Autofit will convert it's clothing, Genesis comes with the Gen 4 clones, you can get Clones for the Gen 3 adults from the Iconic shapes pack and one for David 3 from his morph pack, to date no other figures have clones, so it's only the Gen 3 adults and the Gen 4's that work with it.

Blue is the original Poser figure with the G4 morph dialed up, Green is the autofitted version with the same G4 morph dialed up, yep that works, NOT!

The deltas don't change when you autofit something, they still move the vertices the same distance, the problem is the starting point is different so the morph never looks like it did with the original mesh. Adjustment morphs might still have some value, but most of the main shapes are a waste of space, to make matters worse (or better considering how far off they are) they don't even "auto follow" so your still using the auto generated morphs.

Render_1.jpg
    805 x 647 - 69K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Sadie has a clone it comes with Sadie for Genesis.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited November 2012

@CalieVee
    I bought this DAZ product "V3 and M3 Shapes for Genesis. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis

It loads into the Shaping tab-make sure you select Genesis first then go to shaping tab, find either Male or Female sliders which will also have sliders for M3 and V3. I have had very few problems with the autofit.

It works this way: after you select from Content Library (forget about "Smart Content" at this point, since most V3/M3 doesn't have the Metadata so it won't show up in that pane. To get the clothes item to show up you need to know the correct file name, or else just type "dress" or "shirt" and scroll through. I use "boots" for shoes, and "dress-tight" for necklace, and "pants-tight" for belts. Just figure which part of the body is meant by the list and choose the nearest one.

You can also just import the clothes after selecting Genesis. Which ever way you choose, usually a small window pops up and asks what is the legacy form the clothing item was originally made for. Select V3 for example. Then further down the window is a brief selection of clothes types, example dress, and then a smaller side window "loose" or "tight". Chose and click apply. You will see a little time for the program to fit the item. Most of the time it fits well. But most users notice that shoes will often not work. There is no shoes, only boots and only thigh high to choose. I just fidget and hide the toes which works often enough.

Now, sometimes the little autofit window doesnt come up. BTW it doesnt say it's autofit. So you have to select the clothing item from Scene tab and then go to Parameters tab and choose "MISC". You usually will see the button that says "Fit To" and of course, choose Genesis, and follow the same steps as I gave above. Hair sometimes fits better when you unparent it. Then parent again to Genesis before posing.

Now, here's the really cool thing that Genesis does...after you load the clothes and fit them, you can go to the shaping tab and move the slider down for male M3 and move up for V3, presto--twice the clothing for male, female and yes, kids!

I am just learning the DAZ 4.0, but I am fairly sure it will work the same way in 4.5. edited to say I don't know about character morphs, I think that requires a different plugin software, maybe called Gen X?

I hope this helps.

Post edited by IceScribe on
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone, I have the information I need now. From what everyone is saying, I have to buy the iconic packs for the models of the clothes I already have to get them to fit Genesis. I was just hoping there was a way to do so without buying those extra packs.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

CalieVee said:
    Thank you everyone, I have the information I need now. From what everyone is saying, I have to buy the iconic packs for the models of the clothes I already have to get them to fit Genesis. I was just hoping there was a way to do so without buying those extra packs.

Basically, if it's not the base Gen4, then yep...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Blue is the original Poser figure with the G4 morph dialed up, Green is the autofitted version with the same G4 morph dialed up, yep that works, NOT!

The deltas don't change when you autofit something, they still move the vertices the same distance, the problem is the starting point is different so the morph never looks like it did with the original mesh. Adjustment morphs might still have some value, but most of the main shapes are a waste of space, to make matters worse (or better considering how far off they are) they don't even "auto follow" so your still using the auto generated morphs.

Oh, of course, character morphs won't be much use, but those get autogenerated for Genesis. The problem was the loss of movement and adjustment morphs, which are now retained.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    @CalieVee
    I bought this DAZ product "V3 and M3 Shapes for Genesis. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis

It loads into the Shaping tab-make sure you select Genesis first then go to shaping tab, find either Male or Female sliders which will also have sliders for M3 and V3. I have had very few problems with the autofit.

It works this way: after you select from Content Library (forget about "Smart Content" at this point, since most V3/M3 doesn't have the Metadata so it won't show up in that pane. To get the clothes item to show up you need to know the correct file name, or else just type "dress" or "shirt" and scroll through. I use "boots" for shoes, and "dress-tight" for necklace, and "pants-tight" for belts. Just figure which part of the body is meant by the list and choose the nearest one.

You can also just import the clothes after selecting Genesis. Which ever way you choose, usually a small window pops up and asks what is the legacy form the clothing item was originally made for. Select V3 for example. Then further down the window is a brief selection of clothes types, example dress, and then a smaller side window "loose" or "tight". Chose and click apply. You will see a little time for the program to fit the item. Most of the time it fits well. But most users notice that shoes will often not work. There is no shoes, only boots and only thigh high to choose. I just fidget and hide the toes which works often enough.

Now, sometimes the little autofit window doesnt come up. BTW it doesnt say it's autofit. So you have to select the clothing item from Scene tab and then go to Parameters tab and choose "MISC". You usually will see the button that says "Fit To" and of course, choose Genesis, and follow the same steps as I gave above. Hair sometimes fits better when you unparent it. Then parent again to Genesis before posing.

Now, here's the really cool thing that Genesis does...after you load the clothes and fit them, you can go to the shaping tab and move the slider down for male M3 and move up for V3, presto--twice the clothing for male, female and yes, kids!

I am just learning the DAZ 4.0, but I am fairly sure it will work the same way in 4.5. edited to say I don't know about character morphs, I think that requires a different plugin software, maybe called Gen X?

I hope this helps.

I'm a bit confused by this. I have the shape package referred to, properly installed, but V3 does not show up in my Auto-fit list when trying to fit V3 clothes to Genesis. Am I supposed to be looking for V3 somewhere else?