Which Files Do I Need to Install?

MrWizard1024MrWizard1024 Posts: 51
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I had to reset several bundles, and now am not clear which files to install. I'm running DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6.

1. Do I install the "DSON" or "DSON Core" files?
2. Do I install the "Legacy" files?
3. Do I install the "Poser Companion" files?

Thanks for clarifying this.

MrWizard1024

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For DS 4.5 you only need the DSON Core
    For earlier versions of DS (4.0 or 3) you only need the Legacy
    For Poser 9/PP2012 you need DSON Core and Poser Companion Files

• LmWolfSpiritLmWolfSpirit Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

As I have both Poser Pro 2012 and DS 4.5, can I install the Poser Companion files in the Studio/My Library folder?

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but the search I tried has not given me the answer.)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited December 1969

As I have both Poser Pro 2012 and DS 4.5, can I install the Poser Companion files in the Studio/My Library folder?

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but the search I tried has not given me the answer.)

Yes, I do that (except it isn't called My Library, but I use the main DS folder for the Companion files).

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Richard when you say you use the main DS folder for companion files...what folder and files are you referring to exactly ? sorry if that sounds dumb but I am trying to set up a brand new system and am trying to figure out the best way to do that...(I am only using DS 4.5, no Poser ) but it seems that the same terms are being used for different setups and I am really confused, so I am trying to clarify some of the info going around

Kharma

edited December 1969

Yes, I do that (except it isn't called My Library, but I use the main DS folder for the Companion files).

Hmmm, interesting. I have been putting all trx files (except prop stuff that has a Poser counterpart) into the Content folder and all trx stuff that is related to people, clothes or hair in My Library. I will now be adding the CF files to My Library.

I think it is very confusing that some props are labeled trx rather than ds now. I am thinking that only Genesis stuff should get the trx label.

edited December 1969

Some files I d/l tdo dooday, such AS THE TENT only have 2 files the tentmetadata_1.0_ds.exe - pc and thetent_1.0_dpc.exe-pc.....do I install both? Is this just a poser file..there seems to be no continuity between how files are named. Same with the V4 MFDExp1 and 2 there is the metadata file and the dpc file....

Kharma

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Some files I d/l tdo dooday, such AS THE TENT only have 2 files the tentmetadata_1.0_ds.exe - pc and thetent_1.0_dpc.exe-pc.....do I install both? Is this just a poser file..there seems to be no continuity between how files are named. Same with the V4 MFDExp1 and 2 there is the metadata file and the dpc file....

Kharma

I agree with the file naming issues. It just makes things more confusing.

If you are using DS, then you need the metadata files (installed in DS). If you are only using Poser, then you do not. Many of the dpc files contain both the DS materials as well as the Poser materials. It is usually noted on the product page.

If you are using Poser, then you definitely need the dpc files.

Hope that helps.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,822
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Richard when you say you use the main DS folder for companion files...what folder and files are you referring to exactly ? sorry if that sounds dumb but I am trying to set up a brand new system and am trying to figure out the best way to do that...(I am only using DS 4.5, no Poser ) but it seems that the same terms are being used for different setups and I am really confused, so I am trying to clarify some of the info going around

Kharma

I mean I install to the folder that has the Genesis files in it - the equivalent of the My Library folder. I didn't put the content in my documents folder, and I didn't call the folder My Library, but it is the folder I told the DS installer to use instead of that.

edited December 1969

ok thanks for the explanation :)