Using Ctrl with select

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in New Users

According to a tutorial I should be able to select more than one object by holding down the Ctrl key. But this doesn't happen, is there a setting somewhere to turn this on or off?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What program are you trying to use it with.

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your response, I thought I was looking at a DS4 tute.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    According to a tutorial I should be able to select more than one object by holding down the Ctrl key. But this doesn't happen, is there a setting somewhere to turn this on or off?

If you hold the Ctrl key down, it should make multiple selections in DS4 in the Scene tab at least. You can select one, miss out a few, and then select another by holding down Ctrl. To select all from your first selection, to another selection lower down, and select all in between, use the Shift key.

This is the default behaviour. If you have changed anything in Customize you may have lost that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    Thanks for your response, I thought I was looking at a DS4 tute.

Ah, did you want this merged with your other thread, is that the problem ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

You can also use the ctrl key in the viewport - select something, then hold down the ctrl key (cmd for Mac) and click on additional items. Unless they've changed it the default behaviour is for the first click on a figure to select the whole figure, the second to select a body part, so that may lead to your getting unexpected results.

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

The more I read about DS4 the more confused I become, are you saying this Ctrl click function has been discontinued?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

No it still works. BUT

I have found it depends on what you are selecting. If you want to select multiple parts on a single object and you are using the Selection Tool (pointed Arrow) then you have to first Select the object, then select your first part, hold Ctrl and select the next. I have just tested it and it works fine.

BUT if you want to select parts from more than one item then I find the ActivePose Tool the best when choosing the parts in the ViewPort (see image below)

OR Even easier select everything you want in the Scene Pane which for me it is easiest

CtrlSelecting.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 433K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

You can also choose how the various node selection tools work in the Tool settings pane, with the tool active. Just go to the Node selection Mode option at the bottom, change it from Root Node First to Node (you can still select the root node, the figure, by double-clicking).

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You can also choose how the various node selection tools work in the Tool settings pane, with the tool active. Just go to the Node selection Mode option at the bottom, change it from Root Node First to Node (you can still select the root node, the figure, by double-clicking).
    Yeah good stuff Richard. I forget about the Tool Settings Pane.