Camera in Bryce?

Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

In Daz Studio, I can move the camera side to side, rotate it 180 degrees, zoom in and out, etc.

I find that I can only rotate the scene in Bryce but nothing else. How do I zoom in on something and zoom out or move from side to side or something?

The version of Bryce I'm using is Bryce 7

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The pic below shows the camera controls.
    No matter which view you are using (Director or Camera), you can move your angle of view using these controls.
    The little green dots (above the large direction ball) control Camera tilt and field of view.

Hope this helps.

Picture-7.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 221K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited November 2012

There are a few cameras in Bryce. They are bound to various keys or can be selected from the little menu shows (image 1).

If you are using the directors camera, that might make it seem like you are rotating around the scene.

The perspective camera - (short cut key "1") - may suit you better and has the advantage that it shows up in the wireframe view (image 2).

Also the dotted grey lines extending from the wireframe camera offer a guide as to the setting of the field of view.

Image2.jpg
    749 x 515 - 188K
    Image1.jpg
    400 x 517 - 109K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

You can control the camera also by entering the parameters you wish.

camera.gif
    543 x 698 - 44K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

You can also move the camera by left clicking on it in the Top View and dragging it to any location. The short line extending from the camera allows you to rotate the camera when you hold your mouse on the tip and it changes to an 'X'. It can also be used to align the camera if you place the cursor at the tip, wait for it to change into an 'X' then hold down the left mouse button and drag the tip outward.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

There are a few cameras in Bryce. They are bound to various keys or can be selected from the little menu shows (image 1).

If you are using the directors camera, that might make it seem like you are rotating around the scene.

The perspective camera - (short cut key "1") - may suit you better and has the advantage that it shows up in the wireframe view (image 2).

Also the dotted grey lines extending from the wireframe camera offer a guide as to the setting of the field of view.

Also, since as David pointed out that the perspective camera is selectable, when using it you can also move the camera's position using the edit option controls of rotate and reposition indicated in the first picture. As for zooming in and out this can be done with any camera by using the zoom controls indicated in the second picture.

camera_control2.png
    800 x 502 - 373K
    camera_control.png
    800 x 506 - 397K
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited October 2018

Sometimes it's very useful to orbit camera around selection (like you do in Zbrush; you can't do that in d|s natively https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/121451/fastest-way-to-do-camera-orbit-navigation )

So this is something in Bryce about it that makes that a bit more lengthy.. but it works!

I can:

1) Continue to use perspective camera, in this case i have to do "track object" in attributes and then use X/Y/Z controllers to rotate (trackball doesnt work). Then i should untrack object when finished.

2) Give directors camera position of perspective camera and choose "center selection" mode (perspective camera can't use those modes). Now i can orbit around seelcted object using trackball while X/Y/Z controllers work globally instead. Then at some point i should go back to "free camera" mode and/or return back to perspective camera.

Anything i do wrong? As both methods aren't straightforward... Maybe.

Post edited by akmerlow on
    akmerlow said:

Sometimes it's very useful to orbit camera around selection (like you do in Zbrush; you can't do that in d|s natively https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/121451/fastest-way-to-do-camera-orbit-navigation )

So this is something in Bryce about it that makes that a bit more lengthy.. but it works!

I can:

1) Continue to use perspective camera, in this case i have to do "track object" in attributes and then use X/Y/Z controllers to rotate (trackball doesnt work). Then i should untrack object when finished.

2) Give directors camera position of perspective camera and choose "center selection" mode (perspective camera can't use those modes). Now i can orbit around seelcted object using trackball while X/Y/Z controllers work globally instead. Then at some point i should go back to "free camera" mode and/or return back to perspective camera.

Anything i do wrong? As both methods aren't straightforward... Maybe.

See the little circle icon at the top left of the main workspace window?

Click on it. smiley

If you mean "flyaround preview", it's something weird: it rotates itself at highest speed possible, and doesnt look that selection of this or that object influences it in any way.

Yes it was a bit of a joke.... Much like the Flyaround View icon, which, when it was first introduced ran fairly well on the much slower computers we were using back then. laugh

If you need to constantly look round an object (maybe you're modelling something within Bryce), I'd suggest creating a flat 2D disc and put it's object center at the center of your model. Then set the Directors Camera facing Bryce North on the bottom edge of the disc and parent the Directors Camera to it. Then when you need to spin round it, select the 2D disc and use the rotate Y axis wheel as you normally would to rotate any object... The camera will go round with it always pointing toward the center of the disc and therefore always pointing at your oject as you circle round it.... Need to look at a different element in the scene, then simply move the disc center to the center of where you want to rotate around.

Hope this helps.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755
    edited October 2018

Or you could create various camera viewpoints. Put the camera at various places from where you want a view, click on one of the dots each time after placing the camera where you like it (save view; it will turn green) and when you want to revisit that point of view, you just click that dot to go to that view.

save camera viewpoints.JPG
    293 x 526 - 28K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Ok, thanks for tips!