Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited November 2012

Gregorius said:
    I decided to update my M4 Superman while I took a break from trying to troubleshoot DSON, and this is the result. The look is deliberately classic, 'cause quite frankly, the latest rendition of the suit is just a big eyesore for me. I was never really fond of Singer's version (the codpiece rode too low, for starters) but after seeing what DC and Snyder have cooked up for "Man of Steel," I was ready to beg the Powers That Be to bring Singer back! I especially can't stand the new S-crest! One of the most iconic emblems in the world, and they still feel the need to "fix" something that was far from broken in the first place! And no John Williams theme music? I'm sorry, but that tune has become an integral part of the character by now!

So, in a way, this is as much for protest as it is for fun, LOL! All ranting aside, I may yet give "Man of Steel" a chance. It looks like the writing could be good, if I can manage to look past the aesthetic blasphemies.

Great looking Superman you have there. :)

I agree with everything you've said. Hate the S shield they "fixed" in the 2013 movie. It looks a whole lot like the one Superman of Earth-2 wears and I always hated that one!

As for watching the movie itself...I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. In interviews, Synder said a significant portion of the film will be of a war torn Krypton. Then we have Jonathan and Martha Kent in the movie, which means another origins movie on top of that. Is there going to be room enough for us fans to FINALLY see Superman throw a punch? Yeah...but probably only a 1 minute boss battle in the end, which is a serious turn off and the failure of some movies now-a-days (i.e. Iron Man 2, Thor). Which is beginning to become more and more common. We don't need another origins film, everyone knows Superman's origin and we don't need a recycled villian from a former movie and we most certainly don't need to see a story about a war torn Krypton. Not interested in that.

And don't get me started on a recycled villian....again...namely Zod....

Post edited by Knight22179 on
    edited November 2012

*Shrugs*

Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    Landshark: knock,knock.

"Candygram!"------ (am I showing my age)

No...uh......plumber, ma'am.

I didn't ask for a plumber.

Oh...um.....candygram.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    edited December 1969

Candygram for Mongo, Candygram for Mongo!!
    Sorry couldn't resist that one!

• AngryDragonRiderAngryDragonRider Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So I've had some free time this week thanks to Hurricane Sandy making it impossible to go anywhere in NYC , and I spent a lot of it trying to finish up some projects I've had laying on my HD for months. I'll be updating my sharecg page with a bunch of textures for the M4 and V4 bodysuits, plus some for Joe's Mach 1.6 bodysuit.

I am looking for some feedback for the costumes below, however. I kinda lke them but there's something just not woking for me with each one. Hopefully your guys' input will help me sort this out. My objections are mostly aesthetic, but there are some real problems with Speed and Quicksilver's costumes when they move.

Maximoff_02.jpg
    1352 x 1749 - 164K
    Maximoff_03.jpg
    1352 x 1749 - 149K
    hulkling_test.jpg
    900 x 1164 - 53K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Candygram for Mongo, Candygram for Mongo!!
    Sorry couldn't resist that one!

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

edited December 1969

So I've had some free time this week thanks to Hurricane Sandy making it impossible to go anywhere in NYC , and I spent a lot of it trying to finish up some projects I've had laying on my HD for months. I'll be updating my sharecg page with a bunch of textures for the M4 and V4 bodysuits, plus some for Joe's Mach 1.6 bodysuit.

I am looking for some feedback for the costumes below, however. I kinda lke them but there's something just not woking for me with each one. Hopefully your guys' input will help me sort this out. My objections are mostly aesthetic, but there are some real problems with Speed and Quicksilver's costumes when they move.

If you want feedback, go to DeviantArt, they are much better at it.

All of these look good on my end. Don't really have any issues with the textures you've done. Except maybe Quicksilver's bolt on his chest. I think I remember it extending up over his shoulder and down his back too. That's the only thing I can spot that you can fix.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    SmallFry said:
    BTW, Joe, where are the ripped pants from that you're using in your Shark Man renders?

Mr Hyde

Thanks, Joe!

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited December 1969

I've got a wip Wiccan cape floating around as well as hulkling shoulder morphs. My versions of Wiccan and Hulkling face morphs are also included in my extraordinary men package: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/joequicks-extraordinary-men/87989

I'm not necessarily trying to pressure you into buying them. But looking at the promo, I'd be curious if you could spot which morphs I made with those characters in mind

edited December 1969

All of these look good on my end. Don't really have any issues with the textures you've done. Except maybe Quicksilver's bolt on his chest. I think I remember it extending up over his shoulder and down his back too. That's the only thing I can spot that you can fix.

I dont really look for feedback on DA, as it tends to take a lot longer to get a response unless I post the pic in a bunch of different groups and such. This thread is really my target demographic anyway - this is where I find those who provide some of the most multifunctional, cool super hero props around that are also free. Those individuals are largely responsible for geting me into the creation side of 3D, and though I'm not yet anywhere near as talented I aspire to be soon enough :).

In regards to Quicksilver, you're right about the bolt on his chest going higher. The problem is that when I place it higher it has so far bended in a strange way when the costume is moved. I based each of these costumes off of the work of Jim Cheung in Avengers: The Children's Crusade because I have seen a dozen artists draw Pietro's costume a dozen ways. Big bot, thin bolt, back bolt, green, blue, green/dark green .... apparently nobody can decide on a unified look for him. Cheung's design isn't necessarily my fav but his lacks the bolt on back. If you're interested I can do another costume if you can give me a reference.

I've got a wip Wiccan cape floating around as well as hulkling shoulder morphs. My versions of Wiccan and Hulkling face morphs are also included in my extraordinary men package: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/joequicks-extraordinary-men/87989

I'm not necessarily trying to pressure you into buying them. But looking at the promo, I'd be curious if you could spot which morphs I made with those characters in mind

I'm guessing they would be the ones called Billy and Teddy ;) I never took the time to look at those morphs since I mostly spin dial most of my characters faces but there are some really cool ones in there!
    Any chance of a preview of those Hulkling shoulders and Wiccan? I'd be delighted if I didn't have to keep working on mines :)

edited December 1969

I dont really look for feedback on DA, as it tends to take a lot longer to get a response unless I post the pic in a bunch of different groups and such. This thread is really my target demographic anyway - this is where I find those who provide some of the most multifunctional, cool super hero props around that are also free. Those individuals are largely responsible for geting me into the creation side of 3D, and though I'm not yet anywhere near as talented I aspire to be soon enough :).

In regards to Quicksilver, you're right about the bolt on his chest going higher. The problem is that when I place it higher it has so far bended in a strange way when the costume is moved. I based each of these costumes off of the work of Jim Cheung in Avengers: The Children's Crusade because I have seen a dozen artists draw Pietro's costume a dozen ways. Big bot, thin bolt, back bolt, green, blue, green/dark green .... apparently nobody can decide on a unified look for him. Cheung's design isn't necessarily my fav but his lacks the bolt on back. If you're interested I can do another costume if you can give me a reference.

I'm guessing they would be the ones called Billy and Teddy ;) I never took the time to look at those morphs since I mostly spin dial most of my characters faces but there are some really cool ones in there!
    Any chance of a preview of those Hulkling shoulders and Wiccan? I'd be delighted if I didn't have to keep working on mines :)

The cape was never rigged and the shoulder morph was never tested (so it might bend hideously). I'd imagine that as the months dragged out between releases of issues of Children's Crusade, I just lost interest.

WiccanCape.jpg
    800 x 600 - 175K
    hulklingshoulders.jpg
    800 x 600 - 188K
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:

The cape was never rigged and the shoulder morph was never tested (so it might bend hideously). I'd imagine that as the months dragged out between releases of issues of Children's Crusade, I just lost interest.

Shoulder morphs are so freakin' awesome! Much better than what I tried and failed to execute. I also had some bending issue with my morph, so I was considering using displacemnt maps instead of morphs ... but I'd be happy to test yours out if you wanted someone to beta-test. As for the cape - equally awesome, but in all honesty I don't get why someone with Wiccan's powers would be wearing a tattered scarf-thingy. The cape my version of Wiccan is wearing is from the Witchhunter M4 set, and I think it captures the essence without making him look like a war-torn refugee from the magical future (like Hope Summers, who also wears a silly scarf-thingy).

edited November 2012

Joequick said:

Shoulder morphs are so freakin' awesome! Much better than what I tried and failed to execute. I also had some bending issue with my morph, so I was considering using displacemnt maps instead of morphs ... but I'd be happy to test yours out if you wanted someone to beta-test. As for the cape - equally awesome, but in all honesty I don't get why someone with Wiccan's powers would be wearing a tattered scarf-thingy. The cape my version of Wiccan is wearing is from the Witchhunter M4 set, and I think it captures the essence without making him look like a war-torn refugee from the magical future (like Hope Summers, who also wears a silly scarf-thingy).

You post your sharecg freebies to the Poser category, does that mean you're a Poser user by default? Do you use studio much?

Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited November 2012

Raphael and a few shots of the accessories

FootWraps.jpg
    800 x 600 - 357K
    kneepadshighpoly.jpg
    800 x 600 - 192K
    Mask.jpg
    800 x 600 - 268K
    saibpr.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K
    Raphael.jpg
    615 x 800 - 169K
    edited December 1969

quick render of the sai in studio, I'm pleased with the roughness of the metal and the wood grain on the handle.

SaiStudio.jpg
    615 x 800 - 94K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Looks really really good Joe! Love the metal effects.

• crikettcrikett Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Back to playing around with my favorite X-Man today with a little bit inspired by issue 133:

UnleashedF.jpg
    800 x 700 - 177K
    edited December 1969

wip scene with Raphael and zombies, need to go back and make some corrections to the sai and hand, and see if ray traced shadows make the inside of the shell look less luminous.

tvzwip.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 443K
    edited November 2012

some others

widescreenraph.jpg
    769 x 432 - 123K
    Raphael2post600.jpg
    461 x 600 - 128K
    tvz.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 375K
    edited December 1969

With some of Ron's blood and mud.

tvzp4web.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 381K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

WOW! Totally gory!

edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    Joequick said:

You post your sharecg freebies to the Poser category, does that mean you're a Poser user by default? Do you use studio much?

Actually, I'm using Studio exclusively. I post them to the Poser category since my understanding is that Studio users know they can use the same texture maps that Poser users can, but that Poser users may not bother looking at something that is in the DAZ category.

On that note, here are a few recent uploads to my ShareCG page. There are many more but for some reason ShareCG won't let me upload at the moment.

Bastion.jpg
    1200 x 1552 - 809K
    Namor01.jpg
    1200 x 1552 - 137K
    Flashes01.png
    1200 x 1552 - 3M
    Cyclops001.png
    1200 x 1553 - 2M
    Bishop01.jpg
    1500 x 1941 - 242K
    edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    Joequick said:

Actually, I'm using Studio exclusively. I post them to the Poser category since my understanding is that Studio users know they can use the same texture maps that Poser users can, but that Poser users may not bother looking at something that is in the DAZ category.

On that note, here are a few recent uploads to my ShareCG page. There are many more but for some reason ShareCG won't let me upload at the moment.

Ok. If you're still interested, my morphs look funny when the arms bend down as well. This can be fixed with JCMs. I can make the JCM morph easily, but to be honest, I don't want to set it up to work. (mainly because I've never made an injection pose that also injects jcms before). So I can make the corrective morphs and send you an inject pose which ads the shoulder shape as well as rshldrdown and lshldrdown jcms, and you'll have to be responsible for setting them up to work automatically (or just dialing them in by hand for a manual adjustment).

here's the how to for setting them up to apply automatically for when we get that far.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/creating_joint_controlled_morphs/start

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...so is this thread just for the recreation of existing heroes from the media or are original concepts allowed?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so is this thread just for the recreation of existing heroes from the media or are original concepts allowed?

Both, although it leans heavily toward icons. But it's all good. :)
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Mr J and Mr B. Same picture twice, one in the daytime and one at night. Couldn't decide which i like best.

bat_man_v_joker_2.jpg
    1352 x 729 - 418K
    bat_man_v_joker_1.jpg
    1352 x 729 - 600K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited December 1969

My version of Superman...

David

superman_HC_110212-01B-sm.jpg
    750 x 1050 - 531K
    edited December 1969

A few more outfits on ShareCG

Quicksilver01.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 93K
    Speed01.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 91K
    Wiccan01.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 157K
    Jean001.jpg
    1200 x 1552 - 192K
    Dagger001.jpg
    1200 x 1552 - 171K
  • equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited November 2012

A bit more nostalgia for my youth...
    (Made possible in no small measure by Joequick, Cagedrei, Ravenhair, the3dwizard, Poserworld, Vadlor, Dyald, Neftis, goldtassel. Architecture by Predatron.)

"Circa '67"
    Holy Dutch angles, Batman!

Circa67_full.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 997K
    Post edited by equinoxx5 on
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    A bit more nostalgia for my youth...
    (Made possible in no small measure by Joequick, Cagedrei, Ravenhair, the3dwizard, Poserworld, Vadlor, Dyald, Neftis, goldtassel. Architecture by Predatron.)

"Circa '67"
    Holy Dutch angles, Batman!

This is fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.