Lenore Comic?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I got an advertisement for a Lenore comic book today from Coxixology. Do you think this is coincidental? There is more than a superficial resemblance. I had hoped to make a CG comic with the Lenore figure and possibly post them to Facebook, but I'm afraid of being accused of copyright infringement.

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

If you look, it's a totally different character that just happens to have the same name.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Lenore is the name of a poem written by Edgar Allen Poe.

Popular among Goths just for that reason.

• edited November 2012

Actually the character Lenore was featured in the Edgar Allan Poe poem, The Raven (which I assume is why we also have a raven figure called Nevermore--which the Raven was quoted as saying in the poem). Poe's poem is in the public domain, so no problems there I'm sure. The 3D figure does bear a striking resemblance to the comic book character--the optional hair for her which look like dreads and is drawn back with buttons looks like the character's hair in the comic book. I'm not trying to stir up any controversy here--I just wonder if the comic book publisher would have issues with it. Of course if one does not sell a comic book using the figure and calls it "fan art" they probably would not take issue. It just seems more than coincidental.

I love the figure and almost never buy female figures so it's unusual for me to take interest in this charcater at all, but I do like the 3D figure very much.

Post edited by tom.santomartino_8315241f65 on
  • jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited November 2012

Naw. I don't see an issue. The Lenore figure resembles the "feel" of Tim Burton's (just to name one person) stop animation movies.

The art style of the comic books linked to remind me of Tim Burton's "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy" book.

tumblr_mb0s3fB6Ci1rpx0f4o1_500.jpg
    500 x 333 - 120K
    Post edited by jmper on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

One of the hair styles had a similar look to the Lenore comic, but the figure doesn't look like her.

When I first saw the words Lenore in the newsletter I though that a licensed version of the comic character was released till I saw the picture of her. Not the first time that has happened, where I saw the name of a product at DAZ and thought it might be connected to an established movie or series till I saw the picture.

RoboGeisha is also the name of a Japanese Movie.
    Frankie Stein is a character from Monster High

You have some DAZ products with similar names in the shop.

The comic Lenoe is very famous if you didn't know. I have a Lenore steering wheel cover in my car.

The comic issues come out very infrequently.

edited December 1969

Tomsde said:
    Actually the character Lenore was featured in the Edgar Allan Poe poem, The Raven (which I assume is why we also have a raven figure called Nevermore--which the Raven was quoted as saying in the poem). Poe's poem is in the public domain, so no problems there I'm sure. The 3D figure does bear a striking resemblance to the comic book character--the optional hair for her which look like dreads and is drawn back with buttons looks like the character's hair in the comic book. I'm not trying to stir up any controversy here--I just wonder if the comic book publisher would have issues with it. Of course if one does not sell a comic book using the figure and calls it "fan art" they probably would not take issue. It just seems more than coincidental.

I love the figure and almost never buy female figures so it's unusual for me to take interest in this charcater at all, but I do like the 3D figure very much.

Lenore by Edgar Allen Poe

Ah, broken is the golden bowl! the spirit flown forever!
    Let the bell toll! -a saintly soul floats on the Stygian river -
    And, Guy De Vere, hast thou no tear? -weep now or never more!
    See! on yon drear and rigid bier low lies thy love, Lenore!
    Come! let the burial rite be read -the funeral song be sung! -
    An anthem for the queenliest dead that ever died so young -
    A dirge for her, the doubly dead in that she died so young.

"Wretches! ye loved her for her wealth and hated her for her pride,
    And when she fell in feeble health, ye blessed her -that she died!
    How shall the ritual, then, be read? -the requiem how be sung
    By you -by yours, the evil eye, -by yours, the slanderous tongue
    That did to death the innocence that died, and died so young?"

Peccavimus; but rave not thus! and let a Sabbath song
    Go up to God so solemnly the dead may feel no wrong!
    The sweet Lenore hath "gone before," with Hope, that flew beside,
    Leaving thee wild for the dear child that should have been thy bride -
    For her, the fair and debonnaire, that now so lowly lies,
    The life upon her yellow hair but not within her eyes -
    The life still there, upon her hair -the death upon her eyes.

Avaunt! tonight my heart is light. No dirge will I upraise,
    But waft the angel on her flight with a paean of old days!
    Let no bell toll! -lest her sweet soul, amid its hallowed mirth,
    Should catch the note, as it doth float up from the damned Earth.
    To friends above, from fiends below, the indignant ghost is riven -
    From Hell unto a high estate far up within the Heaven -
    From grief and groan to a golden throne beside the King of Heaven."

Enjoy.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

Tomsde said:
    ... Lenore was featured in the Edgar Allan Poe poem... Poe's poem is in the public domain...

It wouldn't matter if the poem wasn't public domain, one can't copywrite a person's name, or anything else that's been in public use prior to the person trying to copywrite it (The name Lenore has been around for a while.) What would be more likely of an issue is if the character resembled someone's character, such as one from Tim Burton, too closely, regardless of the name.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

No but if the name of the product and the likeness was the same (which as it is mentioned is not) then that would be grounds.

• edited December 1969

"Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
    Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
    `Wretch,' I cried, `thy God hath lent thee - by these angels he has sent thee
    Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!
    Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!'
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'"

--the Raven
    Edgar Allan Poe

I was wonder if we can have a male companion for Lenore, maybe called Poe?